cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buzzing from Power Transformer /Converter Charger!

aztecaa
Explorer
Explorer
It has been 6 years since i have been connected to shore power. I have been running off solar and using the generator off and on for the past 6 years.
I recently plugged into shore power 30 Amp service.
My converter is buzzing quite loudly... it has been doing so for some time. Is the converter actually going bad? It seems to be louder than I remember 6 years ago, though that may just be in my head. Regardless, it doesn't sound "normal" Any suggestions would be great. thanks!

Additional Details

1. The Power Transformer is behind the bottom kitchen drawer and I can hear it buzzing.
2. The Converter Charger 50 Amp is behind the circuit breakers under the Refrigerator and i can also hear it buzzing.
Not sure if they are both buzzing or one in vibrating through the floor to the other.
1994 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37' 460 Engine
2 Solar panels
2005 Four Winds Express Lite 25'
16 REPLIES 16

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Unfortunately the buzz box type often want a battery to stabilize their output. (looks at your palm and life line and comments that "I see a new converter in your future).
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

aztecaa
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:
azteca,

Your coach is old enough that it could just be a type of converter referred to as a Buzz-Box. These were regulated by being tuned to the 60Hz line frequency. They provide a very stable output voltage. There is one problem, most were set up to provide 14.4VDC. That is real good for the lights and stuff, but it will destroy batteries in relatively short order if you leave it on.

Why don't you read the tag on it and come back. In the mean time, leave it online only long enough to get a good charge on the house.

Matt

You are correct about the battery life. Since I have solar connected to the battery banks with a charge controller, How can I stop the Shore Power from Charging the battery banks?
Is there a fuse in the RV I can pull that will stop the Shore Power from Charging the batteries?

1994 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37' 460 Engine
2 Solar panels
2005 Four Winds Express Lite 25'

Shadow_Catcher
Explorer
Explorer
A VOM/multimeter is your friends what is the voltage being put out at the battery and my PD is virtually silent.

Lobstah
Explorer
Explorer
MountainAir05 wrote:
Does it do it with the gen and solar or both?

X2.

Your converter doesn't know the diff between shore power and gen power.
If the buzz/hum you're hearing only occurs on shore power, you most likely have a different issue.

Is the hum constant? What's the DC voltage at the batteries when it's humming?

Jim
2005 Pace Arrow 36D
Very Understanding Wife
1 Boxer 😞
3 Maine Coon cats

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
azteca,

Your coach is old enough that it could just be a type of converter referred to as a Buzz-Box. These were regulated by being tuned to the 60Hz line frequency. They provide a very stable output voltage. There is one problem, most were set up to provide 14.4VDC. That is real good for the lights and stuff, but it will destroy batteries in relatively short order if you leave it on.

Why don't you read the tag on it and come back. In the mean time, leave it online only long enough to get a good charge on the house.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would, and do, ignore it.

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Passin Thru wrote:
Buy a new one. The buzzing is the smoke inside the wires that is about to come out and consume you. Really if it bothers you just buy a new one.

A new one's going to buzz, too, O.P....and it'll probably have a fan to boot. If there's anything more annoying than the buzz of an old converter, it's the fan in a NEW converter!
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Buy a new one. The buzzing is the smoke inside the wires that is about to come out and consume you. Really if it bothers you just buy a new one.

Gale_Hawkins
Explorer
Explorer
We call our converter the Hummer. It is most loud when the batteries are really discharged or are aging to the point they drink a lot of water in our case.

Pass42
Explorer
Explorer
my 2001 Tradewinds had a loud buzz from the Heart Freedom 458... so bad the previous owner took it out of the circuit!!! I re-connected it, heard the buzz/hum, tightened the screws holding the sheet metal case together and 90% of the noise went away..........
2017 Montana High Country 375FL
2015 Ram 2500 Heavy Duty, Cummins 6.7, factory tow package, factory snow plow prep package

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Does it buzz when using generator.......shore power/generator power same 120V AC power.

So if noise is only when on shore power and not also when on gen power than buzz may be coming from transfer switch
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I hate the hum and the fan too. The "bright" folks who designed mine put the converter under the master bed. GRRRRRRRR.

You mention a transformer--do you mean a transfer switch?

I'm curious--how many watts of solar do you happen to have?

In my previous rv (1987) the Magnatec converter had a relay that disconnected the alternator charging circuit from the battery bank when shore power was being used. It hummed like mad--but at least it was under the dinette seat.

I too, would suggest upgrading to a better converter. The "big three" are Progressive Dynamics, Iota, and Power Max. All of them are good and all of them will blow away the older converter you currently have.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Could be normal- especially since it's so long since you've had to listen to it.

I've noticed the same thing- I'm so used to the dead quiet of boondocking that on the few occasions when I actually "camp" with hookups the converter's hum drives me crazy. But it's a normal sound, at least in my case.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Shadow_Catcher
Explorer
Explorer
Make and model, and likely you should replace it as it is likely a single stage converter i.e. Magnetek/Parallax which if you want/need a converter should be replaced with a Progressive Dynamics. You have a good bit invested in keeping batteries happy!