cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2021 E450 dual alternator

brianjw
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have this package, or can anyone help with parts? Specifically with the gas 7.3L.

My RV has the single 210 amp alternator, and Iโ€™d like to upgrade to a 240/157a dual alternator setup.

Nobody lists an aftermarket setup yet and the dorks at the parts dept were not just unhelpful, but angry that I was asking... Supposedly without a vin number of a unit with dual alternators, they canโ€™t look at parts diagrams and tell me what brackets/idlers/belt etc would be required.

Thanks for the help!
2006 F150 SuperCrew FX4 - Bilsteins, Hellwig sway bar, Firestone air bags, BFG KM2s, 4.56 gears, F&R lockers, Torklifts w/ Fastguns
2011 Travel Lite 700
20 REPLIES 20

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Let me chime in here with some thoughts:

1. Large and reliable alternators will probably become more important as lithium coach batteries become more common in motorhomes. Supposedly lithium battery banks charge fast - but only if one has a charging method that can deliver the high currents that the batteries will accept. For dry camping - especially when many hours of enough solar aren't available - a large capacity alternator driven by an idling chassis engine might be very useful.

2. Since any vehicle's alternator is very important, having two on board - when one or the other is getting used a lot for high current lithium coach battery charging year after year - to me would be a necessity for equipment backup purposes should one or the other fail when drycamping. Always have a Plan B for critical Plan A failures!

P.S. I think that emergency service vehicles often have dual alternators.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
What "parts" store were you at? Autozone or Advance are likely clueless. NAPA or Federated would likely be a bit more helpful. The Ford dealer parts department would likely be your best choice.
I too would check with Ford on possible warranty complications.
What are you going to be running with the extra power? 210 amps is huge in the world of automotive alternators.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Curious. Why do you think you need dual alternators ?

X-2

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is it a good idea to do this while the brand new rv is still under warranty ?

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Curious. Why do you think you need dual alternators ?

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can find lots of info here.
You can also contact the Ford Upfitter team on there.

https://www.fordbbas.com/home/
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY