cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1998 Gulf Stream Conquest help!!

Fatnjoe12
Explorer
Explorer
So I just got a new '98 conquest. Everything inside worked good when I bought it and today I took it out to the local shop and had the propane tank filled. Before the employee filled it he asked me where the master shut off was and of course I don't know. He looked inside the passenger door and inside the main door and said he couldn't find it and just filled the tank. I got the coach home and when I tried the power steps there was no power. I tried the lights and no power. I started the engine and still no power. Does anyone know where the master power is or what could cause this? Sorry if it's a dumb question but this is my first coach.
6 REPLIES 6

srd1941
Explorer
Explorer
Fatnjoe
I have a 94 Damon and several years ago, while working in the battery compartment, I shorted the batteries and immediately had no power to the house. I found that Damon, in their wisdom, had hid a thermal disconnect up behind the left turn signal light. This was not a re-set type of switch so had to install a new one and all was well again. Just thought I would mention this.
Stan

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Shorting the battery directly would not be likely to pop any house circuit breakers or fuses. It might cause a fuse to blow in the circuit between the chassis and house batteries with the isolator.

It is possible that the shorted house battery is damaged. Obviously you need to work out a properly secure battery hold down. A shorting out lead acid battery can lead to all sorts of quite bad things.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Fuses are 12Volt DC (the coach batteries and the converter) and the circuit breakers are 120v AC (shore power and generator if you have one).

There is not a main battery fuse in most RV's though some will have such. It is probably mounted close to the batteries if it does.

Good reading for a newbie who is interested and willing to learn.

Part 1 http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm
Part 2 http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volta.htm

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
In our 2004 Conquest, the breaker box was located at the bottom of a dinette seat, behind a black panel. Take off the panel and you'll find a combination of fuses and breakers.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Fatnjoe12
Explorer
Explorer
Found the problem. The previous owner never secured the house batt all the way and it must have moved. And I'm doing so is metal bar that holds the batt down ended up touches both posts. So it had to have kicked the breaker somewhere. I have looked everywhere on this motorhome and can't find the breaker box anywhere. Does anyone have any idea where it could be?and bigger question is do you think it could have fried the system when it crossed or would have a breaker saved it?

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
The person filling your propane tank should not care about any master shut off on your house batteries. If there is anything to worry about when filling the propane tank it is those appliances that may be close enough to the propane tank to give the employee concern when filling the tank. These appliances are the fridge, water heater, and furnace. The fridge and water heater have ON/OFF switches and you stop the furnace by setting the thermostat to the OFF position. Shutting them off kills any open flame that would worry the employee.

Are your house batteries located beneath the stair treads inside your coach door? Is there a battery disconnect switch hiding in there? Have you asked the seller if there is a battery disconnect switch and where it is located?

Was the RV's shore power cable plugged into a pedestal or outlet when you tested the systems? The converter can supply the 12V power to 12V lights and appliances when plugged into shore power. So if the 12V stuff runs when the shore power cable is plugged in but not when it is unplugged then start your investigation by looking at your house battery(ies).

Gain access to the house battery(ies) and put a multimeter on them to test the voltage.

Questions to answer:
1) are the house battery(ies) good? Do they hold a charge?
2) When plugged into shore power, is the converter charging the house battery(ies)?
3) if 1) and 2) are OK then you may have some other 12V electrical issue.
2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures