cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1989 Class B Dodge Clean Up & Carpet Replacement

rvroadtrips
Explorer
Explorer
I have been working on the inside of the camper. Pulled out the old vinyl and the carpet that was in the driving area. The amount of dirt that I had to vacuum up from all those years it was on the road was an eye opener.

I used the old floor as a pattern onto a cheap thin piece of carpet, making all the cuts and markings. I was so glad I did this because the original was not a good pattern and I found my bolt holes did not line up well. I was able to mark up this thin carpet with correct placement and I taped paper to any edges that required more material in spots. I was then able to cut a great fitting piece out of a much nicer and more expensive carpet.

I used the bound carpet edge where possible but of course there are many edges which after cutting are prone to unraveling. So I got some black latex paint and painted the underside of those edges as well as the edges themselves. Took me half a day to do the painting. Looks like it was a good decision and since the bound edges are black it looks great!

Christine
6 REPLIES 6

wolfinstl
Explorer
Explorer
I too would love to see pictures of anything you do as I intend to follow in your foot steps and redo my 1991 Dodge 350 Xplorer. I'd also love to follow your blog when you hit the road.

Safe Travels!

rvroadtrips
Explorer
Explorer
I could not find how to post photos that are on my PC and not the internet. I don't yet have a webpage or blog and the photo button on the advance posting options asks for a URL to post a photo. Is that the only photo option?

I will be doing a blog as we are only a year away from taking off and I'll have the time to do one. As for the Class B, I will likely sell it as we bought a new car last year so now we need a trailer instead. Right now it is my every day car and it has been our camping vehicle since 2009.

rvroadtrips
Explorer
Explorer
Yes Dodge 350 Xplorer. It takes hills great. Strange way to describe your vehicle - how you paid for it.

Last year I put in a new Fantastic Vent and had the transmission mount rebuilt. I also painted it with house paint after the auto paint place said they didn't want the job of painting it. I once belonged to Sisters On The Fly where we learned the joy of doing what the heck we wanted to on both the inside and the outside of trailers. I used to have a pot of chile peppers cooking over a campfire on the outside of my Chalet door.

The thing I am most dreading is upholstering the seats. I already have the passenger seat stripped and all the materials purchased but it sits in my spare room where I stare at it and wish the universe would just do it for me in the middle of the night. Alas, it seems I must tackle it myself.

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
Is yours an XLPLORER? Mine is a 1989 also.
See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds

rvroadtrips
Explorer
Explorer
I will make a note to post photos. I discovered the best way to cut the carpet is from the underside so I laid the pattern on top to decide how I wanted to cut it (my new carpet has a pattern) and then flipped it so that I had access to the underside. I could see the pattern well enough.

Despite my careful fitting when I put it in today I found I still had to do more cutting for that perfect fit. So now I have more latex to apply, let dry and then put it back it. At least that next time I will be able to bolt the seats back down.

Buy a box of zip top baggies and a Sharpie. Everything get bagged and tagged. Take photos before you take anything out so you have them as reference points later. I spent an hour today trying to figure out why there were no vertical holes on the seat bar to hold the seat down. Then I found the baggie marked seat floor clamps and everything fell into place.

Traveler7
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Christine, I have a 1977 with really bad carpet that I am going to clean out and I wondered if you could please post some pics so I can see your good work?
Thank you!
"We are not defined by our limitations, we are defined by our potential"