cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Carrying extra fuel in Canada

TravelinDog
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are planning to drive up to Alaska this summer with our new 5er and I'm wondering if anyone knows if it is legal to carry 10 extra gallons of diesel fuel.
I don't want to be caught short between fill-ups in Canada or Alaska where I've been told never to pass up an opportunity to fill up the tank.
Just say no to the payload police :C
21 REPLIES 21

folivier
Explorer
Explorer
When we went in 2019 there were fuel stations at least every 250 miles, probably more frequent. But many of them were unmanned and used a Cardlock card. Look into getting one of them before your trip.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
MarkTwain wrote:
TravelinDog wrote:
My wife and I are planning to drive up to Alaska this summer with our new 5er and I'm wondering if anyone knows if it is legal to carry 10 extra gallons of diesel fuel.
I don't want to be caught short between fill-ups in Canada or Alaska where I've been told never to pass up an opportunity to fill up the tank.

My suggestion is to have a auxiliary diesel fuel tank installed. safer choice. I have a 60 gal. tank installed by Transfer Flow company located in Chico Calif. I can drive close to 1000 miles before needing fuel. Give them a call and ask what options you have. They can install the auxillary tank in 1 day. They will also ship the tank to your home town.

What exactly is unsafe about a couple 5 gal jugs of diesel in the truck bed?

For extra range it's a nice idea. I'm sure Canadian people use fuel jugs. How else to they fill up lawnmowers and other small equipment?
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I carry fuel for the generator all the time, and live in Canada.

Are you confused with propane? That is illegal most places--unless stored in a vented compartment.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I made a recent trip up and down with my 110 gal tank in the back of my truck as usual. No one even took a second look at it.

Use Gas Buddy in Canada also. They have big price swings going from one providence to another.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
When we went in 2014 I carried two 6 Gal Diesel containers between the Hitch and Tool Box. Even used them several times just to be on the safe side.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
TravelinDog wrote:

No reason you canโ€™t carry extra fuel on board. People do it all the time here.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
TravelinDog wrote:

My suggestion is to have a auxiliary diesel fuel tank installed. safer choice. I have a 60 gal. tank installed by Transfer Flow company located in Chico Calif. I can drive close to 1000 miles before needing fuel. Give them a call and ask what options you have. They can install the auxillary tank in 1 day. They will also ship the tank to your home town.