cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

50 AMP and plugging in at home

Timothy2001
Explorer
Explorer
Although new to this, I strongly suspect that a coach that has 50 AMP service may not be able to run A/C in the Texas heat on an standard outdoor extension cord plugged into an exterior house outlet. I'll make the assumption the generator can handle but would prefer to run off the electricity from the house when here.

Do I need to install a new breaker at home that has the capacity to power the coach including the A/C units on a 39' coach?
2008 Itasca Meridian 39z
31 REPLIES 31

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Timothy2001 wrote:
Thanks very much for the quick responses, a bit more complicated than I thought. I will likely have a 50 AMP breaker installed in the house panel wtih an appropriate recepticle.
Yes very standard NEMA 14-50 connector, two pole 50 amp breaker, and 6/3 wire to connect. Slam dunk for any licensed electrician. Only thing that might run up the cost is pulling the wire depending on conditions.

http://www.myrv.us/electric/Pg/50amp_Service.htm

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
No,

It needs to be #6 wire, not #10.

Executive wrote:
50amp service uses a minimum of 10ga wire, depending on the length of the run. Hire a licensed electrician....Dennis
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

WAFlowers
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a 30A outlet in my garage and have no trouble running one AC unit. With care (not starting them simultaneously) I can run two. Or I can run one and the fridge.
Bill and Willemina Flowers
George, Sammy and Teddy (the dogpack)
2008 Tiffin Phaeton 40QSH
2005 Keystone Monata 3400rl (5/21/11 to 9/9/17)
(Was in a 2000 Coachmen Catalina Sport 220RK)

Timothy2001
Explorer
Explorer
mtofell1 wrote:
Getting a full electrical service at home is a really nice thing to do/have done. I love being able to use my RV to the fullest even in the driveway (hell, even the "doghouse" isn't so bad when DW sends me there :))

Next step is to be able to dump tanks at home. This was a real game changer for me. No more waiting in line heading out of the campground on Sunday. No more making the kids "hold it" until we get home.

So is this a 'hostile integration' into the plumbing that goes out to the street assuming city sewage and not septic?

Very appealing to me too.
2008 Itasca Meridian 39z

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Getting a full electrical service at home is a really nice thing to do/have done. I love being able to use my RV to the fullest even in the driveway (hell, even the "doghouse" isn't so bad when DW sends me there :))

Next step is to be able to dump tanks at home. This was a real game changer for me. No more waiting in line heading out of the campground on Sunday. No more making the kids "hold it" until we get home.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Timothy2001 wrote:
Thanks very much for the quick responses, a bit more complicated than I thought. I will likely have a 50 AMP breaker installed in the house panel wtih an appropriate recepticle.

This is the correct thing to do. You wonโ€™t regret it.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

js218
Explorer
Explorer
I own property in Nevada, Vermont and Pennsylvania all 3 have full hook ups all installed by licensed electricians.
2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
find a properly licensed electrician to do this for ya.
we ran a new wires to a box on the exterior wall of the house nearest the M/H parking spot.
It's on a circuit all by its self.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Timothy2001
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
Whoa Kimo Sabbe! It's a bit more complicated than simply replacing a breaker and receptacle. That is unless your home fire insurance is paid in full, you no longer like your house, and the insurance company won't find you at fault for frying all the wiring inside your box. Generally, 20amp service, (Tee shaped receptacle) uses 12 ga wire, 15amp service (Double I shaped receptacle) uses 14 ga wire. 50amp service uses a minimum of 10ga wire, depending on the length of the run. Simply changing out the breaker and receptacle will allow you to power up you A/C units for a bit as your breaker will not trip. However, your house wiring will then become a substitute for your breaker. Once the wiring gets too hot, it will melt and burn through if you're lucky. If you're not so lucky, it'll simply start a fire and burn your house down. Hire a licensed electrician....Dennis

LOVE THIS! I learned a long time ago what I am capable of, what I am not capable of and what is just plain stupid to attempt and this falls under the later.

Anyone who was in the Navy remembers, "The Deadly Shipmate" and I prefer not to mess with electricity at sea or on land unless it's a simple light switch or house outlet.
2008 Itasca Meridian 39z

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
We have 50amp in our FW and plug in to our 30amp in our house using a 50 - 30 pigtail. We can run only one of our AC's, but one is better than none when needed.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Forget a 20A plug. You might get by on 30A. You'll have no restrictions with 50A.

50A is a 120/240V circuit and RVers use it as 2 50A 120V circuits since it's a very rare RV that 240V appliances. The cons are installation cost and heaver cords and the pros are no RV power limitations.

What is the length of your cords? At my sons house I run 105' of 50A without significant voltage drop.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Whoa Kimo Sabbe! It's a bit more complicated than simply replacing a breaker and receptacle. That is unless your home fire insurance is paid in full, you no longer like your house, and the insurance company won't find you at fault for frying all the wiring inside your box. Generally, 20amp service, (Tee shaped receptacle) uses 12 ga wire, 15amp service (Double I shaped receptacle) uses 14 ga wire. 50amp service uses a minimum of 10ga wire, depending on the length of the run. Simply changing out the breaker and receptacle will allow you to power up you A/C units for a bit as your breaker will not trip. However, your house wiring will then become a substitute for your breaker. Once the wiring gets too hot, it will melt and burn through if you're lucky. If you're not so lucky, it'll simply start a fire and burn your house down. Hire a licensed electrician....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I can run one 15k A/C on a 20 amp outlet as long as I run nothing else. But I would not do it on a long extension cord. On 30 amp you can easily run a 15k A/C plus a few other lower current things. On 50 amp you can run all you want.

Make sure whoever installs the new outlet understand how it should be done.

http://www.myrv.us/electric/

Timothy2001 wrote:

*** And don't forget the proper gauge wire.***
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Timothy2001
Explorer
Explorer
2008 Itasca Meridian 39z