Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A solid electrical system troubleshooting document

edwardnjen
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings Everyone,

My wife and I bought a 1998 Damon Challenger, and we're pretty happy with it - but there are some issues.

One of these issues is that when plugged into shore power, all is well - but when unplugged there is NO power from the batteries (known good, recently replaced/tested). The second issue is that, when the generator is on, the A/C runs, but still no DC power to the lights or appliances.

We have a Magnatek (Parallax?) 7345 Power Center that appears to show normal operation.

I'm no electrician, and while there are tons of issues we have found great info on - I'm wondering...

A) Anyone have any ideas on what to check for these issues,
B) Is there already a comprehensive yet fairly generic electrical troubleshooting doc out there for RV's?

Any ideas, references or other input from the board would be greatly appreciated!

Best Regards,

Edward & Jen
Somewhere in Florida
10 REPLIES 10

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
Since you are new to RVing I will fill y ou in on a couple t hings that haven'tbeen covered yet. Your regular outlets will not have power when you are only using the 12V portion. It would take an inverter to change the 12V to 110V. Those usually are only on upper end MHs. Convertors will charge your 12V batteries when plugged in to 110 V. The only 12V you will find easily from the batteries is the lights in the MH. furnace fans, refrig. controls, water heater control, exhaust fan over stove and some other items will work from the 12V. Thinking of my MH I can't think of any 12V outlets that are handy for use except the cigarette lighter type on the dash, even though many things work off of the 12V.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

MrWizard
some model magteks have a relay that switches between battery power and converter power
also there is a main charging fuse and a main power fuse in the converter fuse panel

check the power at those fuses
and look for a battery disconnect switch, used while the RV is in storage to prevent battery drain
the switch is usually near the entry door
or
near the drivers seat 'console or overhead'
the switch controls a latching relay used to 'connect/disconnect' the house batteries
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
My expired Parallx 55 amp had two 30 amp fuses for reverse polarity protection. If these are blown they would keep battery voltage from the 12v distribution panel. Mine we located on the right side of 12v fuse panel.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Measure the voltage at the battery.

Measure the voltage after the fuse (or circuit breaker) in the battery compartment.

Measure the voltage where the cables attach to the converter.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

CT_WANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I know on my MH The converter will supply DC Power even if the batteries are disconnected. So on mine, I would check to see if the AC to Converter is turned on. This would give me DC power while plugged in. Next I would check out the DC disconnect controls, switch and solenoid. IMHO, you would have to have a major problem to blow the main battery fuse. Do you have light, water pump, refrigerator(RV unit not house type) in the RV? They run on DC. This should get you started to find your problem.

OnaQuest
Explorer
Explorer
You may have two separate problems, but one of them seems to be a tripped breaker on the generator.

Your generator is probably an ONAN 5000 or 5500. Look on the back end panel for two circuit breakers. Make sure both are on. Turn them OFF and then back ON.

The No DC power when unplugged is probably the disconnect switch (located near the entry door) has been turned off.

There are also some DC circuit breakers or large fuses located near the batteries that may be blown.

gatorcq
Explorer
Explorer
Also called battery disconnect switch.
Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 2015 Ford F150 XLT
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600 Watts, Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar
800 Lithium Battery
DaGirslRV Blog

sailor_lou
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have a master power switch and is it on? Most RV's have a switch near the door that picks up a solenoid that provides 12 VDC power to the coach. If it is on, you may have a problem with either the wall switch or the solenoid. Good luck.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

MiPaJacks
Explorer
Explorer
Check your 12 volt fuses. Check battery hook up.
It shouldn't be hard to find the fault.

roam1
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like batteries are not connected so 12 v stuff only works when plugged in and charger/converter is supplying 12 volts