cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2010 Discovery 40G, 25k miles, what is good price?

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are once again toying with the idea of trading up to this model.

Dealer just got this unit in on a trade (has not even been put up for sale yet). They called us few days ago 'cause they knew we had been looking for this specific model, told us they had just got this one in. we looked at it the other day (could not test drive yet), it looks really good, previous owner seems to have really taken good care of it. No hints of leaks or delamination anywhere, slideout seals all look good, interior all looks good (just needs a little cleaning here and there). Almost looks like it could be put on the showroom floor as new.

They are right now putting a fresh set of tires on it and cleaning it up. New tires are included in the deal (without even asking). They are asking right at $140k for it. Seems pretty much in line with what I'm seeing on RVtrader for similar units, but book value shows significantly less for average retail value.

If we decide to move forward with this, plan to have a mobile RV technician we've known and worked with for years come out and help us check it out, make sure we don't miss anything that may be wrong. Also thinking about seeing if dealer will let us take it to a nearby Cummins dealer and have them check out the engine, chassis. The fact that its 6 years old and there will be probably no warranty, has me a little nervous, as I know almost nothing about diesel engines, air systems, etc. There are sooo many parts, systems with this unit that I know very little about.

Now, for the questions:

1. It has the 350 hp, 750 torque Cummins 6.7L engine. Will know more once I test drive it, but this seems like would be very underpowered, for a coach this size, wouldn't it?

2. Does their price sound fair, all things considered?

3. I've heard about quality issues Fleetwood had back about the time this one was built, 2010. Any specific issues anyone heard of or know of, that I should look closely for? Should I not even consider a Fleetwood of this age?

Thanks in advance, as always, for any and all input on this. 🙂
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")
17 REPLIES 17

chesterhull
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks a lot jdub!

jdub1177
Explorer
Explorer
You can access the bunks while crusing. The access is through the bathroom sliding door. Works well.

chesterhull
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry (sorta) to resurrect the thread, but curious about one thing on the Discovery 40g. Can you access the bunks while traveling? (Meaning, with the slide in?)
What about the back bedroom?

We are considering the 40g, in the 2010 year range. We had a 2008 Berkshire 340bh, and liked it a lot, but I like the floor plan in the 40g better. Unless the bunks are unusable with the slide in!

Thanks!

Motorhomeless in Va!

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Update, and probably closure on this topic: ('cause I don't want to be one of those folks that starts a topic like this and never lets everyone know what happened)

Talked to dealer just a little while ago. Deal fell through, not gonna happen. Could not agree on some things with the deal, mostly the financing terms various banks would offer. Even though we have a really, really good credit rating...With a unit this old there is no way to do the deal without putting down more cash up front than I'm willing to part with right now.

Sooo, if anyone else is interested in this 2010 Discovery 40G, PM me and I'll give you the details of where it is. You won't find it on rvtrader or any other website, as they don't have it listed for sale yet, and probably won't list it anywhere. Sales reps are all confident it will sell just 'bout as fast as they put it on the sales floor. Like some have already said, these Discovery 40G units are very popular, and get snagged up very quickly. I just hate we ain't in a position to do the snagging right now. Maybe another time.

Will
Will and Cheryl

tinkerer
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know about a full slide on the 2008 model but my 2007 full slide has been trouble free. As of now it would be difficult for us to go back to a coach without a full slide.:)

Cbones
Explorer
Explorer
willald wrote:
Hmmm....constant radiator failure, DPF system that robs engine of its power and can result in major repair bill, slideouts cracking tile floor unless after-market enhancements done....

I starting to think, I better off sticking with our Georgetown gasser. Or at the very least, if we go this Discovery route, I better make the dealer throw in a really good extended service contract that will cover some of these things!

I am supposed to go look at it in much more detail Thursday, possibly, if numbers work out that dealer is crunching right now with the bank. Very glad to have the information noted here to keep in mind when looking it over and negotiating the deal. Thank you, to everyone who relayed their experience with this coach. 🙂

Every coach has gremlins. I was just pointing out my history. Take the coach for a spin and see what you think. It definitely has a small engine, but you will be able to load her up, put a toad on the back, and get anywhere your heart desires. Not very many years ago, this would have been considered a very capable engine. Remember to list your wants and needs carefully, and then decide.

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hmmm....constant radiator failure, DPF system that robs engine of its power and can result in major repair bill, slideouts cracking tile floor unless after-market enhancements done....

I starting to think, I better off sticking with our Georgetown gasser. Or at the very least, if we go this Discovery route, I better make the dealer throw in a really good extended service contract that will cover some of these things!

I am supposed to go look at it in much more detail Thursday, possibly, if numbers work out that dealer is crunching right now with the bank. Very glad to have the information noted here to keep in mind when looking it over and negotiating the deal. Thank you, to everyone who relayed their experience with this coach. 🙂
Will and Cheryl

Cbones
Explorer
Explorer
Without looking up the exact mileages, it was happening every 10-15k miles. The old design was a fin and tube radiator. The tubes would eventually rupture due to stress. The new design is a bar and plate design which seems more robust. (Fingers crossed). One other item that I forgot to mention was a cracked exhaust manifold at around 60K miles. This seems quite common on the ISB and ISC engines. As far as power, it is not an ISX for sure, but there is no mountain that you won't get over. I typically tow a Jeep Grand Cherokee about 5K lbs, and a Toyota Camry 3K lbs.(not at the same time of course), and you can definitely feel the weight difference, but I can usually keep up with a loaded 18 wheeler. So as long as you are not attempting to break any speed records, it does just fine.

jdub1177
Explorer
Explorer
Cbones wrote:
They will all have DPF. Middle to end of 2010 you will see DEF as the 2010 built engines started trickling out. Is it a Spartan or Freightliner chassis? If it is a Spartan, make sure that the radiator was upgraded. I was the owner of the test vehicle for the radiator upgrade. Trust me it was no fun as I was towed and had the radiator replaced 4 times before the final version was installed. It will be prohibitively expensive if it was not done under warranty. I have over 100,000 miles on mine now, and it has been bullet proof for over 50K miles. I have not had any issues with broken tiles on the FWS, but rather on the kitchen slide. A couple of extra slide rollers cured that issue. The only other major issues are inadequate cooling in the summer months with only 2 ACs, and undersized front jacks. The factory cured that with a 3rd AC installed in the bedroom, and heavier 12K jacks. Lastly, if they are changing tires, I would recommend Michelins. When I had Goodyears, I had terrible rivering issues. Without changing anything other than tires, that has gone away. I know that is a controversial subject, but I am just relaying my anecdotal experience. One final item to check is corrosion on the tubular frame. Fleetwood does a woeful job of corrosion prevention. As far as price, I have had 2 bonafide offers of 120K and 125K. I declined both. All in all it has been a great coach. Good luck with your decision.

2010 Fleetwood Discovery 40G

This sounds like your source for the best info! 😉

You worry me about radiators though?? I'd have to look at my manufacture date, but at what mileage did you start losing the radiators?

I didn't mean to insinuate the DPF went away, just that the EPA required systems now are much better. I've owned DEF pickups that had their own share of issues too.

Funny how you declined the offers, we feel the same way. The coach fits so well, we have a 14 and 5 year old, I can't see anything else working better. I just would like to maintain 50 mph+ up large grades, 30 - 35 is a bit ridiculous...

Cbones
Explorer
Explorer
They will all have DPF. Middle to end of 2010 you will see DEF as the 2010 built engines started trickling out. Is it a Spartan or Freightliner chassis? If it is a Spartan, make sure that the radiator was upgraded. I was the owner of the test vehicle for the radiator upgrade. Trust me it was no fun as I was towed and had the radiator replaced 4 times before the final version was installed. It will be prohibitively expensive if it was not done under warranty. I have over 100,000 miles on mine now, and it has been bullet proof for over 50K miles. I have not had any issues with broken tiles on the FWS, but rather on the kitchen slide. A couple of extra slide rollers cured that issue. The only other major issues are inadequate cooling in the summer months with only 2 ACs, and undersized front jacks. The factory cured that with a 3rd AC installed in the bedroom, and heavier 12K jacks. Lastly, if they are changing tires, I would recommend Michelins. When I had Goodyears, I had terrible rivering issues. Without changing anything other than tires, that has gone away. I know that is a controversial subject, but I am just relaying my anecdotal experience. One final item to check is corrosion on the tubular frame. Fleetwood does a woeful job of corrosion prevention. As far as price, I have had 2 bonafide offers of 120K and 125K. I declined both. All in all it has been a great coach. Good luck with your decision.

2010 Fleetwood Discovery 40G

jdub1177
Explorer
Explorer
willald wrote:
jdub1177 wrote:
midnightsadie wrote:
engine check a must or its a deal breaker, insist on your choice of tires , start at $110k out the door.

Hello, been a while since I posted but thought I'd chime in. 🙂

I own this exact year and model - we love ours! I thought I'd offer insight on on a few things we had to deal with. *We have barely 20k on ours.

For one - YOU NEED TO FIND OUT when the DPF was serviced, filter changed, or anything replaced concerning the DPF. This motor is notorious for blowing a DPF, as most owners don't realize letting this motor idle for any period of time will clog the DPF (use high idle when not moving and motor running). Repair for us @ 14k miles was over $6k.... We purchased ours used with 12k miles.

The motor is horribly underpowered (we live in WA *lots of hills), but the secondary market has options - if you find the right guy. Next time the DPF needs serviced, we'll probably get creative to "free up the motor". 😉

The full wall slide WILL crack the tile. The previous owner had this happen and their dealer came up with some thin (1/2 inch) rubber strips that is used under the slide rollers when contracted - make sure to implement if you buy the coach.

Finally - Midnightsadie is dreaming. I suppose you can start at $110k, but this coach is still in demand as the bunk model is very popular. We bought during a down time in the market and still paid $150k. There may be 4 or 5 used ones for sale in the country, and I still think they're bringing the same money we paid or close. I'm curious to see what your dealer will ask. Tires are expensive, so that could be 3k to the price. The Spartan Chassis is night and day better than Freightliner - IMO... 🙂

****Just noticed they're asking $140k - fair...

Thank you, jdub! This is exactly the kind of information I was hoping to get. 🙂

Yes, I thought the same thing when I saw midnightsadie's post - Nobody is going to sell a 2010 Discovery 40G for $110k, and if they do, you better RUN from it, 'cause there is something bad wrong with it, haha.

Excellent points, about the DPF and full wall slide issue. Will definitely check into that. I did not realize that year had the DPF.

Not surprised to hear that you feel it is underpowered. I was 'fraid of that, too, but will reserve judgement until I can test drive it.

Please keep the comments coming, and thanks in advance for them. 🙂

Will

The ISB 6.7 is a great motor - same motor Ram was using with 400hp and 800 lbs in 2013... The DPF is the powersuck. The same motor now days is much stronger as the EPA technology has improved.

jdub1177
Explorer
Explorer
lj2654 wrote:
$120 with the tires new.....

Guys - why don't you qualify your opinions?? Shooting in the dark only annoys people.

1. Do you have direct sales experience with this year/model?
2. Do you own one?

The 40G is one of the very few over 40' Diesel Bunkhouses available...

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
$120 with the tires new.....
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
jdub1177 wrote:
midnightsadie wrote:
engine check a must or its a deal breaker, insist on your choice of tires , start at $110k out the door.

Hello, been a while since I posted but thought I'd chime in. 🙂

I own this exact year and model - we love ours! I thought I'd offer insight on on a few things we had to deal with. *We have barely 20k on ours.

For one - YOU NEED TO FIND OUT when the DPF was serviced, filter changed, or anything replaced concerning the DPF. This motor is notorious for blowing a DPF, as most owners don't realize letting this motor idle for any period of time will clog the DPF (use high idle when not moving and motor running). Repair for us @ 14k miles was over $6k.... We purchased ours used with 12k miles.

The motor is horribly underpowered (we live in WA *lots of hills), but the secondary market has options - if you find the right guy. Next time the DPF needs serviced, we'll probably get creative to "free up the motor". 😉

The full wall slide WILL crack the tile. The previous owner had this happen and their dealer came up with some thin (1/2 inch) rubber strips that is used under the slide rollers when contracted - make sure to implement if you buy the coach.

Finally - Midnightsadie is dreaming. I suppose you can start at $110k, but this coach is still in demand as the bunk model is very popular. We bought during a down time in the market and still paid $150k. There may be 4 or 5 used ones for sale in the country, and I still think they're bringing the same money we paid or close. I'm curious to see what your dealer will ask. Tires are expensive, so that could be 3k to the price. The Spartan Chassis is night and day better than Freightliner - IMO... 🙂

****Just noticed they're asking $140k - fair...

Thank you, jdub! This is exactly the kind of information I was hoping to get. 🙂

Yes, I thought the same thing when I saw midnightsadie's post - Nobody is going to sell a 2010 Discovery 40G for $110k, and if they do, you better RUN from it, 'cause there is something bad wrong with it, haha.

Excellent points, about the DPF and full wall slide issue. Will definitely check into that. I did not realize that year had the DPF.

Not surprised to hear that you feel it is underpowered. I was 'fraid of that, too, but will reserve judgement until I can test drive it.

Please keep the comments coming, and thanks in advance for them. 🙂

Will
Will and Cheryl