cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

motor home vs fifth wheel

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
Getting ready to maybe take the step into full time living. We will still call Arizona "HOME" as family and friends of course are here. I will still work some, seasonally of course weather here or on the road. Downsizing for us will be somewhat of an issue just because their are things to keep and things to be rid of. We now have a fifth wheel / truck which would need to be up sized of course. So Just some thoughts, experiences and constructive criticism welcome. Thanks in advance! Good Luck & Be Safe ! ! !
18 REPLIES 18

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
5er vs MH 2013
5er vs MH 2017
5er vs MH Oct 2017

MH change to 5th 5er 2015
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious, why would you need to "upsize". Couldn't you just continue using your current outfitted rig? Now, if you are wanting to move into a MH, then there is your difference.

I see 2 choices: Keep what you currently have, or go Motor Home.

(I think you want to go Motor Home though ... I just get a feeling from your post). (Keep your current tow vehicle for a toed with that new MH). :B

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
My opinion is that if you travel lots of miles yearly and lots of actual days on the highway, then a motor home makes sense. If you do not travel extensively, or only expect to be actually on the road 10-20 days per year and let the RV sit for the remaining 345-355 days per year, then it doesn't.

Excellent advise - MH about double the cost of a 5th wheel - does not make sense for it to sit
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
My opinion is that if you travel lots of miles yearly and lots of actual days on the highway, then a motor home makes sense. If you do not travel extensively, or only expect to be actually on the road 10-20 days per year and let the RV sit for the remaining 345-355 days per year, then it doesn't.