Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1997 F53 460 and Rotella R6 5w40

cm2785
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys,

I have a 97 F53 chassis with the 460 with 11,000 miles. I just got it so I don’t know what oil was in it but it had a Ford filter and the oil looked surprisingly clean. Today I put a Mobil 1 filter in it and Rotella R6 5w40. I was wondering what you guys think of this oil for my motor and miles. The book calls for 10w30 or 5w30. Thanks!
32 REPLIES 32

cm2785
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys, yeah luckily with 11k miles I don’t think it will be that dirty but it is almost 22 years old so who knows but on a good note the oil I took out was very clean!

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Diesel oil only means it's a higher detergent oil. That's all.

On a gas engine expect the first couple of oil changes to be pretty black if there are some miles on the engine. After that it will look normal to the gas engine wrench monkey.
There’s no fool, like an old fool.

11178adm
Explorer
Explorer
I have used rotella t6 5W40 my gas engines for the last 5 years with no problem 2, 5.4 fords, 1, 2.3 ford and 1, 3.0 ford all are high mileage 190,000+ miles. also 8.3 cummins in my MOHO. agree or disagree that is what I do and if they break in half I get to keep both halves and put them back together.

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK, never looked into criss crossing oil types. I just stick with what they are designed for.

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
lenr wrote:
Rotella is a diesel oil. OP should use gasoline rated oil. Converter fouling may result. Mobile 1 makes good synthetic wide range oil if that is the goal.

really ? well here what I found

Not only does 5W40 Rotella T6 meet API SM specifications (oil for gasoline engines), but it's sold as mixed-fleet oil which means it's specifically intended to simplify fleet maintenance by using it in both gasoline and diesel engines.

cm2785
Explorer
Explorer
lenr wrote:
Rotella is a diesel oil. OP should use gasoline rated oil. Converter fouling may result. Mobile 1 makes good synthetic wide range oil if that is the goal.

I don’t have a converter. Diesel oil is fine for gasoline too, in fact it’s one of the best. Mobil 1 is no longer using full synthetic stock so I’ve dumped it.

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II

Yankee_Clipper
Explorer
Explorer
I use Castrol 5W30 and have no trouble. I agree with the idea of not skimping with the quality of the oil filter. FRAM TG8 for mine.
Yankee Clipper
2014 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on Ford F53 6.8l V10
2014 Honda CRV 4 down toad/Roadmaster Falcon2 with EvenBrake
TireMinder TPMS,Tiger, the Little Big Man minidachshund,
Rosey the minidachshund resident Princess-in-Chief

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
MountainAir05 wrote:
You also will loose MPG with the 0W40.

no you will not

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
You also will loose MPG with the 0W40.

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
cm2785 wrote:
Thanks guys. I’ve been doing a lot of research and it seems a lot of people on that bob the oil guy site and many fleet services use 15-40 in the 460, but I thought that was pushing it.. it does get over 100 here but not that often. I just don’t want to do any damage going from 30 to 40..

you will be more than 100% fine with 5-40 oil so no worrys there what so ever

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:
Agreed. The manufacturers recommend those oils for a reason. If they wanted 5-40 They would have recommended 5-40. :W

I don't think that 5 weights were commonly available in 1996.

Was there a typo in the original post ? I don't think they make an R6.

I use Rotella T6 in both engine and generator.
I think it is 5W40.

Truth be known, the engine will NOT know the difference with a small deviation in the viscosity rating.

The bottom number for synthetics is often lower because it flows better when cold; that does not necessarily mean that it really is "thinner", especially if the top number is the same.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Your owner manual will also state what weight for extreme condition. A 460 in a Class A is an extreme condition. That is the same engine that goes into cars and much smaller vehicles.

My F53 460 went south for the winters. I ran Rotella 15w40 with no ill effects. Remember 5w in the old days was either for cold weather or to get better fuel economy. I bought that rig with 32K on it and sold it with close to 70K on it with no engine issues at all.
There’s no fool, like an old fool.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I ran Mobil 1 High Mileage formula 10-30 in our previous coach's 460. The High Mileage has a higher ZDDP level (phosphorous & zinc) than many other oils, for better lubrication/reduced wear of the flat tappets and cams in the 460. 5-30 or 10-30 are the weights recommended in the Ford service manual.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

cm2785
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys. I’ve been doing a lot of research and it seems a lot of people on that bob the oil guy site and many fleet services use 15-40 in the 460, but I thought that was pushing it.. it does get over 100 here but not that often. I just don’t want to do any damage going from 30 to 40..