cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Possible to install W/D? Full timers. First RV.

acemyers
Explorer
Explorer
This is mine and my wife's first RV purchase. We haven't got one yet, but we have an eye on one right now. It's a 2011 Copper Canyon 314FWRLS 5th Wheel in case anyone needs to know. It doesn't have a washer dryer already nor does it have hookups installed. It has 3 slides. There isn't really a closet big enough for the w/d unit. We don't care if it's in the living room as long as we have one. However, we were told that it has to be fairly close to the toilet in order to install one. Is that a must? Or can it be in the bedroom or living room? We aren't set n stone about this purchase because of that reason. From reading all the reviews, it's a very good thing to have one. I'm in the military and we are saving a ton of money living out of an RV for the time that I'm in and it's just my wife and I; no kids. We are looking at 5 wheel only because of the great price for a much larger RV. Weight of the w/d doesn't matter. After 3-5 years of living RV style, I'm sure the laundromat isn't going to be pleasant. I'm open to any suggestions anyone may have. Even telling me that the RV of choice is crappy if you think so. Also, we were looking at years 2010-2012. We wanted a fairly new one, but not brand new as they depreciate as much as cars do. Would it hurt any to get a 2007-2009 for a bigger/better unit at around the same price as the 2011 we are looking at? Or stick with a newer one? Can't really get much bigger than 3 slides and still be at our price though, but I mean with 2-3 slides and a w/d unit. I do know how much the w/d units cost, so buying one is completely fine. Thanks in advance to everyone!
49 REPLIES 49

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
We are w/d prepped but chose to have the extra storage.

Laundries in a c/g, if nice, is what we use otherwise we head to a laundromat if available close by.

With that it's personal preference if you really need on-board w/d.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen a washer dryer set up in the bedroom of a couple of new units I saw at a RV show. Don't know how common it is though. Many RV's don't have a sewer hookup from the washer to the grey tank, only to the outlet past the grey tank, so you can not wash while dry camping, only with full hookups. Probably a good thing anyway, because they would quickly fill a typical 50 - 60 gallon grey tank in only 2 wash loads.

Personally, I don't like the washer, and have used campground washing machines, or more commonly would spend one day every 10 - 18 days at a laundrymat. I put everything into the washers at once, even my undies are blue, and no need to sort colors. I picked out the extra large machines that tumble the clothes, they sometimes accept 12 - 18 pounds of clothes per $4 or $6 washload. And then split it into 2 dryers per washing machine, to dry quickly. Be done with all the laundry in only about 2hours, including folding time.

Check the size of the laundry machines put into most RV's. They typically will hold two pairs of blue jeans, and take forever to dry on the 1,500 watt setting - 1/3 the wattage of most electric dryers. This is because they are 120 volts, not the 30 amp 240 volt 4,500 watt versions found in homes.

You might also consider a "toyhauler" that can haul around a car sometimes, and your other stuff. You can put full sized recliners into the back when the car is out. Keep the car very light, like Honda Civic, under the 2,000 pound ramp rating.

Good luck!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

acemyers
Explorer
Explorer
Would it be worth getting an older model RV like 2007-2009 with one or a 2011 w/o one for the same price? Was just thinking of how much "use/wear" would be on the 2007.

acemyers
Explorer
Explorer
Right, but we do like this one and was wondering how hard would it be to install a w/d in it and even if it's possible. Thanks for the response.

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
I would keep looking and get the floor plan you really want....including washer/dryer setup.

They are out there....good luck in your search.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel