cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Skymed vs MASA?

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
We are trying to compare these two for emergency air transportation. We are FT. What experiences have you had with either company? Although I found costs for Skymed, I couldn't find costs for MASA. Thanks!
7 REPLIES 7

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
RVcrazy wrote:
I didn't see anywhere that MASA is only good in 32 states. Does anyone have a list? Is MASA still available a year at a time, or only the multi year deal? Thanks!

That statement about the 32 states is not true. It's available in the entire U.S. If you call and let them know you are traveling abroad, you are covered. I do think they may have a supplemental policy if you are going abroad for an extended time. When we went to Alaska through Canada, I called to let them know. They said that was not necessary for NOrth America, we were covered.

From their brochure:

"Medically staffed aircraft are on standby 24 hours a day for
members in the contiguous United States, Canada, Mexico,
and the Caribbean and the Bahamas."

They do have some other add-on policies available and those may only be available in states that permit it, but as far as the lifetime policy we purchased, we are good wherever we go.

SkyMed at one time required a history of your medications for screening because not everyone is accepted. If you travel with a chronic life threatening illness for which you are medicated, which my DH does, you will not be accepted. I believe that is still the case.

WE have a lifetime MASA plan. We full time. We bought it because my DH's uncle had numerous medical problems requiring him to be flown by helicopter in Florida to a hospital that could handle him. Eventually they flew him back to Indiana to his regular doctors. This happened twice. Had his vehicle driven back as well. No charge for any of it.

I can't find any current prices. They ask you to fill out a contact form because rates vary according to your location.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't see anywhere that MASA is only good in 32 states. Does anyone have a list? Is MASA still available a year at a time, or only the multi year deal? Thanks!

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
MASA is NOT only good in USA, they have offices in the Bahama's and Virgin Island's. I've listened to both lectures several times, while MASA's upfront cost is more, you do get a lifetime policy and YES, they have been around for a very long time(40 year's). SkyMed is not exactly cheap for what, there 5 year policy?

There's plenty of comparisons available on line so I don't need to make the case for one or the other. Good Sam, well, if there service is anything like the RV Road service...NO thanks!

Sky Med Family 5 year plan retails out at 2990.00....
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
There are difference between Skymed and MASA
for example;
MASA
MASA Assist will return vehicles such as cars, vans, RVs or trucks owned or rented by the member when illness, injury or death requires use of the air ambulance services provided by MASA Assist. The vehicle will be carried to the memberโ€™s place of residence or rental vehicles will be returned to the nearest rental company office or agent.
So they will help with your RV ONLY IF you use an air ambulance. Scenario. HAve a heart attack and go to a hospital that fixes you up and discharges you. You fly home. NO HELP FROM MASA.
GOOD SAM
WE will return YOUR automobile, motorcycle, non-commercial
truck or RV to YOUR PERMANENT PRIMARY RESIDENCE or
place of rental within 90 days of the incident if:
WE approved transporting YOU to YOUR PERMANENT
PRIMARY RESIDENCE under either the EMERGENCY MEDICAL
EVACUATION, TRANSPORTATION AFTER STABILIZATION,
RETURN OF DECEASED REMAINS, TRANSPORTATION TO
JOIN HOSPITALIZED FAMILY MEMBER, or TRANSPORTATION
DUE TO A NATURAL DISASTER benefit OR
YOU have not been transported under the services listed
above but YOUR documented INJURY or ILLNESS (which
does NOT require Hospitalization) prevents YOU from driving
the RV/Vehicle.
WE will authorize this service only if no one in YOUR traveling
party is capable of driving the RV/vehicle.

The vehicle must be in good condition and capable of being safely driven on the
highway in compliance with local laws. If the vehicle is an RV, WE
will also return an additional vehicle if it was hitched to YOUR
RV.
If your spouse can drive the rig no help getting it home. So theoretically they could fly patient home and spouse would have to take rig home.

Skymed

Return Transportation After Recovery
. In the event a MEMBER suffers a CRITICAL ILLNESS OR INJURY and is subsequently discharged from a hospital more than one hundred (100) air miles from such
MEMBERโ€™S HOME, SkyMed will transport the MEMBER to the commercial airline nearest
MEMBERโ€™S HOME by commercial airline for up to thirty (30) days after such hospital discharge.
and
When SkyMed provides
MEDICAL TRANSPORTATION services to a MEMBER, SkyMed will pay to return the MEMBERโ€™S
highway operable vehicle to the MEMBERโ€™S TRANSPORT PREFERENCE within the continental United States, Canada, or Alaska; provided, however, that SkyMed will not transport such vehicle over any body of water by boat or air. SkyMed will pay for a professional driver and the fuel and oil required to return a MEMBERโ€™S car, motor home and pull
vehicle, travel trailer, trailer, boat and trailer, or rental car. The MEMBER is responsible for paying for all repairs required to maintain the safe operation.

SO according to the contract if the MD says you cannot drive home SKYMED will fly you home and pay for your vehicle return.
I AM NOT saying on is better than the other I am saying READ BEFORE SIGNING so YOU KNOW what you bought
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

JAXFL
Explorer
Explorer
Acampingwewillgo wrote:
Either one will work....we chose MASA, their lifetime membership for a couple run's about 4000.00 if I recall correctly.

WOW... The Good Sam was $79 this year and then $120 a year after that.

SkyMed service area includes USA, Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, Bermuda and the Bahamas! But not in Europe or Asia.

MASA only cover 32 states and only in the USA for $65 a year.

Like I said Good Sam is "worldwide" $79
Happy Trails
JAXFL
2008 3100LTD Sun Seeker
2008 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Auto Toad

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Either one will work....we chose MASA, their lifetime membership for a couple run's about 4000.00 if I recall correctly.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

JAXFL
Explorer
Explorer
I have had Skymed for 2 yeas but can't help as I have not needed them. Last month I just got a letter from Good Sam for their service so have gone to them, hope I will not need them also, but they say that theirs is worldwide not just in the states, Canada or Mexico.
Happy Trails
JAXFL
2008 3100LTD Sun Seeker
2008 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Auto Toad