cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Govt wants to make living in your RV (fulltime) illegal

rockchuk
Explorer
Explorer
Better spread the word on this - who do we contact to squelch this?

http://www.activistpost.com/2016/03/hud-wants-to-make-living-in-a-tiny-house-or-rv-illegal.html
25 REPLIES 25

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
If it involves the government it can only mean problems for "We The People".

90 percent right. We need government. We just don't need the extra 90 percent we get now.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is nothing now, nor in the proposed new definition that precludes anyone from living full time in an RV. "Recreation Vehicles" have always by definition been intended for temporary use by the manufacturers, and many of their manuals even clearly state that. The purpose of the new wording, which by the way, the RVIA and other RV groups have been pressing for for some time, is simply to make the separation between RV's and manufactured housing clearer. Under the current wording and HUD standards, some 5'vers and park models could come under HUD's regulations. HUD has made it clear that they do consider 5'vers RV's, and have chosen to ignore any regulation of them. The Escapees RV Club supports the updated definition, albeit with some suggestions to make the difference even clearer. The new definition will make it quite clear that when a manufacturer says his product is an RV, that it meets certain specifications that apply only to RV's. How we, as the end users, chose to use our RV's, will continue to be a personal decision, subject only to local laws and ordinances regarding when and where we can live in our RV's full time. Really, the sky is not falling...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
If it involves the government it can only mean problems for "We The People".
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Mr__Camper
Explorer
Explorer
I guess HUD has solved all of the other problems on their list and turned the last page over and found this.
Mr. Camper
Mrs. Camper
Fuzzy Kids = Tipper(RIP), PoLar(RIP), Ginger, Pasha
2013 Open Range Light; 274ORLS
2004 Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel
Retired and love spending the kid's inheritance

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I think this statement is wrong:

"Thatโ€™s right โ€“ if this law is passed, living in a tiny house or an RV may become illegal in April of this year."

I read the entire article and I don't see anything where it will be illegal to LIVE in an RV. What it's saying is HUD is trying to define the rules for what is consider a 400 square foot RV and what is considered a house. The fine line with Park Models or Destination Trailers is the problem, as they are pushing the limits and are being found in the no-man's-land of the RV - HUD argument.

Further reading, makes me think that if HUD wins, then the benefits of calling an RV a HOME will be redefined. It won't be illegal to live in an RV full time. I don't see that written anywhere. But the person living in an actual RV (400 square feet or less) full time may not to able be claim some tax and loan lending benefits that are available now.

Remember, "HUD" stands for ("Housing" and Urban Development)They are trying to define what is considered a "House", especially if it has wheels. It's a COYA so they have a way of denying mortgage loans intended for low-income families to people wanting to by a "house on wheels".

I actually understand their point of view, having been a home owner myself and having had several VA loans, and having working in the Mortgage Lending industry in my past life.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
rr2254545 wrote:
April Fools

No April Fools this time. It was Posted 3/27.

Crazy_Ray
Explorer
Explorer
Old NEWS
RET ARMY 1980,"Tiny" furkid, Class A, 2007 Bounder 35E, Ford V10 w/Steer Safe, 4 6V CROWN,GC235,525W Solar Kyocera, TriStar 45 Controller,Tri-Metric 2020,Yamaha 2400, TOW CRV. Ready Brake. "Living Our Dream" NASCAR #11-18-19-20- LOVE CO,NM,AZ

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
April Fools
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I heard this is not the first time this was tried...

Probably govt fed rules verses local state things...
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

rockchuk
Explorer
Explorer
I did not know that and I just came across it. That's good news indeed. Thanks

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Posted on numerous RV websites