cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2000 winni adventurer roof problem

winniman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is a weird one. We are currently crossing Newfoundland on a three week holiday. We were up at the north end looking for icebergs (which we found). Crossing a very barren area the winds got very high one day. Suddenly we heard a noise at the rear roof area. The side wind had gotten under the fiberglass roof and torn a piece of the roof off. We put a few ratchet straps across the roof so we wouldn't lose any more of the roof. A piece about two feet by three feet had been torn from the roof. We got to St Anthony and bought some fiberglass mesh and resin at a hardware store to make a temporary repair. Upon closer inspection of the damaged area we noticed that the Styrofoam insulation under the fiberglass was what appeared to be melted to half the size and had created a void below the fiberglass. The only thing I can think of is that heat from the heat pump, which travels in cavities in the foam had overheated the foam and melted it. There is a cavity about two feet wide in from the edge about ten feet long. It looks like when I get home I will have remove the entire area of roof, replace the foam, then repair the fiberglass roof. The roof in this area appears kind of bubbled due to the void under it. Has anyone encounter this before.
2 REPLIES 2

AFChap
Explorer
Explorer
If the roof side seam caulk is not properly maintained, the fiberglass cap pop out of the groove just as you describe ...nothing to do with the heat pump.
Paul ... was Fulltimin... now HalfTimin!
KE5LXU, SMART, WIT, FMCA, Good Sam, Escapees
'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E / '17 Jeep GC Limited

Grandpa_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
We Have a 15,000 BTU with heat pump on our 2011 Sunseeker, I have used it a few times on cool days but have not noticed any deforming of the styrafoam when looking into the duct area.