cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

30 ft- one roof air sufficient?

maddawg46
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in the process of buying a 30 ft. Class A. It has one roof air conditioner. I think is a 1355 BTU. I haven't seen it. The owner lives in Arizona. He says it does ok when in the high 90s. He doesn't the HK ts wired for 2 air conditioners. Is it a mistake getting this? It's a pretty good deal and the exact floor plan we like.
2016 Newmar Bay Star 3124
Wife and 2 Yorky's
Pontiac Vibe GT as the toad
61 REPLIES 61

maddawg46
Explorer
Explorer
The deal is off. When I called the seller asking about whether there was a spot for or was wired for additional air he got real nasty. So I said he had to get that info for me. He hung up on me.
Everything was set, but sounds like it was not the RV for me. Sounds like something was not right in the head with this seller.
2016 Newmar Bay Star 3124
Wife and 2 Yorky's
Pontiac Vibe GT as the toad

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
maddawg46 wrote:
I'm in the process of buying a 30 ft. Class A. It has one roof air conditioner. I think is a 1355 BTU. I haven't seen it. The owner lives in Arizona. He says it does ok when in the high 90s. He doesn't the HK ts wired for 2 air conditioners. Is it a mistake getting this? It's a pretty good deal and the exact floor plan we like.

Good enough for cooling and especially if it doesn't have a slide out room, but would still investigate adding another to any coach, since the real problem lies with not having a backup.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

n3eqf
Explorer
Explorer
Believe it or not, it wasn't that many years ago that people actually lived in Florida without any air conditioning. Now we're not sure if one A/C is enough when "camping"! :W
Tom
2015 Thor Windsport 27K

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
booty51 wrote:
Ask for an allowance for a bigger ac unit in the deal. The owner is telling you it does good in 90 degree weather , but not telling you it does good in 100 degree weather. From what your post is saying. PM dougrainer ask him. He works on motor homes day in and day out find out what it takes to install a bigger unit or a second unit.

Even my Dp with two A/C units doesn't do all that good in 100 degree temps. So I fix that by not camping in 100 degree temps. But I live in California so no matter how hot it gets here, I can find 70 degrees in a few hour drive.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Godsey97
Explorer
Explorer
Simply put NO. We have a Vista 35F with 2 13.5's and it struggles in the heat of the day to stay tolerable. We resort to keeping the shades all pulled down, etc. It is dark like a tomb in there during the hottest part of the day and summer. If you had/have window awnings that will help but if you want to keep your windows open to have the light in, NO. One A/C will probably start the day OK and then start struggling around the noon hour and not catch back up until 1800 hours or so. I wish ours had 2 15's or at least a 15 for the main coach and the 13.5 for the back bedroom area.

booty51
Explorer
Explorer
Ask for an allowance for a bigger ac unit in the deal. The owner is telling you it does good in 90 degree weather , but not telling you it does good in 100 degree weather. From what your post is saying. PM dougrainer ask him. He works on motor homes day in and day out find out what it takes to install a bigger unit or a second unit.

Yankee_Clipper
Explorer
Explorer
No, I have a 34 foot coach and it takes two in the heat to stay comfortable.
Yankee Clipper
2014 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on Ford F53 6.8l V10
2014 Honda CRV 4 down toad/Roadmaster Falcon2 with EvenBrake
TireMinder TPMS,Tiger, the Little Big Man minidachshund,
Rosey the minidachshund resident Princess-in-Chief

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
To summarize, it depends:
- Shade vs no shade
- Can you close off a section to reduce cooling needs
- How humid is it
- Insulation of the rig

As someone else suggested, it would be possible to get a portable air/con unit that sits on the floor and vents out a window. We used a 12,000BTU unit on the boat. You could run an extension cord to the 15amp plug on the pedestal so you don't overload the 30amp outlet. Most of the time it probably wouldn't be needed.

If you are buying and planning to stay in Arizona, I would probably go for a rig with 2 air/con units built in. Temps above 110 are common in many areas of the state and even with some of the tricks listed a single unit may not be enough.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

racechaser
Explorer
Explorer
13,500 btu ac sounds small on a 31 footer.May get away with it in the shade.
2003 F-250 PSD with Hypertech Power Tuning
2010 Jayco Eagle
Twin Honda 2000's generators

racer99
Explorer
Explorer
we own a 30' fleetywood flair one air ducted, i had 15 yr 13.5 old unit replaced with new 15,000 unit 2 summers ago, we stay in Destin for 6 wks each year and even though the temps and humidity is high it does us well & the big difference is we don't have slides -Rich
pauperspride.blogspot.com

chloe_s_ranch
Explorer
Explorer
We owned a Winnebago Vista 27N for one year with one air and 30 amp service. Parked in the sun(and with dark paint) it was too warm for us.

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Before I bought, I rented a 29 foot class C in the summer. We went to Vegas and it was 112 out. That one unit was not even close to keeping up. But then again, I'm not sure two units could have kept up with that kind of heat.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Raloma
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 31ft class A with one air, Wish it had two. If temp gets above 90 one air doesn't keep up very well.

onecb
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 29 ft with two air conditioners and if the temperature get over 100 They have a hard time keeping it 72 inside. So I would say no to one if I have any idea of spending time in the south in summer. Tha is my opinion. Alvin
2007 Surf Side 29A Pressurepro tire pressure monitor System

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 1995 33' Bounder that will cool well with one 13,500 BTU, non-ducted, A/C in the summer heat of the SW. But we have dual pane windows, window awnings and a patio awning. So it is possible with one A/C but it needs every advantage. Those that say it won't work are clueless.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson