cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2010 Discovery 40G, 25k miles, what is good price?

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are once again toying with the idea of trading up to this model.

Dealer just got this unit in on a trade (has not even been put up for sale yet). They called us few days ago 'cause they knew we had been looking for this specific model, told us they had just got this one in. we looked at it the other day (could not test drive yet), it looks really good, previous owner seems to have really taken good care of it. No hints of leaks or delamination anywhere, slideout seals all look good, interior all looks good (just needs a little cleaning here and there). Almost looks like it could be put on the showroom floor as new.

They are right now putting a fresh set of tires on it and cleaning it up. New tires are included in the deal (without even asking). They are asking right at $140k for it. Seems pretty much in line with what I'm seeing on RVtrader for similar units, but book value shows significantly less for average retail value.

If we decide to move forward with this, plan to have a mobile RV technician we've known and worked with for years come out and help us check it out, make sure we don't miss anything that may be wrong. Also thinking about seeing if dealer will let us take it to a nearby Cummins dealer and have them check out the engine, chassis. The fact that its 6 years old and there will be probably no warranty, has me a little nervous, as I know almost nothing about diesel engines, air systems, etc. There are sooo many parts, systems with this unit that I know very little about.

Now, for the questions:

1. It has the 350 hp, 750 torque Cummins 6.7L engine. Will know more once I test drive it, but this seems like would be very underpowered, for a coach this size, wouldn't it?

2. Does their price sound fair, all things considered?

3. I've heard about quality issues Fleetwood had back about the time this one was built, 2010. Any specific issues anyone heard of or know of, that I should look closely for? Should I not even consider a Fleetwood of this age?

Thanks in advance, as always, for any and all input on this. ๐Ÿ™‚
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")
17 REPLIES 17

jdub1177
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
engine check a must or its a deal breaker, insist on your choice of tires , start at $110k out the door.

Hello, been a while since I posted but thought I'd chime in. ๐Ÿ™‚

I own this exact year and model - we love ours! I thought I'd offer insight on on a few things we had to deal with. *We have barely 20k on ours.

For one - YOU NEED TO FIND OUT when the DPF was serviced, filter changed, or anything replaced concerning the DPF. This motor is notorious for blowing a DPF, as most owners don't realize letting this motor idle for any period of time will clog the DPF (use high idle when not moving and motor running). Repair for us @ 14k miles was over $6k.... We purchased ours used with 12k miles.

The motor is horribly underpowered (we live in WA *lots of hills), but the secondary market has options - if you find the right guy. Next time the DPF needs serviced, we'll probably get creative to "free up the motor". ๐Ÿ˜‰

The full wall slide WILL crack the tile. The previous owner had this happen and their dealer came up with some thin (1/2 inch) rubber strips that is used under the slide rollers when contracted - make sure to implement if you buy the coach.

Finally - Midnightsadie is dreaming. I suppose you can start at $110k, but this coach is still in demand as the bunk model is very popular. We bought during a down time in the market and still paid $150k. There may be 4 or 5 used ones for sale in the country, and I still think they're bringing the same money we paid or close. I'm curious to see what your dealer will ask. Tires are expensive, so that could be 3k to the price. The Spartan Chassis is night and day better than Freightliner - IMO... ๐Ÿ™‚

****Just noticed they're asking $140k - fair...

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
I believe that engine is only 660ft/lbs torque, it will be very underpowered. I had a 39' discovery with 330 hp 860 ft/lbs and I was alway wanting more.

I think price wise I would be closer to the 125K range....look at the low wholesale, that is around what they will be in it for, if they make a quick $5k for a few days work they will be happy.
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
engine check a must or its a deal breaker, insist on your choice of tires , start at $110k out the door.