cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

120 volt outlets not working, need help!

whit
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,
I purchased a 2005 Dolphin class A motorhome last year and it has been great. However today while cleaning it I noticed the electronics (DVD, Digital Box, etc.) cabinet had no power. My motorhome is plugged into a 30 amp outlet at my home. I used a tester and I am getting full power at the breaker box. No breakers are tripped. I thought for sure it was going to be a GFI, however I checked all of them and they are not tripped and all have power. There are 3 unless I missed one, but I don't think so.
The outlets not working are in the electronics cabinet above the passenger seat, one outlet down by the floor next to the passenger seat, the rear bedroom outlet for the rear tv, and oddly enough, the refrigerator outlet.
There was a 2nd, unused outlet in the refrigerator panel that worked, so I replugged into that. so at least my refrigerator has power.
I don't know what else to check?

Thanks, Mike
Mike
31 REPLIES 31

MrWizard
Did you have a portable heater plugged into one of the now dead outlets?
A very bad idea to run a heater thru the inverter circuit
Even when the inverter is on shore power and pass thru
That circuit is charging the batteries, besides any additional loads you use

Over heat might mean a dead fan, or very dusty internals of the device
If it was not caused by overloading
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
whit wrote:
I'm an idiot. It's sitting right there in the compartment to the right of the steps.
It is a Xantrex Freedom 458. The breaker has not tripped but the red Overtemp light is
rapidly flashing. Not sure what that means. Outlets still have no power.

Always thought that the 458 was an inverter/charger combo.
The house batteries are up and still be charged, right?
Do you not have a book on it?
Try resetting if you can and if not disconnect it at the batteries for a bit and see what that does.
Other than that, you might have to get the cover off, for a looksee, inside.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
whit wrote:
I'm an idiot. It's sitting right there in the compartment to the right of the steps.
It is a Xantrex Freedom 458. The breaker has not tripped but the red Overtemp light is

Here is your manual for your inverter with troubleshooting guide. Xantrax 458

ocean_bound
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had the same thing happen breaker wasn't triped breaker was bad you need to test a breaker with a circuit tester even though it's not tripped they go bad
Allen&carrie 2006 georgetown XL359 37ft

whit
Explorer
Explorer
Mike

vegasfoodguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
tropical36 wrote:
whit wrote:
Thanks all. I am in a RV resort in Las Vegas as we speak.
I looked in all the outside compartments and don't see the dang thing.
Could it be inside?
It's a Duracell 1000 inverter. As I said earlier all the outlets that don't work
are the same ones the inverter powers.
Now I just need to find it! While on vacation!

It's not far from the house batteries and probably right next door, if that's any help to ya.
Most won't be in the same compartment however, unless the batteries are sealed off and vented.
If your batteries are under the steps, then I'd be looking directly behind the entry door, where the converter was, on my 98 tropical. I installed my own and a separate inverter and put it in the compartment, forward of the entry door.
As for being inside, anything is possible, but I think that's a thing of the past.

My BIL has the same unit, when he had that problem, there was a breaker thrown in the box the inverter feeds, very close to inverter.
Monaco Diplomat, Cummins, 38a
Toad Grand Cherokee and Jeep Wrangler, Brake Buddy.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
whit wrote:
Yes the batteries are under the steps. I checked the compartment immediately to the right. The converter is in there, but no inverter. The compartment immediately to the left is through storage.
I've looked at the ceiling in every compartment also.
Still can't find it! I'll keep looking!

You're saying then, that it's definitely not an inverter/converter model and the inverter is a 1KW separate, after market unit that was installed by someone else. I must say, that with the brand Duracell, it sure does sound like that.
Given that, I'd be looking down under and behind the steps.
I mean, inverters generally have less than 5ft of cables feeding it, from the batteries and the unit itself is even closer than that.
Now, I'm still accepting, that you indeed have one and with these outlets that you speak of, are they part of the original system or those that were added, when the inverter was installed?
Some use that fridge outlet you speak of for the fridge and the the inverter outlet solely for the ice maker. However I don't and like having the capability of running the fridge on the inverter.
At this point and if I was to just guess and disregard some of the statements you've made, I'd be of the opinion that you do in fact have an inverter/charger combo unit.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

MrWizard
what Converter
are you sure, that it is not an inverter/charger combo unit

the GFI outlet could be in the kitchen, the outside patio outlet, bathroom, even the fridge outlet behind the fridge accessible from the outside cover
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you have a converter, you may not have an inverter.

whit
Explorer
Explorer
Yes the batteries are under the steps. I checked the compartment immediately to the right. The converter is in there, but no inverter. The compartment immediately to the left is through storage.
I've looked at the ceiling in every compartment also.
Still can't find it! I'll keep looking!
Mike

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
whit wrote:
Could it be inside?
It's a Duracell 1000 inverter. As I said earlier all the outlets that don't work

It's not far from the house batteries and probably right next door, if that's any help to ya.
Most won't be in the same compartment however, unless the batteries are sealed off and vented.
If your batteries are under the steps, then I'd be looking directly behind the entry door, where the converter was, on my 98 tropical. I installed my own and a separate inverter and put it in the compartment, forward of the entry door.
As for being inside, anything is possible, but I think that's a thing of the past.

whit
Explorer
Explorer
Could it be inside?
Mike

BobcatDriver
Explorer
Explorer
The inverter breakers did it to me once. One tool that I have found most useful when chasing 110 or 220 volt problems is an Inductive non-contact AC Voltage tester. Placed next to an insulated wire that contains 110 or 220 volts it will chirp. Available at most hardware stores and Home Depot.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
I had a similar situation and it turned out to be a Patio outlet got water in it from rain, quietly burnt up and open circuited which caused downstream outlets to not have power. Really a tricky issue because everything I looked at was INSIDE the RV or in a basement compartment and was OK...never occurred to me to look at a patio outlet until someone mentioned it.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.