cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

460 or V10

applik
Explorer
Explorer
So hubby and I are looking at some older class C's since that's what we can afford right now. 96 - 01 years We would like to tow our 01 grand cherokee behind whatever we get. So do we need shorter or longer C? We live in northern AZ mountains and frequently travel to the mtns in Utah, CO, and, Idaho. Had a travel trailer but I just didn't fit on the dinette that well! So sold it. And hubby says no 8' wide trailers (ours was a 7) Boondocked most of the time. Only stayed in an RV park two nites. We are retired and 65+ but love to go on little jaunts for a week or so at a time. Never in a hurry just love to see the country.
I've seen some units have a 460 instead of the V10. Will either pull our cherokee? He's a pretty good mechanic and DIY man so we should be able to keep up with maintenance. So many things to consider and I don't know where to start looking. Floorplan isn't such a big deal as bed size. We only sleep in it. The rest of the time we're off jeepin.
Any input and info will be greatly appreciated.
36 REPLIES 36

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Vortec... Sure. Just be sure you get the right one. The Fords of the 1990's tended to use that big 460. The comparable 454 wasn't as common in Chevy. If the Chevy you look at is 460/7.4L, it's a good option. If it's a 350/5.7L the power is marginal. Chevy phased a 6.0L (that's about 365 but nobody refers to this engine by anything other than "Six Liter" or "6.0") into their chassis around 2000 and it's a very viable choice. All those Chevy engines are called Vortec. 6.0 or 7.4 is OK as far as I'm concerned. From 5.7L to 6.0L doesn't sound like much, but it's a whole different generation with a major difference in performance.
1. Floor Plan
2. Condition
3. Chassis
4. of course...Price
The finest engineering's a bust if the family can't work the floor plan.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

ugh
Explorer
Explorer
I had 460 in my 35 ft Class A 97 Pace Arrow. It did it's job well pulling my Civic across the Smokey mountains. Not so great on gas. V10 would get little better MPG and it mas more power.
---------------------------------
2001 F250 5.4 3.73
2015 Wildwood X-Lite 262BHXL

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Chevy will give you a much better ride and the The Class A on a Chevy Chassis I had was rock solid and pulled my Jeep to the North Rim and thru Flag with little hesitation.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

applik
Explorer
Explorer
How about the older Vortec? Just found a C with the chevy engine. I thought torque was better for pulling on hills, no? I'm guessing they are all gas hogs. Looking at a C since I think it will be easier to drive on mountain curves and has a higher ground clearance. I have seen a few older As but don't want to "rock like we're in a boat" while traveling.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
what does that Cherokee weigh? many/most cs of that cost and vintage will have a 3500 lb. receiver on it.
bumpy

WinMinnie02
Explorer
Explorer
My 13 year old Winnebago Class C has a Ford V10. Great engine and more than enough power.

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
The newer units will have the V-10, by all accounts it is a strong puller and gets reasonable gas mileage if driven sensibly. The 460 is an old design, not as emission friendly and has a big appetite for gas. Still, a lot of people like it for the brute torque.