cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2006 Coachmen house batteries

Your_Pal
Explorer
Explorer
First time post. I have a 2006 Coachmen Cross Country. Bought it a little over one week ago. Previous owner said he had the batteries replaced in January. Prior to that the originals lasted seven yrs.
He delivered it to our house for us. We set it up with slides out and used a heavy duty extension cord to plug it in. Watched some TV and used the interior lights while the kids did homework. No AC or heavy draw used.
Yesterday I went to pull the slides in and the batteries didn't have enough power to pull in the living room slide. RV was still plugged in and I turned the key to the right for aux. The generator didn't have enough battery to crank as well. I ended up having to turn on the RV. After several minutes I was able to turn on the generator and had enough power to pull in the slide.
The inverter was left on auto while it was parked and the key was out of the ignition. What is the correct position for the inverter. I have the remote panel that is over the door.

Any help would be great.

Thank You,
Rico
19 REPLIES 19

Your_Pal
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't check the volts yet but I did notice that the two house batteries are connected from positive to the negative on one battery and that goes to the positive on the other battery. The ground is only on the negative side of the one battery.
Does that seem like its correct. would have thought that the positives could piggyback but not with the negative in the middle.

It's kind of like this RV+ cable to + on battery #1. Jumper from battery #1 + to - on battery #1. Jumper from Battery #1 - to + on battery #2. Then battery #2 neg is grounded.

Thanks
Rico

Your_Pal
Explorer
Explorer
I'll check the volts today and look for the breaker.

Thanks

Rico

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
With it plugged in you do not need the inverter so I would turn it off. Checking the breakers on the inverter converter is a good idea because it sounds like it is not charging your batteries. Until you have over 13 votes on the house batteries they are not being charged.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Big_Blue
Explorer
Explorer
I was in a similar situation last week and learned the difference between coach & chassis batteries, as configured on my coach. Basically, plugging in to shore power charges the coach batteries but not the chassis batteries. Because my chassis batteries were about five years old, ended up doing a full replacement. This after a bunch of troubleshooting, cleaning, servicing & ineffective charging.

I have a conditioner charger on the chassis batteries right now and ordered the famous Trik-L-Charge solution this morning

This does not directly answer your question, but gives you some issues to consider.

Cheers, Good Luck & Enjoy The Ride.

PS - start a maintenance log now to start documenting what went wrong and how it was resolved.
Bob & Patty Smith
both USAF Retired

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
Were the lights inside bright?? Inverter/converter breaker might be tripped on the inverter unit.
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie