cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1987 22 ft Chieftan radiator issues

4dogsandtheirpe
Explorer
Explorer
We recently purchased a very nice 87 22 ft Winnebago Chieftan. Yesterday the battery died and we had to get a jump,as soon as the motor turned over I watched all the antifreeze pour out onto the ground.A few hours later when I started it more fluid came pouring out of the radiator that looked like water. Only this time it was on the opposite side of where the antifreeze came out.Ten minutes later it started to overheat.

Next day I went to the local junk yard to get a radiator, right!!! It has been 24 hours,I have literally called EVERY auto parts store, EVERY mobile mechanic, searched every way I know and found NO radiator. Can anyone tell me how or where I can find a radiator? I might add a couple months ago our apartment caught fire and we lost almost everything. That is what prompted us to buy the RV. It is now our home,we live in it full time so this is a serious dilema. We are at risk of having it towed by the locale police. If we lose this RV we lose everything. Please can someone give any ideas or suggestions . We are very new to this lifestyle. Thank you.
4 REPLIES 4

Matt_Colie
Explorer II
Explorer II
4dogs,

Radiators can usually be repaired. A P30 radiator is a lot larger than a passcar version, so look for a place that does truck radiators.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

BrianinMichigan
Explorer
Explorer
I had a radiator shop rebuild/recore mine.
1990 GEORGIE BOY 28' 454 4BBL, TURBO 400 TRANS,
CAMPING: WHERE YOU SPEND A SMALL FORTUNE TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Having had a '87 Chieftain on a P30 Chevy Chassis I found the same problem,no one had them.So after some research I found a Radiator Specialty shop in my area and they built one for me. Check around they are they are sometimes hard to find these days,most shops just want to R and R them.

Good Luck!
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Bruce_Brown
When you call what are you asking for? If you're asking for a motorhome radiator I think you'll continue to come up empty.

I'm guessing you have a Chevy chassis - if so try again looking for a Chevy P30 chassis radiator.

Also, are you sure it's the radiator or could it just be the hoses?
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910