cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

99 Dutch Star 35' good or bad

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking at a 99 Dutch Star 35' coach that looks very nice from the pictures. They are way over price according to NADA but it looks really good from pictures. The guy says it is as new condition always garaged. How much over NADA should one spend on a coach in exceptional condition? This from the add.

1999 35' Class A Motorhome, Dutch Star by Newmar, Model 3565 $46, 500.00
8.3-liter Cummins Diesel on a Spartan Chassis
3060 Series Allison automatic transmission, 62,000 original miles, second owner
7500 KW Onan Diesel Generator
Custom ordered paint by precision RV when coach manufactured, according to owner specs
Invis-shield front protector
Driver door
Rear back up camera
HWH Automatic Leveling Jacks
Dining table w/four chairs
Microwave/convection oven
Fantastic Fan with Rain Sensor in kitchen
Driver side slide; kitchen and sofa sleeper living room with slide out cover
Passenger side awning
Tinted, safety glass windows
Satellite dish
Front and rear TV's
DVD & CD players
Split bath with shower skylight
Day & Night Shades
Rear Queen bed
Alcoa aluminum wheels
Six new Michelin Tires
Docking lights
Security lights
One piece Rubber Roof with two heat pump air conditioners
Forced Air Furnace
Heated basement storage compartments
Two new 12 volt start batteries and four new 6 volt coach batteries
2005 34' Expedition Cat C7 Allison 3000
21 REPLIES 21

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
My 2 big questions irregardless of price would be stored inside or outside and mileage.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks these thoughts were the same as mine it is a 45 minute drive to go see it and I am trying to decide if I want to make the trip. I really want something a little newer and just slightly shorter but I could work with a 35'er. There is not much available in my area right now I have to keep telling myself I am not in a hurry. This one has the engine and transmission I would prefer but I agree it is over priced by at least 10k.

The guy says he is selling it for his mother-in-law the father in-law passed and she is 85 and can't drive it. I don't really like low balling a widow but if it is nice I might want to buy it but I am not willing to pay more than the correct value.
2005 34' Expedition Cat C7 Allison 3000

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Considering you're looking at a coach that is 20 years old all the stuff the owner listed as installed or options has a minor aspect concerning potential value. You need to look deeper into maintenance. Yearly mileage is just over 3000 miles and there is reoccurring maintenance that is both mileage or time based, which ever happens first. For example going my mileage alone the coach might be on it's sixth oil change and second set of tires but by time the replacements or changes should be much more numerous.

For the price the owner has listed if they don't have ever receipt for anything that was ever performed, changed or touched I wouldn't even consider making a counter offer. There are nine 1998-2000 Dutch Stars with 75,000 miles or less listed on RV Trader with an average price of $29K and a max listed price of $39K so the seller is significantly over priced.

What also turns me away is any time someone lists a coach as a "Dutch Star by Newmar". My first impression when the coach is described as such the seller may not be the owner. Would you ever described you daily driver or grocery getter as an "Accord by Honda" or an "F150 by Ford"? Or maybe it's just me.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't confuse maintenance items with updates. This is a 19 year old coach and it should have had batteries and tires replaced at least twice. This is not something that would increase the value of the RV but rather be things that would not decrease its value.
Satellite dish? That means nothing as there are many versions and some are completely worthless.
Only 2 A/C units? That sounds bad on a 36' coach if you plan to travel anywhere other than AK during late Spring to early Fall.
Front and Rear TV's? For a '99, that should read updated flat screen digital TV's with the sizes of each. If they are still the old analog TV's, you are going to have to spend some money to make watching any kind of TV possible.
I don't see an inverter listed and that's a requirement (IMHO) for anyone hoping to do anything other than moving from one RV resort to another.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
One piece rubber roof :h
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would not put much stock in NADA as 1) they don't have enough data for an accurate estimate and 2) NADA are made up figures anyway.
That price isn't that bad. You are showing close to $4500 in new tires and batteries. If the condition is good I would think it would be a good starter coach. Dutch Star was a better built coach.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
way over priced. my research came up with 29K