cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2006 Newmar Essex air bags

hammer01
Explorer
Explorer
Asking for a friend: 2006 Essex front air bags will randomly dump while the coach is in motion. Once stopped the bags will re-inflate. Our local repair facality cannot find the problem. Curious if anyone has had this problem and how to fix it.

Thanks, Jeff
12 REPLIES 12

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
hammer01 wrote:
Asking for a friend: 2006 Essex front air bags will randomly dump while the coach is in motion. Once stopped the bags will re-inflate. Our local repair facality cannot find the problem. Curious if anyone has had this problem and how to fix it.

Thanks, Jeff

seeing as it does it in motion only I think its more to do with a ride height level switch/solenoid more than it will have anything to do with the secondary air leveling system for when your sitting still while parked

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I learned the $$$ way that a big change in temp... Hot to cold can cause a tight fuel line to let air in BUT that took over night, NOT when driving down the road as the OP posted. It sounds like the front goes down fairly quickly and then reinflates fairly quickly... a bigger problem than just a leak.
OP, there should be a fuse for the air leveling HWH system... pull it when not needed/traveling and see if that stops the problem.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cold...Bad! My Prevost will hold level on the front air bags unless it is cold outside. I air up just fine when it's time to drive away but if I sit over night, and it's below about 40 outside, my front air bags will be low or empty. If the overnight temps were in the 50's or above I will be perfectly level.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

J_R2
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
"How do you know it's a HWH system"... I engage my brain before I open my mouth. You did not disappoint me.
Chapter 2 page 10 says it's a HWH air leveling system.
Come on Ivylog, that's not called for. Airbags do crazy things. I didn't mention air lines, but since you did, they also can leak and seal themselves. Just last week, a driver came in the shop with an air leak. Only leaked when started up cold. Turned out truck had new air compressor, air lines, and air governor installed in june 2016. 2 weeks ago weather got cold. One of lines going into air governor was taunt, got cold shrank. After running just a few minutes air was warm. Hose expanded just enough, no leak. Air systems are great, until.
Ron & Joanne 06 Revolution LE 40E

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
:S Double post.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
"How do you know it's a HWH system"... I engage my brain before I open my mouth. You did not disappoint me.
Chapter 2 page 10 says it's a HWH air leveling system.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had a similar situation with our bus and it turned out that the "can" that holds the air bag was rusted. When we hit a bump or stopped short or turned a bit too sharp the rubber would pull away from the bad enough to cause an instant release of air. When that movement changed the bus would air right back up and we were on our way again. It took forever for someone to find it but new air bags and we were good to go.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
No way is a air bag or air line going to seal itself as Brett said... a ride height maybe but no likely. I would remove the wires on the air leveling valve for the front axle to confirm it's an air leveling issue.
I would call HWH and see if this is a possible problem.

how do you know its a HWH system? maybe its a power gear with Valid controls or ??
agree no way its a leaking bag or line though. sounds like a deflate valve/solenoid is being triggered

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
No way is a air bag or air line going to seal itself as Brett said... a ride height maybe but no likely. I would remove the wires on the air leveling valve for the front axle to confirm it's an air leveling issue.
I would call HWH and see if this is a possible problem.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, Duplicate.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Air leveling? If so, that is where I would start.

While it could happen, less likely a mechanical ride height valve or air bag would go from OK to not OK and back to OK.....
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

J_R2
Explorer
Explorer
Could be ride height valve. Or a leak in one of the bags that seals itself most of the time. Spray with soapy water on bags, dump and reinflate.
Ron & Joanne 06 Revolution LE 40E