cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2013 vs 2014

clements02
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at changing from a 5th wheel to a diesel pusher. Looking at a discovery with bunks. I'm curious what other owners would advise, buy new 2014 for a good price I feel, or buy a 2013 with 12k miles and about $40k less money. Both units similarly equipped.
7 REPLIES 7

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you can negotiate a warranty to go with the 2013, then to me it is a no brainer and the $40,000 is better in your pocket than anywhere else. Even if you can't get a warranty from the dealer, for a few thousand you can purchase a good extended warranty for the items that are not still under the manufacturers warranty and still have money left over.
Naturally the mileage DOES NOT tell the full story since there could still be a lot of wear to the interior and other systems if the coach was used every day of the year that the previous owner had the coach. If the interior shows little or no wear, save the $40,000 and enjoy.

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
clements02 wrote:
Looking at changing from a 5th wheel to a diesel pusher. Looking at a discovery with bunks. I'm curious what other owners would advise, buy new 2014 for a good price I feel, or buy a 2013 with 12k miles and about $40k less money. Both units similarly equipped.

You will get a 2014 40G for about $230-235K. A 2013 new would be around $205-209K. A used 2013 would be around $199ish. The 2014 has a bigger engine, same HP, more TQ. But it is a heavier engine, more displacement = less MPG. There are some upgrades, mostly the drivers area, and it is nicer overall for sure! But not really $25K nicer. We love our 40G, but I don't feel bad I didn't get a 2014. They are more expensive. They are VERY close, and I would make sure you get the one with the slide trays in the storage.

ww
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
kitch251 wrote:
Keep in mind that you can buy a new Coach for 23-25 percent off the sticker price if not trading in something.

Kitch251 is right. Do not make any decision until you deal on the new unit. You will get around 26% off list price. List price needs to be on a sheet from the manufacturer. If the difference is $40 K then you have a something to consider.
Is the 2014 exactly what you want?
Is it in excellent shape inside and out?
Are the tires in like new condition?
Look at it from the side to make sure that there has been no body damage. If all has been considered and there is really no difference the decision is yours. We purchased our last RV when it was 6 months old and was in mint condition with 1500 miles on it. We were glad that we did as it worked out well for us. Good luck with your decision.
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One

Fla_Tom1
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
Everyone sees things differently. But the way I see it $40K buys a lot of gas enough for 8 trips to Alaska. By the time you negotiate the actual sales price it will be even less. Also the first owner hopefully worked out all the problems of buying a new MH. So I think you will get the best of both worlds a new MH with new tires etc with the problems worked out for $50K or so less assuming they are equivalent MHs.
Or maybe the first owner could not get the bugs worked out and so they traded it? I KNOW first hand this happens

kitch251
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind that you can buy a new Coach for 23-25 percent off the sticker price if not trading in something.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Everyone sees things differently. But the way I see it $40K buys a lot of gas enough for 8 trips to Alaska. By the time you negotiate the actual sales price it will be even less. Also the first owner hopefully worked out all the problems of buying a new MH. So I think you will get the best of both worlds a new MH with new tires etc with the problems worked out for $50K or so less assuming they are equivalent MHs.

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
This is a no brainer. The used unit! $40,000 is a lot of money.