cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

30 amp service pedestal

vcbutton
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to install a 30 amp pedestal to keep my rig plugged in at home. This made me curious about what the difference might be between 20 and 30 amps besides wire gage and the three pronged plug. It's just a normal 110 V hook up, right?
Without America. there is no free world!
24 REPLIES 24

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
Had a 30 installed in my existing garage and another in my new garage as well so I can charge in driveway at older garage or parked inside the new one. Makes things very convenient.

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
My garage was wired for a 50 amp RV plug.
I just put a 50/30 adapter on it.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
For a reasonable length of wire:

14g = 15 amp
12g = 20 amp
10g = 30 amp
6 g = 50 amp

If a very long run of wire, go to the next larger size wire. In this example, 6g is the largest, 14g is the smallest.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
We had the electrician install a 30Amp RV receptacle on the side of the garage plus regular 110vac outlets in various places on the outside of our house during our renovation. The regular shore cable reaches the RV receptacle with plenty of cable to spare. Have a simple line voltage meter plugged into an outlet in your rig and make sure local line voltage is high enough with your roof AC on.

vcbutton
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks.

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
For the 30 amp circuit, 10 ga is normal. Mlts is using 6 ga due to his being 50 amp service.
Currently Between RVs

vcbutton
Explorer
Explorer
Great info. So, 6 ga wire is adequate?

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
tenbear wrote:
If you have an electrician install the 30 Amp outlet make sure he understands it is 120v. There have been many stories on the forum of electricians thinking the socket is a 240v socket and the resulting damage to the camper.

Even though I used an electrician that I have used for years and is licensed and bonded after he wired my plug I still and to this day still plugged-in through this unit
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
My son installed this 30A hook up a few years ago. Couldn't be much more convenient. Motor homes are just a few feet away.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
you can always take 10 seconds and check it with a volt meter
Currently Between RVs

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
My next place, I'm probably going to do the above route, so I can have 50A service. One 50A plug, one leg having 30A service, the other leg with one twin 20A receptacles.

It is scary how many stories I read on this forum about 220VAC going to a 120VAC rig. It makes me want to pay the 258 bones for an active EMS (Progressive Industries EMC-LCHW30C for example) so if it does happen, I get an E-3 error on the display and no power rather than a fried rig.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Johno02 wrote:
When I installed an outlet for our Motor Home parking, even though it is set up for a 50A service, I went with a 30A service and outlet, and use an adapter. This was because with the distance I had to run, and the cost of wire for 50A as opposed to the cost for 30A. As we do not need 50A when parked at home, the 30A service was less that half the cost of what a 50A would have been. Abou all we need is just to keep the batteries charged, and the TV sometimes. If necessary, I can run one of the ACs on 30A just fine. An, like it said, it cost half as much. And no worry about it being wired wrong.

I did just the opposite. I have a 30 amp rig, but when wiring a pedestal I figured why not go all the way. I was doing all the work myself, and the distance was only about 20 feet. I ran three 6g wires (red, black, white) and a 10g green. Put a 50 amp 2 pole breaker in the breaker box and hung this:

BTW, the small box below has telephone and satellite.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
Stick with 30 amp. The cost of the parts between a 20 amp and a 30 amp really isn't that significant. Labor should be the same.
Currently Between RVs

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
^^^^ that electrician needs glasses. Outlet is clearly labled 125 volts.