cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

8.1 workhorse 4L85-E Downshifting problem

Desertzuki
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, anyone have a problem with auto downshift from overdrive? My rig will over rev to between 4-5 grand before shifting. Any ideas???
7 REPLIES 7

mayo30
Explorer
Explorer
Desertzuki wrote:
Just changed 3000, ago had codes check and they said no problem
2004 Trail-lite 60,000.

What fluid did they use,some off the shelf stuff??

othertonka
Explorer
Explorer
When I am anticipating a downshift from overdrive to 4th,or to Drive, I just manually downshift so I am in control of the shift and don't get that RPM burst that you are referring to. Then I know overdrive is locked out.
Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Brother had this shop in his phone book.
Superior Transmission
Sounds like a shifting coil could be bad in valve body. It should throw a code.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Desertzuki
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure how to explain. When the shift happens it's like you were to shift from 4th to 2nd for a count of 3 to 5 then up to 3rd, instead of going from 4th to 3rd. The shop that checked it was a RV Repair place, they said they had all the stuff to check codes but who knows. I wouldn't trust any dealers around here they seem to know less then the RV place. I'm in NM, only 45 miles from El Paso TX. Any good guys down here?

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
Is it just slow in shifting? Meaning when you step on it, does TC unlock, engine increase RPM and then downshift?

The 4L85e has a continuously variable lock up TC. The pressure valve is pulse width modulated, so it allows the TC to slip, depending on the need for power. At normal cruise, the clutch pressure varies from about 50% to about 70% depending on the load. As you lean into the gas, it will allow clutch slip to raise the engine RPM, so you gain some power. GM had 2 goals in mind when they designed it. The first was to completely eliminate any feel of the TC locking up. The second was to be able to allow slip instead of downshifting. The TC clutch is patented, as it is porous so allow the fluid to keep it cool so it doesn't burn up, as it slips. (replacement TC must be bought from GM, otherwise they will burn up)

So now you know how it is supposed to work, you will understand it is difficult for us to judge from our armchairs as to what is bad, compared to how it is designed. I don't know the ECM well enough on that year to know at what point does one determine it is broke. I do know the trans control is really sophisticated, in that it monitors engine RPM, input shaft speed, and output shaft speed. Pump pressure is variable throughout the whole trans, as they monitor slip in every gear to determine wear. They then compensate for wear with pump pressure. So when the slip it too great, it increases pump pressure. This info is stored in the ECM, and is continually updated. My thinking is that with the level of monitoring that the ECM is doing, it should throw a code if something is wrong - if there is too much slip anywhere in the trans. Some codes are silent codes, meaning they don't turn on the check engine light, but the dealer would see it, if things are getting out of hand. Were the codes checked by a dealer or were they checked by John Doe's Auto Parts?
IRV2

Desertzuki
Explorer
Explorer
Just changed 3000, ago had codes check and they said no problem
2004 Trail-lite 60,000.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
When was the fluid changed?
How many miles are on the rig?
Have you checked for any codes? Engine check light will not always come on for minor faults.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker