cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPS Mailbox Service

wntrtxn
Explorer
Explorer
If you are using UPS Mailbox Service and decide to cancel the service and return to an actual physical address, you need to be aware that the US Postal Service will NOT forward your mail to your new address. In fact, in the fine print of your UPS Mailbox Service agreement, you agree not to submit a forwarding order with USPS when you terminate the UPS Mailbox Service.
The only ways to continue to get your mail, would be to pay UPS to forward your mail for a period of time, or to notify every correspondent of your new address. (and hope you don't miss any)
I found this out the hard way, guess I should have read the fine print. The US Postal Service actually sent me a confirmation of my mail forwarding, but I found out that was incorrect and my mail was being returned as undeliverable, or in some cases, destroyed.
8 REPLIES 8

hitchup
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry - CKNSLS - my DS and his DW did do two separate changes of address online. Actually it was 3 since they did one for their DD. But because it was sent to downtown Atlanta main PO miles away, they changed it for everyone including our GD.

Our DD and her DH didn't have theirs changed because she had recently married and had a different last name.

Why they should be able to change our CC's AND Bank Info is my biggest gripe.

Read JimM68's response. That's the real reason.
2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3....our custom home
2014 Ford F450 KR CC 4x4......his office
2015 Lance 1172 TC.....mobile Motel FOR SALE
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005

"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss it, you will land among the Stars."

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
hitchup wrote:
I wouldn't trust the USPS to forward our mail and only our mail ever. We've had children move out of our house and everyone in the family has mail that goes to their new address. What a nightmare. It also changed our CC and Bank addresses even though we don't get any hard copies of CC or Bank statements.

I will do just like I did when we switched to a UPS Store. About 2-3 mos before the change, I will manually change everything with the individual CC or Bank. Most are accessible online, but still takes awhile to change.

When you have more than one family living in a house and they move- a change of address has to be done PROPERLY. The proper way is for every person to file a SEPARATE change of address form.

If your name is SMITH and your son and his wife is living with you-he can't file a change of address for the SMITH family. Or, your mail will be forwarded as well.
If his name is JOHN and his wife's name is MARY then an address change is filled out separately for John Smith and then Mary Smith.

This should prevent any issues.

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
We use a private mail forwarding service (destination financial in montana) for just that reason.

And please, lets differentiate between UPS (United Parcel Service, a fine company) and USPS (United States Postal Service, a branch of our ever expanding government, staffed by non fireable union civil service employees who do not have to help turn a profit to keep their jobs and rich retirement)
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

hitchup
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't trust the USPS to forward our mail and only our mail ever. We've had children move out of our house and everyone in the family has mail that goes to their new address. What a nightmare. It also changed our CC and Bank addresses even though we don't get any hard copies of CC or Bank statements.

I will do just like I did when we switched to a UPS Store. About 2-3 mos before the change, I will manually change everything with the individual CC or Bank. Most are accessible online, but still takes awhile to change.
2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3....our custom home
2014 Ford F450 KR CC 4x4......his office
2015 Lance 1172 TC.....mobile Motel FOR SALE
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005

"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss it, you will land among the Stars."

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
They won't forward so you send a change of address to all individuals or companies (banks, insurance, etc.) you still wish to receive mail from.

What's the problem?

reubenray
Explorer
Explorer
When I inquired as to how this works at my local UPS Mail Center the manager pointed out to do a temporary change of address and each 3 months renew it. Otherwise I would have trouble. Maybe this is a work-around with the topic issue.
2017 Newmar Ventana LE4037
2016 Chevy Equinox

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
This was fully explained to us before we signed up for the box. They will hold your mail for you and you can go pick it up periodically or have to sent to you.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, it works that way for any commercial mail forwarding service.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch