cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding extra sleeping spot in 2013 Sunstar 26 Class A

canuckystan
Explorer
Explorer
Still not convinced we want a C. I like the shorter A's and there is a 2013 Sunstar Winnebago 26 for a good price. But for 2 adults and 2 kids it's not ideal for sleeping arrangements. It has a dinette and a chair beside the door.

Has anyone ever replaced such a chair with some sort of recliner that would fit and be suitable for sleeping?
6 REPLIES 6

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would consider putting your kids in a tent. It gives you privacy and gives them some independence. If the weather is really bad, one can take the bed and the other can sleep on the floor.

We grew up as kids sleeping on a 25 foot boat all the time. Mom and Dad had the cabin and we slept on the deck. On tent camping trips we never slept with our parents. We had our own tents even as young kids.

fred42
Explorer
Explorer
canuckystan,

The 2013 Itasca Sunstar 26HE has the 158" wheelbase and a wheelbase/length ratio of 49%. It also has the lowest GVWR available: 16k. I have no personal experience, but some on this forum has experienced handling problems with this kind of setup.

Tiffin Allegros have a fiberglass roof that is molded to curve over the corner. I think Winnebago has a thinner roof that is bent over the edge. Tiffin also does a better job of wheelbases and GVWR.
2007 Tiffin Allegro 28DA

canuckystan
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. Kids are 13 and 10 and won't share a bed. We like the big windshield of the A but looking used and all the used ones we've seen are not family friendly. Also want a fiberglass roof and so far Winnebago is the only one around here that has that.

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
canuckystan,

Welcome to the Forums. Take your time doing your research. Ask LOTS of questions here and you'll get some great, practical advice from people who actually go RV'ing.

Yes, choosing the first RV can be a tough process. Give it time. From the time we started looking for our "first RV" until we finally decided, I spent about 2 years on these forums asking questions. We went from looking at small hybrid trailers to tow behind our Honda Odyssey to Travel Trailers towed by a full-size van, to Class C's and then finally we decided on the 36' Class A gasser in my signature TOWING the Odyssey. But due to our diligent research and the kind folk on this forum, we were able to purchase the right RV for us the first time. That's not an easy task, as you're finding out.

When we bought ours back in 2004, the majority of people didn't think a Class A was right for a family. And, quite frankly, there weren't many "family friendly" class A floorplans out there. But we found our dual-sofa layout to be a perfect solution for us. Now, almost 15 years later, I've yet to find a floorplan that we like better that would work for us (within our budget).

I had mentioned length in my first post. Unless you have a real solid reason for keeping the rig short, I'd highly recommend something in the 32' length, at least. You'll have both a dinette and sofa for sleeping arrangements, so you'll solve that issue right off the bat. Plus, invariably more storage for clothes & supplies, and perhaps more counter space for meal preparation.

If you have any pets, you'll appreciate the larger space as well. Over the years we've had the motorhome, we've always had a dog or two (medium size), so having extra space allows them to "find their spot" and hopefully not always be in the way.

How old are your children? When we bought ours, our youngest was less than a year old. So wifey insisted that whatever we buy have room to store the double stroller and actually set up the PlayPen(itentiary). LOL Our three youngest were all in car/booster seats, too, so seatbelt number & location was important. Our rig came with 12 belts: 3 on each sofa, 4 on the dinette, driver & passenger. Carefully check for the number and location in any rig you have. The kids will probably want to sit in different locations during the journey, so having an ample number of belts is important.

Well, as you're finding out, there's LOTS to think about. I liked the class A motorhomes over the C's as they generally give everyone a much better view out the front windows while travelling. But passengers in the living area of the rig should have decent windows to look out too.

Also, when looking at units, carefully check how accessible things are when the slides are retracted. Some units make access to cabinets, drawers and sometimes even the kitchen sink and bathroom difficult when the slides are in. We do overnight at rest areas/Walmarts/Flying J's/etc. when we're doing long trips, so it's nice to have access to as much as possible with the slides in.

There's probably hundreds of other things you'll need to think about, but just keep doing like you did on this post, and ask.

Good Luck,

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

canuckystan
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks hadn't really considered those things good points. Tough choosing the first rv

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
The floorplan I just looked at for that model mentions an optional "StudioLoft Bed" over the driver & passenger seats. I don't know what year that started to be available as an option, but you might want to see if you could find a unit which had one. Or, find out how much it would cost to install one.

Personally, I think you should be looking at a larger motorhome with 2 adults and 2 children. I'd suggest a minimum of 32', with 36' or so preferable.

A couple things I don't like about the floorplan is the split bathroom. If someone is in the shower, you split the motorhome in half. People are either "trapped" in the front part or the back part of the RV. For a couple, probably not a big deal. Kids, potential problem of them being separated from their toys, clothes, whatever. There also doesn't seem to be much wardrobe space for clothes. And I don't like that there is not a window on the passenger side, except the small door window, for the kids to look out while travelling. If you try to point something out to them on the right side of the vehicle, they probably won't be able to see it.

Again, not a bad floorplan for a couple, but I'd look for something bigger. In my opinion, you'll get more bang for your buck in the long run.

Good Luck in your search,

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.