cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

12 volt system not working on 2011 Winnebago Vista

JeLe
Explorer
Explorer
We just purchased a 2011 Winnebago Vista and have discovered one issue that we need help with. The 12 volt system will not work when the shore power is disconnected or if we are not running the generator. We can push the coach battery connect switch 'on' but it will not stay on. Thanks for any help.
16 REPLIES 16

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
JeLe wrote:
Again, thanks for taking time to respond. I will try the distilled water first (nothing to lose) but understand that new batteries will probably be needed. Take care and safe travels.

It they take a LOT of water....as in, completely or mostly empty, then the subsequent charging should NOT be with the built-in converter/charger. It will crank too much current into them too quickly.

They should first SIT undisturbed for about 24 hours and then be charged slowly; guessing at 5 amps max.
A 2 amp tender charger might take a week to do much good.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

JeLe
Explorer
Explorer
Again, thanks for taking time to respond. I will try the distilled water first (nothing to lose) but understand that new batteries will probably be needed. Take care and safe travels.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
Distilled water is cheap so not out much filling them But if dry for a long time you are probably looking at new batteries.

yep, I'd gamble with my 63 cents and give them a try.
bumpy

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Distilled water is cheap so not out much filling them But if dry for a long time you are probably looking at new batteries.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

johnwalkerpa1
Explorer
Explorer
JeLe wrote:
Thanks for responses. Went out in rain to look at house batteries and they are dry. Will fill them when weather clears. I think that may be the problem. Since they are bone dry, should I use distilled water or acid?

If they are that dry, don't bother refilling them...they are toast...time to replace...

siggyd777
Explorer
Explorer
Replace the batteries,but first take a picture of the connections
with all the plusses & minusses clearly marked !
Do this with all power OFF!
Siggy
Happy Trails
Siggy & Ursula
2011 Dutch Star 4020,ISL 400,Compr.brake,FTL XCR,IFS
Allison MH3000
2015 Jeep Cherokee,4x4 Active Drive II,V6 , Brake Buddy,Roadmaster Sterling,
Camping since 1975 Pop-Up,1986 22Ft.TT,1999 Gas MH,2005 KSDP,
2011 DSDP,FMCA 368283

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
You should replace them. Those batteries are ruined.

+1 replace them
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
JeLe wrote:
Thanks for responses. Went out in rain to look at house batteries and they are dry. Will fill them when weather clears. I think that may be the problem. Since they are bone dry, should I use distilled water or acid?

You should replace them. Those batteries are ruined.

JeLe
Explorer
Explorer

Mrbaggins07825
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

I had a similar issue on my Brave, while connected to shore power all was good, off shore power no power, not even enough for the lights.. I found the issue to be a blown 12V fuse on the power converter. Though I did not know it was there. I found it when setting up a mouse trap under the galley drawer. Pull the bottom drawers out and see if you can locate the converter, then check that 12V blade fuse! hope it helps.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Is there a battery disconnect switch someplace that's got everything turned off?

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
clean connections on negative side.
bumpy

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure your batter teminal connections are clean and tight before you start to diagnose the problem.
A little corrosion can cause problems.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
JeLe wrote:
We can push the coach battery connect switch 'on' but it will not stay on. Thanks for any help.

VERY common problem, sometimes even for seasoned RVers.

LIkely that the switch you are pushing is the EMERGENCY switch which ties the two battery banks together as long as you keep it pushed......so you can use your house batteries to start the main engine if those batteries go dead.

There is ANOTHER SWITCH somewhere that you haven't found yet. It is usually right inside the side door. It completely disconnects the house batteries from everything. Throw that switch and you should be fine.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"