cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

02 four winds tv cables

kevphillsaxplay
Explorer
Explorer
Good morning, I am new to this forum because I’m new to RV camping. We have a 2002 Four Winds 5000 Class C motorhome. I’ve taken out the old analog TVs and the converter and have replaced them with newer flatscreen digital TVs. My question deals with the TV booster box on the inside of the cabinet near the first TV. There are three cables going into it and a negative and positive to power the box itself. The cables are marked numbers one, two, and zero. There are three inputs on the back of the box and there’s one on the front including A 12 V receptacle.

My question is what do the numbers on the cables mean? Which one of the connections is the antenna?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
15 REPLIES 15

kevphillsaxplay
Explorer
Explorer
Success!
I bought the gadget and traced wires. I found defective cables. I replaced all the cables and ran a new one from the antenna through the roof via a junction box fitted with a cable gland and a lot of silicone. The box is affixed to the roof with 3M double sided tape and siliconed in place. I even had luck replacing the cable in the mast.

Suddenly I feel good about me! All projects are done!

Thank you all for your help,

kp

kevphillsaxplay
Explorer
Explorer
LouLawrence wrote:
If you cannot run a new cable via the same route you can take a different one. Maybe you need to run the cable to the base of the antenna and then across the roof to a more accessible entry location. Depending upon where the booster is located, look around and see if you can locate easy access to the roof and you have found the path for the new coax. Don't be concerned about problems with a coax laying on the roof. You just secure that to the roof and it will be good for many, many years to come.

Thank you. I have decided to go the route you suggest. I’m going to run the cable back a little ways to over the box in the cabinet and then drill down through the roof there. I’m going to use Eternabond and other sealants to seal up around the junction box. I’ll also use cable glands to keep it watertight. Thanks again.

kp

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
If you cannot run a new cable via the same route you can take a different one. Maybe you need to run the cable to the base of the antenna and then across the roof to a more accessible entry location. Depending upon where the booster is located, look around and see if you can locate easy access to the roof and you have found the path for the new coax. Don't be concerned about problems with a coax laying on the roof. You just secure that to the roof and it will be good for many, many years to come.

kevphillsaxplay
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Doug,

Somebody else has already done it a few times it seems. The lead coming out of the roof is not near the base of the antenna but about three inches to the outside of it. And it’s been trimmed a couple of times including yesterday when I cleaned it up.

I’ll try to get to it all through the crank mechanism but it looks scary. I’m thinking of removing some of the goop around the cable and pulling it up then resealing it. A decision must be made and I will think on it. Thanks for all your help. This saga is not over yet. I will persevere.

kp

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Usually as you look at the rear of the Wall plate
With the 12 volt leads at the top
And the cables at the bottom

Antenna (OTA rooftop) Park Cable TV 2 (Tv 1 is the front connection)

Many people call that wall plate the amplifer.. NO IT IS NOT. it is the Power inserter and source switch. Unless you have a Sensar Pro (you do not. the pro has 4 connections on the rear and none on the front) it's not an amplifer. the amplifer is in the antenna itself.. This box just provides the power to it (Why it has the 12 volt leads.

NOTE: Replacing it with a Sensar pro (The leads are labeled) GOOD IDEA.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
IF you have the Winegard antenna. The antenna head has a coax that goes from the head down the elevation tube then into the antenna mount plate. After all the years, odds are where that coax is connected to the cable that goes to the interior switch box, it is RUSTED. IF you have the Winegard, remove the interior crank handle and rotation knob. With a flashlite you should be able to see where the cables are in the roof cavity. There is enough extra coax to use a hook to gently pull the cables out the hole in the roof. then you will see the 2 coax cables with the threaded union. Unscrew and you will probably see the interior of the cables are completed rust corroded away. cut back and inch or so to good clean coax and install new RG6 ends and a new union. Doug

kevphillsaxplay
Explorer
Explorer
kp

You are getting the fault because it is reading the roof antenna amplified HEAD. NORMAL. You have an amplified Roof top antenna. That is the reason for the POS and NEG wires to that box. For the roof top antenna to operate correctly that box sends a power signal to the roof top RV head. ALL your OLD system does is send Coax TV and Campground Cable to each TV. Doug

Hi Doug. I disconnected the cable from the antenna and put the blue remote on the end. I just tested the cable alone. That gave me the fault. Unfortunately I have very little to work with coming out of the roof. I stripped back a little and put a new connection on and retried it but still got a fault on that cable. I’m going to have to pull a new cable I think. Unless I’m missing some step.
Any advice for pulling cable?

kp

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
kevphillsaxplayer wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
As far as the numbers on each, I do not know... IF you wanna see where they run, you can always buy one of these -

***Link Removed***

race and label them yourself

Ok. Took your advice and purchased the meter. The cable marked number two goes back to the back bedroom, the front of the box is the line out for the front television. The cable marked 0 is for the cable hook up so that leaves line one which has to be the antenna but I’m getting a fault on that circuit. I don’t know where that goes through my wall. I’m thinking I might have to snake a line up through there and do a reconnection. Any advice?
kp

You are getting the fault because it is reading the roof antenna amplified HEAD. NORMAL. You have an amplified Roof top antenna. That is the reason for the POS and NEG wires to that box. For the roof top antenna to operate correctly that box sends a power signal to the roof top RV head. ALL your OLD system does is send Coax TV and Campground Cable to each TV. Doug

kevphillsaxplay
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
As far as the numbers on each, I do not know... IF you wanna see where they run, you can always buy one of these -

***Link Removed***

Ok. Took your advice and purchased the meter. The cable marked number two goes back to the back bedroom, the front of the box is the line out for the front television. The cable marked 0 is for the cable hook up so that leaves line one which has to be the antenna but I’m getting a fault on that circuit. I don’t know where that goes through my wall. I’m thinking I might have to snake a line up through there and do a reconnection. Any advice?
kp

This the exact one I use - watch the video - cable tracer

here - youtube cable tracer
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

kevphillsaxplayer wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:

***Link Removed***

Ok. That’s a pretty cool device. If I’m understand it I plug the tool into the line in question and put one of the color coded remotes on the other end and if it lights up that color I have a match?

kp

It will create a sound when you cap the other end on the same cable.. I have one and put labels on ALL of my face plates and cable ends. Since I had satellite and cable connections on the same face plate and the first one I checked was reversed..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

kevphillsaxplay
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:

***Link Removed***

Ok. That’s a pretty cool device. If I’m understand it I plug the tool into the line in question and put one of the color coded remotes on the other end and if it lights up that color I have a match?

kp

kevphillsaxplay
Explorer
Explorer
MountainAir05 wrote:
One is going to be the Antenna, The other one could be a Cable/sat line if you have sat. The other one the TV.

Power on the box and try each cable to the TV.

Or you can jump out the one line at the cable back in the electric door and ohm it out inside the RV. That will give you one.

As stated one is TV antenna, but knowing which the other two does not take too much time to figure it out.

Hi and thanks for the help. I did locate which inputs are the antenna and the bedroom tv following your suggestion. The tv in the bedroom is #2 and goes in the Jack on the far right. The antenna is in the input on the far left. I’m waiting for the living area tv to show up so I can check the middle input and the front input.
kp

cable tracer

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7