cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

22.5 tires $$$$ ?

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ok. So I’m looking at class A’s. Between 2013 and 2015, maybe a bit older if it’s immacualte. I’ve been pricing tires and found that the 22.5’s are pricey, around $500 ea on average. 19.5’s are about half that price. So if I find one that I like it’s probably going to need tires, at least the 2 steer tires! Anyone found a place that offered good prices for a quality tire! And do these tires fall under the same category for replacement! Every 5 or so years?

I’m sure I’ll have a lot more questions!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!
23 REPLIES 23

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
While on this subject. Where may one get a valid true nonsales orientated inspection of tires?

MrWizard
Put Toyos on the previous Safari DP
About $400 per tire
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Ya, I won’t by Michelin. They show signs of dry rot after 3 years. So those are out. Just part of owning a class A I guess. I was set on 22.5’s. But now I would consider 19.5’s over 22.5’s!

You won't find any class A coaches with 19.5 tires built after 2009.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ya, I won’t by Michelin. They show signs of dry rot after 3 years. So those are out. Just part of owning a class A I guess. I was set on 22.5’s. But now I would consider 19.5’s over 22.5’s!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes, 22,5 tires are pricey. Most companies recommend replacement every 5-7 years OR have them dismounted and interior casings checked for integrity every year thereafter. Can you run them longer? Of course. Should you? Is it wise? Depends on how lucky you feel and whether you are willing to risk your safety and/or those who share the road with you. Anyway, cost is also dependent on the size of the tire. 315s will cost more than 270s etc. FMCA has a discount program which I've used for my last two sets of Michelins. I won't skimp on tires as I feel they are probably the most important aspect of safety. Also it's no fun sitting on the side of the road waiting for the tow truck to change your tire, to say nothing of the damage done to your coach if the tire blows at 60 mph.

That said, it's IMPORTANT that you know/learn how to read the date codes on the tires. The date code will be molded into the tire casing and is usually mounted on the INSIDE so it takes a bit to locate it. Knowing this will give you info on the tire life left. Obviously, on a used coach you'll have zero knowledge as to what kind of life they've had so check them carefully. Also, don't assume because a tire is NEW that it's really new. Check date codes on those also. When buying tires, I insist on tires less than 6 months old. Finally, use the search box at the top of the page to see previous posts and obtain a lot of good information that has been previously discussed. Tons and tons of great info available, especially about tires.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get the 22.5s. Ride better and better ground clearance
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
FMCA has discount programs for Continental, Hankook, BF Goodrich, and Michelin.

You can now join FMCA with a towable.

sailor_lou
Explorer
Explorer
Last time around I went with Bridgestones, $2600 out the door with mounting and balancing (beads). I have found if properly maintained (cleaned with no petroleum based products, inflated to spec, frequent checks for road damage & covered when not in use), tires will last well beyond 5 years. I have always gone 10 years and other than some small sidewall cracking (only seen this on the Michelins), I've never had an issue. I usually check out the interior of the old tires when I replace them and so far, they always look like new (no visible internal cracking). Good luck.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Michelin XRVs are indeed pricy. As I recall with FMCA discount about 3500 for six of 'em and you still have to put 'em on... page 2

So I got TOYO's which are within 1/2 of one percent when it comes to size (Fit the rim exactly overall outside diameter or circumference is less than 1/2 of one percent smaller. makes about 1/2 MPH difference at 50 MPH or less)

2300 out the drive.. (Installed with balance beads) Belle Tire. Burton MI.

Your price may vary from shop to shop.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times