cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

89 Ford E 350 fuel problems

Garry_Bujak
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1989 Ford Jamboree E350 26 foot with a 460 motor having fuel problems three times now the first time it ran for about 70 miles and fuel failed I have so far replace the ICM ignition control module (costly)and fuel filter I can hear the pump running. but engine runs out of gas. In cooler weather it didn't take long for it to start back up and run great for a few more miles then failure again as the days have warmed the failure resulted faster
Thinking it was probably the fuel pumps I began reading here on rv.net and it may be the fuel pump relay switches are they more susceptible to failure on the ambient temperature my unit has two fuel pumps one inside the tank as a primer pump for the high pressure pump that's mounted on the frame just below driver seat my first question is, will there be two relay fuel pump relay switches or one? I know there are several people out there that have these units the Ford 460 is very popular has anyone ever experienced anything like this I need help before I start replacing each pump & relay switch one by one till I find the problem. This has been a very aggravating adventure. Our rv only has 39k miles an is in excellent condition for an 89 model.
23 REPLIES 23

Garry_Bujak
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Gary for your input about the quarter of a tank I have always kept at 3/4 or above for that reason I know the generator picks up down down to about a quarter tank but I've kept it no lower than half a tank., new pump going in tonight and new relay switch

Garry_Bujak
Explorer
Explorer
What's function does the push button on left side of steering column perform marked start assistance. I assume it just connects the coach battery to the starting system for added voltage. Is that correct ?

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
What is the level of fuel in the tank? If it is below i/4 then that will cause the pump to heat up and fail. It's the fuel in the tank that cools it. If that's the answer, your fuel pump still needs to be replaced. The overheating is simply the warning before total failure.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

Garry_Bujak
Explorer
Explorer
I really appreciate the tips & advice. But can anyone recall any failures of the pumps due to heat. The problem I'm having has something to do with heat. If the days are cold it will continue running for many miles 100+ but as the days warm the faster it fails faster.
When it coils down after failing it will start back up & run great but not for long it's a puzzle to me. Changing out pump an relay switch tonight. Then go for a drive tomorrow. It will be in the 70s so shouldn't take long to know if problem was one of those 2 things. One more question .......I think there is only 1 relay switch for both pumps ...is that correct ?

Little_Outpost
Explorer
Explorer
Garry, it wasn't until the 1990's that car manufacturers began using fuel system components that resisted the corrosive effects E10 gasoline had on older car fuel lines, etc. I suffered through two older cars until learning of this issue. Fuel starvation was the problem just like clogged arteries are to man. I suggest you look into replacing the old fuel lines and other pieces of the fuel system that may have signs of clogging.
Rick
2010 Coachmen Leprechaun 318DS
Ford 6.8L V-10

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
You have switched out the fuel filter, right?

I think folks tend to over-fix this problem. If it's not the filter...it's going to be the pump. '89? Maybe rust in the tank has clogged up the pump. Any chance you have run out some fuel into a jug and looked at it? If you can..drain some out and let it sit for a day..maybe run it thru a coffee filter.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

jeffengle
Explorer
Explorer
check the fuel pressure when it fails. instead of guessing. hook up a pressure gauge & then drive it.

Travelin2
Explorer
Explorer
Gary, I'm with you. There is nothing major wrong with that engine. Probably something to do with extended inactivity during non-use. It could be electrical(ECM), mechanical(fuel pump failure) or chemical(fuel varnishing due to extended inactivity)

While there are guys on this forum that can give you very good advice about your symptoms, you should also run the description of your problem by the folks on some of the many Ford specific sites. I,m sure there are others that have experienced your woes. Have a look here for starters...http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/
John & Gloria
South West, Florida
2009 Leisure Travel Serenity

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
The fuel pump and ECM relays are located by the battery.
One has a green connector, the other a brown connector.
These relays are susceptible to getting water in them.
Unplug the relays and look for corroded terminals.
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY