cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2004 Dodge Ram 3500 2 wd Auto trans

Oldgypsies
Explorer
Explorer
Does anybody know what it would take to tow this truck? We have had it since it was new and love it, but we just bought a motorhome and trying to figure out what to do about a toad. We don't want to have to buy a trailer or a dolly really, suggestions"

Thanks in advance
6 REPLIES 6

Oldgypsies
Explorer
Explorer
I think we have about decided it is not worth five grand to set it up for towing. Thanks so much for your input!

fischer
Explorer
Explorer
what motorhome did you buy ? Is it gas or diesel
2016 Winnebago 35B v10
2006 Jeep Liberty 4x4
Blue ox Tow Bar

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
First, as always, read the Owners Manual, paying particular attention to "Recreational Towing" (if it is even addressed in the book. It might not be, because the manufacturer didn't expect that truck to be towed).
Offhand, I would say it is NOT towable. Eventually, you WILL ruin the transmission. IMO, you will need either a driveshaft disconnect or a lube pump. Either will really ruin a $1000 bill!
Even though I am not much for "ratings", I agree this may be too much truck for your motorhome. You REALLY need to weigh the truck, as loaded for travel, before you go any further, and compare the actual weight to the towing capacity of your coach. As stated, you will probably need a 10K capacity towbar!
Good luck.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
You need a Backhawk 2 all terrain 10k by Roadmaster. You will need a braking system. I suggest that you weigh your truck, then weigh the combination to ensure you are not over your GCWR or tow hitch rating.
FMCA member

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
I would advise putting a drive shaft disconnect on it, and getting the heaviest duty tow bar you can find, plus the strongest brake system.

You know you'll load that box ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
http://www.blueoxtowbars.com/

LIST it as towable, but with a weight warning. Going to depend on your hitch and the rating of your new RV.