cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Washington State Residency

proxima
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking to make the move to Washington State later this year in my RV, and I am curious how I should set up residency there since I do not have a "Domicile." I've always loved the area and I want to stick around for a while.

What will be a good way to set up residency in Washington? Also anyone know of a mail forwarding service there?
25 REPLIES 25

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
I came from NH to Olympia (Thurston county) in 2010. In 2011 I rented a mailbox in Aberdeen (Grays Harbor county), bought a motorhome, did the address change that I posted in this thread, and went FT. BTW my vehicle insurance increased a whopping $3 when I went from Thurston to Grays Harbor.
2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

amdriven2liv
Explorer
Explorer
I'm glad this topic came up. All I have read on FT rv living in Washington is hard to do, due to needing a physical address for licensing.

We called a place and it sounds like it is doable. We currently live in Washington and were thinking about changing to another state, like South Dakota, but will now stay Washingtonians.
2004 F350 6.0L 4x4 CC LB King Ranch, Scangauge II
2010 Mountaineer 324RLQ,

proxima
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Tony, I've been there once before, but only for a day for training back when I worked for the airlines, and that one day, I have never seen so much beauty in the surrounding area of SEA. I have been yearning to return to Washington since the day I left. Tax and school is not the main reason I want to go up there, it is just the shear beauty. I've been in Florida my whole life, and it seems most of my friends that visits Washington, usually don't return. I will have to adjust from having 3-5" of rain per hour to 3-5" per few days.

I am lucky enough to find a job that allows me to travel, and I get to see the country. I will be spending the majority of the year in Utah, but I won't let that stop me for taking long weekends up there.

tonymull
Explorer
Explorer
You're getting responses from pre-I695. WA car tabs frequently ran over $500 for a newer model back then, now they are less than $50. Every state collects taxes in one way or another, and you'll find that the tax load equates with how much service you get from state government in one way or another. Don't let taxes decide where you live. As far as scenery take a look north of Seattle. Can't be beat! You can cheat on that I-5 rule, just stay west of the mountains..and pay attention to winter flood zones.

That's not to say that, depending on your lifestyle, you cannot find a 'sweetspot' for taxes in one state or another. If you don't own real estate then a state that garners most of it's tax dollars from property taxes is good for you, for example. But for the average citizen of each state it's all pretty even if you look at it in depth. Low tax states offer less in return.

proxima
Explorer
Explorer
Again, thanks for all of the replies! I have been reading on registration for the vehicles, and so far it is not too much different from Florida.

I am still doing my research, but I might end up setting up my residency in Olympia for now or until I start school.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ol' yeller wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Be prepared to bend over when you license/register your vehicles!!!

HUH? to register my 2008 Aspect last year was just under $100. And I live in King County where the taxes are higher than the rest of the state. License fees here are very reasonable compared to many other places plus there is no personal property tax like in other places.

YOU already live there!!! I am fully aware of the Washington Tax system living there the first 57 years of my life.

The OP is considering MOVING to WA.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ol__yeller
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:

HUH? to register my 2008 Aspect last year was just under $100. And I live in King County where the taxes are higher than the rest of the state. License fees here are very reasonable compared to many other places plus there is no personal property tax like in other places.
I am NOT a mechanic although I do play one in my garage!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I called some months ago I was told I'd need to pay tax on my current motor home ( I paid no tax as I live in Oregon ) I bought it well over a year ago. My plan way to " move in " with my son outside Spokane . It was 8 % of purchase or the current value which they would determine , and other fees ) ... On a 140000, coach that's not small Change !
Did I get wrong information? , I wouldn't be surprised, but the conversation sure made me run
Bill

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
So proxima, what can you do... other than ignoring those in this thread who would try to dissuade you from becoming a WA resident?

If you plan to live in an RV from October to May in an RV in WA then your want to live west of I-5 (as a general rule). I-5 is treated like the winter rain/snow divider - rain west of I-5, snow east of I-5. Wintering in an RV on the rainy side of WA is very doable. I'm a resident of Aberdeen, WA but I'm in Sequim (the least wet part of WA in the winter).

Having said that, how about getting a library card at Timberland Regional Library. TRL has 27 libraries, 2 cooperative library centers and 4 library kiosks in Grays Harbor, Lewis, Mason, Pacific, and Thurston counties in Southwest Washington State. linky

1) call a UPS store or parcel store that is located in a WA county of your choice and use a credit card to rent a private mailbox. Have them email or fax to you the 2 signature forms. One form authorizes then to receive mail on your behalf from the USPS. The other form gives them signature authorization to sign for mail/packages that require your signature. Then send the forms back to the store.

2) have a couple of bills sent to your new private mailbox.

3) sign up online for a library card.

4) Visit WA and go to a DOL location. I'm not sure if a (3rd party) Licensing Agency store will do. Get a drivers license with the mailbox address. The DOL can also register you to vote. Just ask. You may choose to register your vehicle(s) at this time. linky I think you can have them mail the WA license plates to you out of state (double check that). You'll have to obtain WA vehicle insurance as well.

You're in. Another interesting residency link from the WA Dept of Revenue.

Then one year after the issue date on your drivers license you will qualify for in-state tuition.
2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

path1
Explorer
Explorer
You didn't say anything about school in your initial posting...

Unless less it has changed and it probably has since daughter went thru it...even though she had drivers lic and car registered and registered to vote. When she went to register for school they said she was not a "resident for school purposes" and told her to pay out of state tuition. Until she completed a year in state. (She just postponed school for awhile) This was many years ago and might of been changed by now? I think they look at drivers lic and date of issue???

Student Residency
To qualify as a resident student, state law requires that a student establish a bona fide domicile in the state of Washington for a period of one year

But not sure if its just the place that web page is for or all the state.

http://www.wsac.wa.gov/student-residency

And here is more

http://dor.wa.gov/Content/ContactUs/con_residdef.aspx

My best guess is the state wants you to pay some tax before giving you "resident" school rate.

More things to check out.

Good luck
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

proxima
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the post, a lot of information. I need to set up a "bona fide domicile" for school purposes. I am currently based in Florida, and I should finish school there, but I got accepted into a certain program at one of their schools and I want to take this opportunity.

I will be in Utah until November and I do not know if I want to take a weekend to go up to Washington to set up residency or wait until November and outright spend winter up there. Everything is still in a planning stage for me though.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
I believe he said that he's setting up residency, a mail box is all you need. our post offices all have boxes to rent.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Marine By Choice wrote:
n7bsn wrote:

Simply not true (post I-695)

Washingtons taxes are based on being a resident living in the state. If you don't actually "live" in Washington... you don't pay gas-tax, sales-tax or (real) property tax.

How do you not pay the gas tax if not a resident? Gas tax is included in the price at the pump and is not deducted for any reason. At least I have never seen that happen.

Sales tax is not charged if you live in, and have ID showing non-WA residency, (driver's license) a bordering state. But you have to show non-WA ID and, many times, sign a form.

I'm guessing you missed the part about actually "living" in Washington. If you are someplace else you aren't paying Washington gas or sales tax.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.