cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2000 Itasca Horizon 34BD Power Inverter

TTitans1
Explorer
Explorer
Need a little help here once again. We own a 2000 Itasca Horizon 34BD Class A motorhome which we live in most of the year. It has been parked and connected to a 20 Amp 110V outlet for 2 years and was working fine until I asked an electrician to wire up a 30 amp plug so that I could possibly run the A/C system this year. He came out and wired a 30 amp plug but he connected it to 220V instead and I believe he fried the Shoreline power converter box. After he realized what he had done he and a mobile RV mechanic bypassed the power converter box so that we would at least have AC power and not have to stay in a motel while waiting on a new box which I ordered. My confusion is that when he initially did this I had no AC power so I was looking at my power management panel in the RV and I did not see any of the lights on for the battery charging system on the bottom of the panel so I pressed the POWER INVERTER button and immediately had AC power and the lights for the battery charging system on the panel lit up. I do not remember having to press this switch after losing AC power (from blowing the 20 amp breaker and then resetting it ). Is this an indication that he may also have fried the power inverter? The RV guy seems to think so but I think that it shows that the inverter is working. Also since he bypassed the inverter I can't really test it until we get the new Shoreline switch in, Can someone clarify this for me? Also don't know if this had anything to do with it or not but now my furnace does not work either.

Thanks in advance
21 REPLIES 21

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Go to your inverter/charger, there should be a large fuse in the 12 volt DC lines coming from the batteries make sure it is good.
Check your battery fuse in your 12 volt DC distribution panel.
Check your control panel to insure the charge is turned on, if there is an option.
Do you have a battery charger? This could hold you over until all repairs are made.
Yes, the refrigerator requires 12 volts DC for control and LP operation.
DC charger could have been fried.
I hope the "electrician" is paying for all the repairs!
Call Xantrex!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

TTitans1
Explorer
Explorer
The info I got from the RV tech is that the inverter was indeed bypassed and therefore is no longer in the system. It is an Xantrex Freedom 15 inverter/charger. Just had to restart the coach again this morning as I noticed the batteries down to 10.5 ( wife operated the slideout )Also wondering if having the fridge on AC uses any DC since it gives me a message that the DC power is low which is how we first noticed it yesterday?

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
If the tech jumpered the transfer switch correctly, your converter is not operating.
Look at your inverter and see what make and model it is. Post the make and model. You may have an "inverter/charger" and no converter.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

TTitans1
Explorer
Explorer
Everything else appears to be working fine. Microwave, TVs, fridge, all work. batteries are fine although they did run down a little yesterday as wife had on here usual "all lights on including overhead flourescents" most of the day so I had to crank it up and let it recharge last night. I have solar panels on top which normally keep the batteries charged but it has been cloudy and raining for the past few days here. Rig is indeed a 50 amp but is connected to a 20 amp 110V ac plug at this time.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Your "inverter" tripped out because of the 240 volts applied. It could be history after you get the transfer switch replaced.
Your energy management system should be OK.
You may need other items as well. Converter could be fried, microwave and anything else 120 volts AC that was on when the 240 volts was applied.
You must have 12 volts DC for your furnace to operate. I am guessing that the converter is toast and the batteries are run down. You could try starting the rig, then try to operate the furnace. While the rig is running, 12 volts DC should be supplied to the rig. Lights and other 12 volt DC items should work.
If your lights are currently working then there is another issue with the furnace. Maybe a blown fuse.
I am guessing that your rig is 50 amp. Is this correct or is your rig 30 amp?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

TTitans1
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you. That is what I was hoping to hear and you are correct I did mean to call it a transfer switch but coffee has not kicked in yet so thanks again.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
TTitans1......I read and reread your post several times and it didn't make sense. It wasn't until I started to type a response it dawned on me what you're talking about. You're calling your Shoreline TRANSFER SWITCH a power converter. The terminology you used threw me off.

What you had happen isn't unusual. Many RV plugs are wired with 220volt by electricians who aren't familiar with RV wiring. The good news is....it sounds like they only ruined your transfer switch and didn't fry anything past that.

You said when you have tripped a breaker in the past, you didn't recall the inverter taking over. Inverters are usually turned on and off as needed. When you turned yours on and everything had power, that was the indication that nothing suffered damage inside the coach.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab