cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2016 F-53 New 6 Speed trans BUT Less HP, Is It Worth It ?

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
I see the new 2016 F-53 is out with the 6 speed transmission, but is has 42 less HP. WHAT ?

2016 F-53 Motorhome Stripped Chassis and F-59 Commercial Stripped Chassis. The dependable 6.8L features a free-breathing 3-valve-per-cylinder induction system and generates an impressive 320 horsepower and 460 lb.-ft. of torque

2006 to 2015 >Horsepower 362 hp @ 4750 rpm, Torque 457 lb.-ft. @ 3250 rpm.

But with the 5 star tuning on the 5 speed it shifts so well and we get to keep the extra 42 HP, may not seem like a lot but in the mountains you will wish you had extra 42 HP.

Maybe the 2006-2015 V-10'S are Keepers..

2016 link :
http://www.ford.com/commercial-trucks/strippedchassis/trim/f53classamotorhome/

2007 link :
http://www.meadowlandford.com/ford-6.8l-engine-specs.htm
31 REPLIES 31

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
Bruce Brown wrote:
wildtoad wrote:
Of course the net of all this is that if you are going to buy most any 2016 gas motorhome you are going to get the new engine and transmission. I just bought a 2016 Newmar and it runs just fine. I have read some posts about the downshift with some saying it works well, others say not. Have not been a situation yet to know.

I wonder how much of that is in the operations side. I know on my Super Duty diesel (same transmission, I believe) if you do nothing it doesn't hold much back, if you tap the brake once to let it know you want it hold back it does a wonderful job of doing so.

You are also correct on if you buy a gasser today thats what you're going to get - Ford is the only one left in the gasser game as far as I know.

Gooding. R wrote:
The HP takes it down the road and the torque climbs the hills without changing gears. The latter is the most important. You can move an RV with a 10 HP motor but it has no power without the torque.

Exactly. HP is good for bragging rights, torque is what gets the job done.
Do you think you would really notice 3 more ft-lbs of torque?

you'll certainly notice the much better gearing of the 6 speed, I think in the end it will perform on part or slightly better than the 2015 and older models. I would not be concerned one it.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

lonewolf80
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well another case of the EPA trampling on an industry segment. Incredible. We are not Europe.

Bruce_Brown
Gjac wrote:
Bruce Brown wrote:
wildtoad wrote:
Of course the net of all this is that if you are going to buy most any 2016 gas motorhome you are going to get the new engine and transmission. I just bought a 2016 Newmar and it runs just fine. I have read some posts about the downshift with some saying it works well, others say not. Have not been a situation yet to know.

I wonder how much of that is in the operations side. I know on my Super Duty diesel (same transmission, I believe) if you do nothing it doesn't hold much back, if you tap the brake once to let it know you want it hold back it does a wonderful job of doing so.

You are also correct on if you buy a gasser today thats what you're going to get - Ford is the only one left in the gasser game as far as I know.

Gooding. R wrote:
The HP takes it down the road and the torque climbs the hills without changing gears. The latter is the most important. You can move an RV with a 10 HP motor but it has no power without the torque.

No, I don't - and thats the point. IMO the doom and gloom of the reduced HP number is being blown out of proportion.

In the normal V10 operating range this new version is rated virtually identical to the old version, and by reading the reports from actual owners is doing a great job while paired to the new transmission.

Sure we all like big HP numbers, but the reality is torque is what gets the job done. Seeing as this engine has slightly MORE torque and at slightly LESS RPMs makes me think it should be just fine - and that seems to be the case.

I think if I were in the market I may actually prefer the new version over the old one. I know I'd sure be trying them both if I could.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
timmac wrote:
Gjac wrote:
timmac wrote:
smkettner wrote:
With more torque I doubt you will notice. How often do you really run 4750 rpm for extended periods?
Power curve is just a bit lower on the chart.
Lots of people seem to think a little lower RPM might be OK.

Its 42 less HP through out the curve, just not at 4750 RPM's, and the new one only has 3 more lbs of Torque if that is correct, maybe they just added the 3 lbs to make people not notice the 42 less HP, Gas motorhomes don't have lots of extra power like diesel so why have less power, I thought the HP was to go up not down, its not like the motorhomes are getting lighter.

And yes its the same ratio in 6 gear as the 5 speed trans is in 5th gear..

I will keep my 42 HP, Banks Power System and 5 star tuning and pass the new 2016's while towing going up the mountains..
Does your Banks power system include headers? How much more HP does your Banks add? How much more HP does your 5 star tuning add? Sounds like you are already ahead of the game.

Cant say for sure but conservently I would say I have 400 HP and 500 lbs of Torque but Banks rates it higher, and yes I have the Banks headers.
. You are already way ahead of the game. With 400 HP in a 32 ft MH there is not many Gas or Diesel MH 's that will pass you on a hill.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
timmac wrote:
smkettner wrote:
With more torque I doubt you will notice. How often do you really run 4750 rpm for extended periods?

Its 42 less HP through out the curve, just not at 4750 RPM's, and the new one only has 3 more lbs of Torque if that is correct, maybe they just added the 3 lbs to make people not notice the 42 less HP, Gas motorhomes don't have lots of extra power like diesel so why have less power, I thought the HP was to go up not down, its not like the motorhomes are getting lighter.

I will keep my 42 HP, Banks Power System and 5 star tuning and pass the new 2016's while towing going up the mountains..
Does your Banks power system include headers? How much more HP does your Banks add? How much more HP does your 5 star tuning add? Sounds like you are already ahead of the game.

Cant say for sure but conservently I would say I have 400 HP and 500 lbs of Torque but Banks rates it higher, and yes I have the Banks headers.

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
I have one. Previously had a 2012 and 2015. They were shorter so lighter. Mine is in Winnebago 38Q. I love it. Power is as good and shift points are great and smoother. It is much quieter. I am jumping up and down pleased. I am towing 2500 lbs more this trip with a bigger coach and it is great. It is so much quieter as well. Great improvement to increase torque and decrease HP.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
timmac wrote:
smkettner wrote:

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bruce Brown wrote:
wildtoad wrote:

Gooding. R wrote:

Bruce_Brown
wildtoad wrote:

Gooding. R wrote:

Bruce & Jill Brown

Gooding__R
Explorer
Explorer

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Bruce_Brown
timmac wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:
I notice the lower HP engine also has higher torque at lower rpm, meaning theoretically should pull better in RV application.
That if it is coming with properly selected gears.

But at 3250 RPM's the older V-10 has 357 lbs, 3 lbs is not to much difference.

But 42 HP is a lot.

The HP and torque at the 3,000 & 4,000 RPM marks are virtually identical, and that is the RPM range the V10 always ran.

With the new transmission my level of concern would be 0.
Bruce & Jill Brown

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Personally it would not concern me. Since Ford did not appear to change the physical characteristics of the engine (valve configuration or size, injectors, compression ratio and such) I would suspect the derating is electronic and can be regained with a tuner if desired. Probably tweaked the injector pulse timing to give a slightly smaller charge of fuel per compression cycle. Easiest and lowest cost way to meet requirements. Retooling a production line is something altogether different. Very expensive.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

Skylark
Explorer
Explorer
Timirac, I just had a customer return a 2016 ford f650 box truck driving from Gulf Shores, Alabama to Murphy, NC and said he averaged better than 10 miles to the gallon on the trip. Which I think is great on that size of truck.