Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

100 amp service

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
If we sell this place in a year or two, we may trade for a much nicer MH
We have been checking them out when we can.
How hard is it to find RV Resorts or Parks that have two plug ins for a 100 amp service, or parks willing to rent 2 adjacent lots so you can use two towers? I'm not sure we would want to do that more than once or twice.
Or..do you just run the generator when you can't find or arrange 100 amp service?
42 REPLIES 42

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
OP has 9 posts after this one without bothering to reply. Why posting anything else?
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
Do the all new Prevost/Newells etc electric coaches require 100 A service? Perhaps Mr Mark can chime in, I think his Prevost has a huge LI battery bank making his coach pretty much all electric.

FWIW - outside of winning the lottery - this is an issue I likely will never have to solve for.

Hello Way2roll!

Our coach, and as far as I know, all Liberty coaches are set-up with one 50 amp cord (100 amp which is 50 on each leg like all 50 amp coaches).

I do have to watch our power usage since we are all electric. We do have a diesel fired Espar furnace. Liberty does a good job balancing the legs so that I can use most items. With our 20K generator, I can run EVERYTHING plus I have a 30 amp connection for a 'buddy' coach if needed.

We do have 3 lithium Ion batteries that I can control the charging rate. I can pick from the following:

-220v/50amp
-110v/50amp
-110v/30amp

Currently I have the inverter/chargers (4 inverters) set on 110v/50amp as I'm in a huge storage garage with many other coaches. If all the coaches are 'sucking' power I didn't want the voltage to fall too much.

If we lose power and the batteries reach a 30% charge, I have the generator set to come on to recharge the batteries back to 100%. Once that is reached, the generator will cut off and start the process all over again until power is restored.

I did find out our house in CA has 200 amps. Since I had solar installed in March of 2017, we have not received a power bill and I've been paid back a little for 'over producing'. We have 63 roof panels.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I thought "50 amp" pedestals were commonly wired on a 200 to 400 amp loop. Each outlet is protected per rating at the pedestal. Loop is protected at the main panel.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
westernrvparkowner wrote:
Reisender wrote:
RV resorts (RV country club) in Indio (the new one) has 70 amp service pedestals. That’s the most I have seen. I would think it will get more common as people are starting to trailer Electric Vehicles. Nice to have an extra 16 amps available for overnight charging. Many portable EVSE’s are either 16 amp or setable to 16 amps.
There is no such thing as a 70 amp pedestal in RV park terminology. Standard 50 amp service pedestals have a 50 amp outlet, a 30 amp outlet and a 15 or 20 amp duplex outlet (normal US home outlet with GFCI) You do not add together those outlets to get a different amperage rating. There may be a few boxes for home usage where there is an additional main breaker in the box that protects the entire circuit, but RV park wiring protects the main circuits at main breaker panels, not at the pedestals.
And, as always mentioned by me, most parks are not going to welcome charging of electric vehicles. Park wiring is not designed for such high amperage, long term draws in addition to the power demands of the RVs. We will make you unplug your electrical vehicles should we find them plugged in and so will many other parks.

Yah I get that. It should be up to the discretion of the park owner who knows his system best. However. Many RV parks are adding themselves to the plugshare APP. So at least some feel they are capable of carrying an extra 12 or 16 amps or whatever.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
CA Traveler wrote:
Reisender wrote:
RV resorts (RV country club) in Indio (the new one) has 70 amp service pedestals. That’s the most I have seen. I would think it will get more common as people are starting to trailer Electric Vehicles. Nice to have an extra 16 amps available for overnight charging. Many portable EVSE’s are either 16 amp or setable to 16 amps.
A 50A pedestal implies 50A + 20A plugs - right?

I was under the impression that EVs require a 240V connection for faster charging rates. And most have non RV plugs but perhaps adapters are available.

Just curious.

In this case nope. The pedestals has true 70 amp service. 50 amp 240 volt for the coach via a Nema 14-50 outlet. As well as another 20 amp 240 volt to accomadate the small casita that is built on each site. Most folks have a washer and dryer in the casita.

Re the EVSE for electtic vehicle charging. They are sized from 120 volt 12 amp to 80 amp 240 volt. Many folks (us included) carry a 16 amp 240 volt portable EVSE that can plug into a Nema 14-50 with adapters that allow it to plug into almost anything including 20 amp, 30 amp, etc. The vast majority of EV’s can charge at a max rate of 32 amps or 7.7 KW and many charge at 6.6 KW (like ours). However there are some like the model S and X as well as long range model 3’s that can charge up to 48 amps using a hard wired EVSE. The highest power portable EVSE’s are 40 amp as they can plug into a Nema 14-50. Some EVSE’s are dipswitch or software setable from 8 amps to 40 amps.

As well, in the past, but there were some model S and X Tesla’s with 72 and 80 amp on board chargers. But those were rare and are no longer made. The new ones are either 32 amp for standard range or 48 amp for long range. Tesla’s charge rates are also adjustable on the car via the main screen.

Hope that helps . I’m not a very good explainer. Sorry.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Reisender wrote:
There is no such thing as a 70 amp pedestal in RV park terminology. Standard 50 amp service pedestals have a 50 amp outlet, a 30 amp outlet and a 15 or 20 amp duplex outlet (normal US home outlet with GFCI) You do not add together those outlets to get a different amperage rating. There may be a few boxes for home usage where there is an additional main breaker in the box that protects the entire circuit, but RV park wiring protects the main circuits at main breaker panels, not at the pedestals.
And, as always mentioned by me, most parks are not going to welcome charging of electric vehicles. Park wiring is not designed for such high amperage, long term draws in addition to the power demands of the RVs. We will make you unplug your electrical vehicles should we find them plugged in and so will many other parks.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Have seen a couple of Newells that were 100 AMP service, that is with two 50 amp pigtails.. However, they were wired to accommodate standard 50 amp service should two 50 amp services not be available.
To answer the OP's question. You will likely seldom see a park with two 50 amp services at the site. It is much too expensive to run a second series of 50 amp services that will likely never, ever be used. Even if a park wired only one or two sites, they would likely to already be renting them to regular 50 amp rigs. No way would they consider keeping such a site vacant just hoping a white elephant showed up. ( it would have to be a very large site since any 100 Amp rig would be a 45 foot bus and all those are towing something). And no way would most parks allow running your generator. Unless you are in the $1,000,000 plus market, you aren't going to find a 100 amp RV. I will leave the gobblety-goop about 50 Amp service delivering 100 amps at 120 volts to others.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Reisender wrote:
A 50A pedestal implies 50A + 20A plugs - right?

I was under the impression that EVs require a 240V connection for faster charging rates. And most have non RV plugs but perhaps adapters are available.

Just curious.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Reisender wrote:
wolfe10 wrote:
Please tell us what RV you have/are considering that will not operate on 50 amp RV power???

I have seen some Bus chassis motorhomes with 5 AC’s. But even they are served by a 50 amp spit phase 240 volt pedestal. Other than “other than motor home needs” like an Electtic vehicle or portable grow op I can’t see the need for 100 amp service. Our townhouse is only 100 amp service and we have an electric range, electtic dryer, central air and two electric vehicle chargers. 100 amp would be a lot for a Motorhome.

Yup, without knowing what RV the OP has, we can only speculate if has one of the very rare, HUGE RV's with 3-4 roof A/C's, etc OR if he has a "regular" 50 amp coach (where 2 hots @ 50 amps each= 100 amps).

Inquiring minds want to know.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
way2roll wrote:
Do the all new Prevost/Newells etc electric coaches require 100 A service? Perhaps Mr Mark can chime in, I think his Prevost has a huge LI battery bank making his coach pretty much all electric.

FWIW - outside of winning the lottery - this is an issue I likely will never have to solve for.

No, nearly all of them use a 50 amp setup which provides 100 amp service to the coach. That's 50 amp service available on 2 separate legs wired into the coach.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III

2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
We were at Route 66 RV Resort a couple years ago. It was brand new & our site absolutely had 100 amp service. I assumed this was to accommodate bus conversions. Regardless it definitely is not for two RV's at one site.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
100 amp service is common for a residence, but rare for a MH.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I should add to my coments above
I said I have never seen either a 100 amnp (twin 50) Site or coach

I have read of them.. Just never seen one.. Reason follows

Very few of either exist so if you have a 100 amp (Two 50 amp cords) coach you are going to be paying for two sites at most CG's

And if you wired your CG for two 50 amp feeds at many sites.. You spent a lot of money for nothing

Now some folks might be tempted to "Cheat" and use the 50, 30 and 20 amp outlets.

The park I'm in now has a burned out power feed to some sites. seems the wires were overloaded.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
We had a site with two 50 amp hookups, Sarasota Lakes resort. Ours was a park model, one 50 amp for the house, one for the electric range.
-- Chris Bryant