cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

95 flair 25'

applik
Explorer
Explorer
So found a shortie with a 454. Looks to be in beautiful condition but won't know for sure til I see it tomorrow. It's a 4.5 hour drive one way but thought I'd see if it's workable. A question for you guys who have had one that short. Do they handle ok on back hiways? You know bumps, dips, and tilted hiways! Any issues I need to be aware of and what to look out for?
I wanted a short C but haven't found one yet so I'm just keeping my options open. Also want to pull a 4K lb jeep behind.
8 REPLIES 8

applik
Explorer
Explorer
Well, we didn't go for it. It sat for 11 years and never moved or started. Oh My! The guy went to home depot and bought some "roof coating" and did the whole roof cause it had a "small leak" around a vent. But he said the roof was totally black before he put the coating on. Never had anything done to it maintenance wise. So we passed. But we're still looking. 😉

applik
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys for all the great info. Going tomorrow to look at it and test it all out. I'll let you know if we join the group! Thanks again. If we do get it I'll be looking for help on getting the jeep set up for towing.

cj7365
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 27' 95 Brave, and I flat tow my Jeep behind it, runs like a champ, with 27' I can get into any National forest campsite.

I also have the 454 TPI, and has plenty of power for what I use it for. Weekend trips, and usually a 2 weeker in the summer

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Chances are that they used the 'lighter' GVWR on that chassis.

With Fords the motorhome GVWR from 1990 - 1997 was the 17,000 pounds that I have. With GMC, if I had bought my30' Bounder 14,250 pound motorhome on a GMC chassis, it would have come with a lighter weight GVWR chassis, 15,000 I think. The GM motorhomes are about 500 pounds lighter than the Fords.

You are right, there is a 3,500 pound tow limit on all the Fleetwood motorhomes before around 1999, when Ford stepped up to the 18,000 GVWR chassis, and GM also increased their GVWR around the same time. Fleetwood was losing customers who wanted to tow 5,000 pounds, and they finally increased their tow limits.

Mainly it has to do with frame extensions. Mine is only about 18" long, and I have a 190" wheelbase. However the 38' Bounder has the same factory 190" wheelbase and a 'tag' axle, with electric brakes, 3,500 pound weight rating, and about 10 feet of frame extension. It would be scary to tow something 7,500 pounds with all that frame extension with a 38' motorhome, but with your shorter frame, it would be no problem. So Fleetwood did not want to have say a 5,000 pound hitch rating on the RV's with a short frame extension (or non like a 25' class A would have) and then rate the ones with a long extension for 3,500 pounds, so all the brochures say 3,500 pounds, simple for them, bad for those who want to tow something heavier.

I would not worry much about towing 4,000 pounds with the factory hitch. It is way out of warranty anyway. The factory hitch is strong, and probably mounted directly to the GM chassis, not a welded on frame extension.

I toured the Riverside CA Fleetwood factory twice in 1996, before ordering my 1997 Bounder. It was interesting to see the frame extension process, how they build the floors, walls, roof system, laminate it all together, and install all the cabinets, rooftop A/C, and such. They push all the new RV's around the production floor with tow dolly and a golf cart motor attached to it, plugged into the trailer hitch. This is why all Fleetwoods of the time had a trailer hitch, it was what was used to move them from the frame department to the paint booth. Then it was driven out of the paint booth to the water test area.

What I would be looking carefully at is the roof. If it is original, pass on this RV unless it was garaged, and the roof still looks 'good'. Chances are that the roofing material was replaced, or at least coated. I had to coat my EPDM roof and used a paint on style coating.

IF the insides look leak free (no stains on the ceilings) then it is a keeper. You will want to coat the roof sooner than later, so that you do not need to replace the roof. It took about 8 gallons of this product to give a good thick coating on my roof.

http://www.epdmcoatings.com/videos_play.php?vid=25

If you can paint your room, you can paint this stuff on the roof. It is that simple.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

magik235
Explorer
Explorer
My 25' Damon Challenger handles great. I love it. Check out the link below for details.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/26989746/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1

applik
Explorer
Explorer
I tried to find some specs on a 95, but no luck. I could only find a brochure for a 2000 and have no clue what has changed in the specs. We could always find a "little" toad to run around in. That short we wouldn't need a toad except to off road.
Thanks for the info though.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Double check the towing capacity. I believe it's rated at 3500...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2002 25Y Flair, it was a good RV, cant say much about the 95 since it was GM chassis and mine was a Workhorse chassis with the 8.1 Vortec, but it drove nice, it has air bags in front which helps it ride smoother in front than most bigger ones, I sort of miss it, could park almost anywhere but was still roomy for a shorty, my current RV is a Bounder 32 foot with 2 slides, could not go back to that size since I am spoiled but I sure had good times in my 25Y Flair..

But to your question it drives as smooth as any other RV, but sometimes you do have to do improvements such as new better air bags in front and softer shocks to help it out.