cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Moldy clothes smell

Lady_Dew_Drop
Explorer
Explorer
As we are full timers I keep a lot of seasonable clothes in suitcases in our basement storage of our MH. Unfortunately they start smelling moldy. I've heard using dryer sheets but would like to use non-scented ones. Would that work?

Any suggestions are appreciated
23 REPLIES 23

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
We've traveled for 9 years, fulltime, never, ever had a problem with things stored in the basement. Moldy = moisture in the bays = water leaks. First should be to figure out how you're getting moisture built up in the bays. Since we are into a bay every day or two, there is always fresh air moving around. I store out-of-season clothes in vacumn bags and then place into a long plastic tub on rollers so it is easy to move around. Might it be that you are smelling adhesives that off gas from the luggage? We also don't carry that much in the way of 'off season' clothes - - we follow the 75ยฐ mark and add/take off as appropriate so we really wear the same clothes year round. Especially this winter - maybe 3 weeks total without shorts on.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Here is another natural one that works good too.
Albiet marketed for dog odors it is amazing how well it works for the RV and people stuff!
And as a full timer, you can pick it up locally while traveling.

http://www.petco.com/product/110109/Earth-Care-Odor-Removing-Bag.aspx

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Is there no way you can put that suitcase 'inside' your RV?
I would also worry about bugs as you travel.

That said. Putting dryer sheets directly on your clothes just masks the smell of the mold and it will irritate the skin of who wears the clothes whether they have allergies or not. You need something that 'eliminates' mold that is non-toxic to your clothes.

Here is what I use in and around my MH and in all my clothes drawers and closets. It works AND is all natural NON-Toxic

I'd buy the 200g size bags for the suitcase. The bigger the bag you can fit in your suitcase the better. Don' waste your money on the little bags.

""The Moso Natural Air Purifying Bag is the easiest way to maintain a fresh, dry and odor free environment. Without using batteries or wires, the Moso Bag will work continuously to remove odors, allergens and harmful pollutants from the air. In damp, musty environments the Moso Bag will absorb excess moisture to prevent mold, mildew and bacteria from forming.

The Moso Bag is a safe alternative to air fresheners that are filled with formaldehyde, petroleum and fragrance, which can be carcinogenic and lead to numerous health problems. The Moso Bag is filled with non toxic, chemical free and fragrance free moso bamboo charcoal that allows your family and pets to breathe safely.""

http://www.mosonatural.com/

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Moldy smell often is an indication of high humidity or water.

Could you not place a few desiccant containers such as Damp Rid in the basement area?

Link Here: Damp Rid
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Lady_Dew_Drop
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the tips. I too would like the brand of the bags people use.

I also heard using dryer softener scented sheets. I'd rather use non-scented but wonder if they work. I'm thinking of the absorbing they do vs the scent they give out. Has anyone tried it?

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
TiredMom57 wrote:
What are the best bags to use? It seems people who've used Ziploc brand aren't pleased in that they inflate after a few weeks.
I agree. I bought 2 boxes of Ziploc brand and half of the bags wouldn't even deflate. I'm interested in which brand, too.

OPer: I can't help you....I use minimum of clothes and have them all in our closet. You have a good idea though! I'll be watching this to see what answers.
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

TiredMom57
Explorer
Explorer
What are the best bags to use? It seems people who've used Ziploc brand aren't pleased in that they inflate after a few weeks.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
I was also going to suggest the space-bags. We part-time, full-time from April until September, so we need warmish clothing in the spring and fall, but mostly shorts and Ts for the summer. That's where the space bags come in. The clothes take up less room, have no chance of absorbing odors or moisture and come out smelling the same way they were put into the bags.

These are the ones I use:

They are not Ziploc
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
We put our out of season clothes in space saver vacuum bags before stowing them in the basement or under the bed. They smell just as fresh when we open them again as they did when we put them away.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate