cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5500 kodiak brake questions

FRED555
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2008 road warrior with 5500 Kodiak chassis. Can someone answer the following questions please.

1. The red light below the radio with brake and wrench comes on periodically and then goes off with engine cycle on/off. Is this a problem? What is causing it?

2. The "something" makes lots of noise when I step on the brakes. Do you know makes the buzzing sound?

3. I have no brake lights on RV?

4. My RV does not seem to have the blue brake controller sticking out of harness?

Thanks

Pat
2004 DODGE DUALLY DIESEL
19 REPLIES 19

ronfisherman
FRED555 wrote:
ronfisherman wrote:
The dark blue wire is correct wire for output to trailer brakes. Light blue wire is to activate the brake controller. Hooking to the brake pedal switch will cause it to fail. You will find many threads on the internet about chimes going off in MDT's and how to fix it.

If we have to use the light blue wire in the harness on the frame rail where do I find it in the cab? It must somehow get to the fuse panel and eventually to the same wire from the brake pedal?

Very Frustrated.

Thanks,

A piece to 18 gauge wire about 15' long will make the connection. Run it threw hole in firewall just below the brake master cylinder.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

FRED555
Explorer
Explorer
ronfisherman wrote:
The dark blue wire is correct wire for output to trailer brakes. Light blue wire is to activate the brake controller. Hooking to the brake pedal switch will cause it to fail. You will find many threads on the internet about chimes going off in MDT's and how to fix it.

If we have to use the light blue wire in the harness on the frame rail where do I find it in the cab? It must somehow get to the fuse panel and eventually to the same wire from the brake pedal?

Very Frustrated.

Thanks,
2004 DODGE DUALLY DIESEL

FRED555
Explorer
Explorer
2004 DODGE DUALLY DIESEL

ronfisherman

FRED555
Explorer
Explorer
I used the blue wire in the harness for signal to trailer I had to get brake activation signal to the brake controller and used the out wire from the brake switch. Should not effect switch.
2004 DODGE DUALLY DIESEL

ronfisherman
Please do not wire to the Brake Pedal Switch. See my post at beginning of this thread. Find the light blue wire on inside of passenger side frame rail.
Wiring to the brake pedal switch will cause switch to fail.

FRED555
Explorer
Explorer
Was working on installing brake controller...what a pain...anyone have color code diagram of wires going to brake pedal switch? I think white wire is brake on signal but not sure.
2004 DODGE DUALLY DIESEL

FRED555
Explorer
Explorer
ronfisherman wrote:
FRED555 wrote:
Also anyone found any place to get OEM or even non OEM carper and floor mats for cab?

Checkout mats for a Savanna/Express Van.

what year van fits 2008 Kodiak c5500?
2004 DODGE DUALLY DIESEL

ronfisherman
FRED555 wrote:
Also anyone found any place to get OEM or even non OEM carper and floor mats for cab?

Checkout mats for a Savanna/Express Van.

ronfisherman
FRED555 wrote:
Took apart the plastic switch on brake light and emery clothes three contactors inside. This fixed the brake light and the annoying rattle when stepping on brakes.

Can anyone described the exact location of the other part that lights idiot light below radio? I cannot seem to find it. Also what is the idiot light supposed to warning of?

Went to take RV to storage and and stalled out a light. Would not restart. Beware the Duramax MUST have frequent fuel filter changes. Fuel filter cost $30 tow out of middle of road cost $100. I for one will do every oil change now.

The light can come on from several locations.
1. Brake pedal switch.
2. Hydro Boost flow switch. Located under brake master cylinder.
3. Hydro Boost motor. Also under brake master cylinder.
4. Low brake fluid level. On side of master cylinder.
Here is a drawing of the electrical circuit. It is small. Hope you can read it. You need to click on drawing to get it bigger.

FRED555
Explorer
Explorer
2004 DODGE DUALLY DIESEL

FRED555
Explorer
Explorer
Took apart the plastic switch on brake light and emery clothes three contactors inside. This fixed the brake light and the annoying rattle when stepping on brakes.

Can anyone described the exact location of the other part that lights idiot light below radio? I cannot seem to find it. Also what is the idiot light supposed to warning of?

Went to take RV to storage and and stalled out a light. Would not restart. Beware the Duramax MUST have frequent fuel filter changes. Fuel filter cost $30 tow out of middle of road cost $100. I for one will do every oil change now.
2004 DODGE DUALLY DIESEL

dredger19
Explorer
Explorer
The brake and wrench light will come on at start up to check the system .If the light stays on its the part on the master cylinder. Bill

ronfisherman
Most common is the number I gave you. The one on master cylinder is flow switch for Hydro Boost. Either one can cause light to come on.