cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accident On I 95 Nov 30

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
We were staying in New Smyrna Beach Fl and tried to go with friends to St Augustine for something different Saturday Nov 30. I had been to the Daytona Car Show earlier and at the approx 258 MM on 95 at 1:40 a fire on the N bound side erupted with a lot of black smoke but I could'nt see across. I have a CB and a truck driver told me he thought it was a car. After 1.5 hr sitting in traffic N bound to get to St Augustine, 2 1/2 hrs after the accident we passed the scene. It was a tandem axle Tiffin Allegro, burned from the front to just over the tandems. It is very sad and I send prayers to the family.
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2013-12-01/news/os-fiery-rv-crash-20131201_1_single-vehicle-crash-the-rv-fhp
13 REPLIES 13

woodfoot
Explorer
Explorer
You must gain control by actually accelerating, then slowing down without using the brakes. You may have lost more than a tire (Brake hose, ABS sensor, or anything that was connected to the backing plate).

ct1964ups
Explorer
Explorer
J-Rooster wrote:
Pirate wrote:
Impeyan wrote:
Accidents like that make me thankful I have added a steer-safe product on my motorhome.

Thanks for sharing and prayers to the family of those involved.

Do these devices really help in a blowout or are they just nice to have in the wind or when being passed?
Steer safe or not what really helps when you have a tire separation is not too step on your brakes hard! Hard braking during tire failure causes your vehicle too go out of control! I learned this when I first started driving at a UPS Truck Driving School. We not only learned this in the class room, but got to experience this out on one of there accident courses. They actually put us in these situations so we would know what to do. I'm also sorry for the family what a terrible thing to happen during the Holiday Season. What brand of tire was on that coach, what was the DOT Stamp and what condition were the tires in?

J-Rooster
was that a tractor trailer UPS school or at Liberty's emergency driving class ?....Chuck
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Seville on a Freightliner/2015 Granite Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 American Tradition Merlot>>SOLD
Keep The Rubber On The Road
GO NOLES

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
J-Rooster wrote:
Pirate wrote:
Impeyan wrote:
Accidents like that make me thankful I have added a steer-safe product on my motorhome.

Do these devices really help in a blowout or are they just nice to have in the wind or when being passed?
Steer safe or not what really helps when you have a tire separation is not too step on your brakes hard! Hard braking during tire failure causes your vehicle too go out of control! I learned this when I first started driving at a UPS Truck Driving School. We not only learned this in the class room, but got to experience this out on one of there accident courses. They actually put us in these situations so we would know what to do. I'm also sorry for the family what a terrible thing to happen during the Holiday Season.

X-2... And yes, Steer Safe does really help. Wish I would have have it the night I had a steer tire go on a Cab-over tractor trailer. My life sure passed before me real fast. Almost ended up in the highway median. Was standing up in the cab trying to hold it straight. Went from right lane to left lane like right now!!! 80,000 lbs and no power steering but we kept it upright and on my side of I-95 southbound in Georgia. Ruined the wheel and some other cosmetic stuff including the front bumper.
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I cannot answer any questions on tires as we went by after dark.Front end was completely burned, just the frame left.You can't say what will happen when a steering tire blows. Saw a cabover Freightliner blow one on I 40 at El Reno. He did a U turn on I 40, ended up on the E bnd berm like he had parked it there and right in fron of an OK State Policeman too. Scattered mud for 50 yards down the highway.

Crazy_Ray
Explorer
Explorer
Pirate, Steer Safe works when you have a blow out. Google them. Read and learn. JMO
RET ARMY 1980,"Tiny" furkid, Class A, 2007 Bounder 35E, Ford V10 w/Steer Safe, 4 6V CROWN,GC235,525W Solar Kyocera, TriStar 45 Controller,Tri-Metric 2020,Yamaha 2400, TOW CRV. Ready Brake. "Living Our Dream" NASCAR #11-18-19-20- LOVE CO,NM,AZ

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Pirate wrote:
Impeyan wrote:

Steer safe or not what really helps when you have a tire separation is not too step on your brakes hard! Hard braking during tire failure causes your vehicle too go out of control! I learned this when I first started driving at a UPS Truck Driving School. We not only learned this in the class room, but got to experience this out on one of there accident courses. They actually put us in these situations so we would know what to do. I'm also sorry for the family what a terrible thing to happen during the Holiday Season. What brand of tire was on that coach, what was the DOT Stamp and what condition were the tires in?

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
Burned from the front all the way back to the tandems......had to have been a gasser then!
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
Thats really sad. Middleburg isn't in the Panhandle though. Its 20 miles south of Jacksonville. He wasn't far from home.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
Impeyan wrote:

Impeyan
Explorer
Explorer

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
What to do when a blow out happens
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am

Mike_M2
Explorer
Explorer
Sad....
Mike M2
Thor Infinity 33SL

mdamerell
Explorer
Explorer
Clicky
2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.