cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

81 or 95?

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Heading to Fla panhandle (Santa Rosa) from central MD in a few weeks, finalizing the route. Have taken 95 to Eastern Fla and other points North several times. 95 for me is a bit of a nightmare to start the trip as the begining gets me into DC, beltway etc. LOTS of traffic and can be some white knuckle driving. I like to try and relax on my trips. Then the section of 95 in the norther partn is just a plain piece of bad road. Tank traps galore. But it's level. It does add less than an hour to the trip. 81 is easier to access for me, less stressful and is a shorter distance. But it has a lot of OTR trucks and 50% of that journey is through some decent mountains which equals worse MPG. I actually prefer 81, but the mountains can be laborious after while. Anyone have a preferance or a dynamic I am not seeing?

Thanks
2013 ACE 29.2
19 REPLIES 19

ct1964ups
Explorer
Explorer
Effy wrote:
Heading to Fla panhandle (Santa Rosa) from central MD in a few weeks, finalizing the route. Have taken 95 to Eastern Fla and other points North several times. 95 for me is a bit of a nightmare to start the trip as the begining gets me into DC, beltway etc. LOTS of traffic and can be some white knuckle driving. I like to try and relax on my trips. Then the section of 95 in the norther partn is just a plain piece of bad road. Tank traps galore. But it's level. It does add less than an hour to the trip. 81 is easier to access for me, less stressful and is a shorter distance. But it has a lot of OTR trucks and 50% of that journey is through some decent mountains which equals worse MPG. I actually prefer 81, but the mountains can be laborious after while. Anyone have a preferance or a dynamic I am not seeing?
Thanks

Tough call,but last year we were in Santa Rosa and were heading to Ct....
so I decided to come up 331 thru Alabama..to I-65 in Momtgomery ...up past Birmingham on 65 to Chattannoga....then 40 to 81 and up to Ct....it was a great ride and saved about 300 miles...If I was heading back there I would go the same way...also,quite a choice of campgrounds as you go...Chuck
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Seville on a Freightliner/2015 Granite Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 American Tradition Merlot>>SOLD
Keep The Rubber On The Road
GO NOLES

Can-AmDuo
Explorer
Explorer
I too live in central MD and do not take the DC beltway any more. If I want to access 95 south I take 15 through Point of Rocks, Leesburg, Warrenton then 17 to Fredericksburg. To access 81 I take 340 and 7 to Winchester VA. The difference in mpg on 81 is more than offset by the ease of driving. I am all for the most enjoyable trip I can have. Personally I prefer 81.

Whatever you decide may you have a great journey.
Safe travels, Brenda
Life is partly what we make it, and partly what it is made by the friends we choose.

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:
Don't forget, the part of I-81 between I-64 and Bristol has one of the highest accident rates in the country as a consequence of too many vehicles and too little pavement.

I think if I took 81 I would cut down through Charlotte via 77 to 85 instead of skirting out to Chatanooga.
2013 ACE 29.2

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
All my roads go thru Gatlinburg TN Smoky Mtns no matter where we go - Looks like it is I81 for me...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Don't forget, the part of I-81 between I-64 and Bristol has one of the highest accident rates in the country as a consequence of too many vehicles and too little pavement.