cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

97 eagle

big_cuda
Explorer
Explorer
while crawling around under the eagle today greasing it up. found major problem. the suporting rail fram that all the basment door frames attach to is rotted out from the rear up half way. i do some car resto but havent tackeled a motor home yet any inputs ? it looks like i have to take all basement doors of- door frames and then start cutting and welding ?

thanks
5 REPLIES 5

larry_cad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Welcome to the wonderful world of stupid RV engineering! In a misguided effort to seal up the bottom of the coach, Fleetwood decided to cover the steel framework with a sheet of aluminum. As first year engineers know, steel and aluminum don't play well together and the aluminum sheet corrodes away, leaving the steel frame exposed to the elements and the reaction of all American Coach motorhomes with that design is that the steel framework rusts away. The worst spots typically are the compartments immediately in front of the rear wheels but all of the compartments suffer the same fate.

One of the most difficult problems is caused by the actual construction of the walls and floors. There is a sandwich of a 1/8" plastic layer, a layer of plywood, and a foam core. There are also steel re-enforcing bars buried in the foam which also rot away. I have never been able to find out what proceedure AC used to make the floors and walls, and also haven't figured out a good replacement structure.

The suggestion to join the Yahoo AC group is a good one. There are several on there who have done this repair and have offered suggestions. Good luck.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

FormerBoater
Explorer
Explorer
Having a hard time visualizing where the "rotted out" portion actually is.

If it is the metal piece that the pantograph cargo doors and gas struts attach to, maybe you could buy the components themselves from American Coach?

If it is the frame itself (bottom of the cargo bays), that is another situation which you could get good input from the American Coach Group referenced above.
Dave
1998 American Eagle 40EVS

Laman
Explorer
Explorer
My advice would be to join the American Coach group over on Yahoo. There have been several discussions about that very issue and some good pictures on the fixes done. Good luck with your repairs but it sounds like you have the skills to do it.
1998 American Eagle 40' EVS, 2011 Ford Edge, Falcon 2 tow bar
DW and 2 DD's

Valkyriebush
Explorer
Explorer
That sucks, sorry to hear that. I wonder if the seller knew?
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

Clay1969
Explorer
Explorer
big cuda wrote:
while crawling around under the eagle today greasing it up. found major problem. the suporting rail fram that all the basment door frames attach to is rotted out from the rear up half way. i do some car resto but havent tackeled a motor home yet any inputs ? it looks like i have to take all basement doors of- door frames and then start cutting and welding ?

thanks

I have welded some so maybe I can help but I need pictures.
2007 Silverado Classic 2500HD 4x4 6.0 5spd manual
2014 Puma 25RS