cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

35’ Pusher (short WB) vs 35’ Gas vs 35’ FRED?

CVD
Explorer
Explorer
I’m just starting to investigate replacing my current coach, a 1999 Freightliner XC/ISB DP. I like the 34 – 36 foot length; I can squeeze it into some state park sites. One key upgrade I’m looking for is a king size bed. My dilemma is the trade offs in a coach that length.

The DP’s have short wheel bases, with WB/Length ratios under 50 percent. Gas coaches have nice floor plans in that size, with .53 to .55 ratios, but I’ve gotten used to air suspension and a torquey engine that I can barely hear. FRED’s came in that length a couple years ago. I’ve not driven one. They seem like a good design for that length, but I haven’t seen one with a king bed and I doubt the spring suspension would compare to air suspension.

So, has anyone spent some time behind the wheel of a 35' DP, gas, and FRED coach and can compare the overall driving experiences? E.g. does the short WB on the DP make it's handling worse than a gas or Fred coach in this size?

When/if I start serious selling & shopping, I’d be looking at a 5 - 6 year old coach. Pusher examples would be Tiffin RED 33 or Winnebago Journey 34 (both 35’ DP’s with king bed options, but with WB/length ratios less than .50). Gas examples would be Winnebago Sightseer 33, Winnebago Adventurer 35, or a Tiffin Allegro 32SA. FRED would be Tiffin Allegro Bay (if I could find one with a King Bed).
Cliff

1999 Itasca 34V DP
2000 Jeep Wrangler
2014 Honda CRV
2 REPLIES 2

CVD
Explorer
Explorer
SCVJeff wrote:
what year Journey/ Meridian did you find a King?

Don't know exactly when the king bed became an option on the Journey 34; I believe it's been several years. I see a 2009 and 2011 right now on RV Trader that say "king bed":

http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2009-Winnebago-JOURNEY-34-119762812

http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2011-Winnebago-Journey-34Y-117946615

These 2 are good examples of what I'm looking at, and am concerned about (short DP wheelbase). Per the 2011 literature, the Journey 34Y is 35' long (420") on a 208" WB. I'm concerned about handling of this unit and am wondering if I'd be better off with a gas unit (with a 228" WB).
Cliff

1999 Itasca 34V DP
2000 Jeep Wrangler
2014 Honda CRV

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
what year Journey/ Meridian did you find a King?
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350