cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding Fans to Norcold refers

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Bought a '02 Winnie Journey back in February and it came with a 2 door Norcold Model N842IM. The rig only had 70K on it so nearly everything looks brand new and has had very little use. It appeared the original owner ate out while traveling.

I searched the internet and didn't find that model on any recall lists. Then called Norcold service. They didn't find it on any recall lists either. I put myself on their owners list, just in case they get around to recalling this model in the future (it's happened before as the refer law suit progresses against them, they keep adding models to the list).

In order to get ahead of the curve on what could turn out to be an accident waiting to happen, I've added a 4" pancake fan to stir air inside the refrigerator section so the refer doesn't have to work too hard under normal circumstances. But I'd like to also add additional air movement fans outside under the cover. And that's the purpose of this thread...

Does anyone have some advice to offer about placement of pancake fans, which I assume most people use? Have any pictures of your installation? Or is a 4" tube fan in the chimney the best route?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.
14 REPLIES 14

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Jim@HiTek wrote:
SCVJeff wrote:
I'm using LED PWM dimmers off eBay. Fully assembled with knobs and terminals $4 delivered from China. Lemme know how the two speed works out, that might be another project.

BTW- I saw those fans on eBay for around $16 a few days ago

Amazon also has those fans for $19. Free shipping if you're a Prime member.

I looked at those dimmers on eBay and they are very inexpensive, but...I'm looking for a hands off approach so I think I'll just design a PWM (I have all the parts in stock) and have a couple thermodisks (also on eBay at a low price) trigger it.
your bench might be worse than mine. :C

Don't forget pix when done pleeze
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
DSDP Don wrote:
Jim.....just about any Norcold other than the 1200 LRIM 4 door have always worked well and cooled well. I don't think I would go too crazy adding components until you see how it works. The rear fan will probably beneficial on really hot days.

I do like the little computer fans that were placed inside and powered by the light, they keep the air moving.

Congrats on your new coach.

Thanks, Don! I'm really enjoying my newer coach...it only has 71,000 on it and though it's 14 years old, it really doesn't show it, mostly.

FYI, although I placed two fans in my older Dometic, in this Norcold I've only added one...and it seems to be doing the job even though we have 52% humidity here. I attached it to the ceiling on the right side of the refer section and set it back from the fins around 2" (compared to the 1/8" setback I used in the Dometic) to get more of an air splash on the other fins. So it seems with this setup, one fan works as well as two, so far.

I've been using the refer now full time since Feb. 8th, and as you say, it's worked and cooled well. No complaints.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Winnebago Journey, '02

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
SCVJeff wrote:
I'm using LED PWM dimmers off eBay. Fully assembled with knobs and terminals $4 delivered from China. Lemme know how the two speed works out, that might be another project.

Amazon also has those fans for $19. Free shipping if you're a Prime member.

I looked at those dimmers on eBay and they are very inexpensive, but...I'm looking for a hands off approach so I think I'll just design a PWM (I have all the parts in stock) and have a couple thermodisks (also on eBay at a low price) trigger it.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Winnebago Journey, '02

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer

Jeff - WA6EQU

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
SCVJeff wrote:
I just added 4ea. Noctura NF-12 fans to the upper exhaust vent. After doing way more research than I ever thought could be done on fans, these were chosen because they are EXTREMELY quiet for their CFM airflow, they're IP65 environmentally rated and can live in temps of 250 degrees plus. All 4 at full speed can barely be heard with your ear in the outside vent, and not at all inside, all while easily holding a piece of paper flush to the vent from suction. I run them on a PWM speed control at about 30% and when in LaQuinta a few weeks ago ran them on full at 95+ with the sun on the fridge side and was struggling to keep is above 28 degrees on temp set 4. The plan is to tie the PWM controller and fans to an ARP and let it run the show as needed.

If I did it again I would probably use only two fans but overkill is always good with these fridges.

Very nice job, Jeff. I've added the fans to my Amazon wish list. Great of you to do the engineering on the fans for me already! I think I'd just use a home designed PWM with a switch selectable speed control setup out in the vent along with a thermodisk or two for overall control. First TD closes, the fans come on at 30%. 2nd TD closes, goes to 95%.

As was mentioned, extra fans probably aren't necessary for this 2-door model on a fixed wall, but, I like doing projects, and this one looks to be fun.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'm up in the cool NW ATM and will probably tackle this project in late June or so. Or even later, depends on weather.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Winnebago Journey, '02

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
SCVJeff wrote:
Here we go again...
We got it, you have a compressor OK ?
Congratulations, we don't care

Someone needs coffee!! :B:B:B:B......Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Here we go again...
We got it, you have a compressor OK ?
Congratulations, we don't care
Jeff - WA6EQU

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another RV fridge story. YES you can add fans to it both inside of it and on the exterior. 12V computer fans work well and they have plenty of them on Ebay. For me, once I went to dorm & residential fridges, I've never looked back. I like frozen ice cream - it's really good on hot nights camping. You can even freeze a big block of ice before a day of driving and things will keep cold. Also you can run an inverter on a long day drive and run the fridge for an hour or so. All you can't do is boondock well...
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
I just added 4ea. Noctura NF-12 fans to the upper exhaust vent. After doing way more research than I ever thought could be done on fans, these were chosen because they are EXTREMELY quiet for their CFM airflow, they're IP65 environmentally rated and can live in temps of 250 degrees plus. All 4 at full speed can barely be heard with your ear in the outside vent, and not at all inside, all while easily holding a piece of paper flush to the vent from suction. I run them on a PWM speed control at about 30% and when in LaQuinta a few weeks ago ran them on full at 95+ with the sun on the fridge side and was struggling to keep is above 28 degrees on temp set 4. The plan is to tie the PWM controller and fans to an ARP and let it run the show as needed.

If I did it again I would probably use only two fans but overkill is always good with these fridges.

Jeff - WA6EQU

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
My install is in the link provided by 2oldman. PM if you have any questions....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Jim.....just about any Norcold other than the 1200 LRIM 4 door have always worked well and cooled well. I don't think I would go too crazy adding components until you see how it works. The rear fan will probably beneficial on really hot days.

I do like the little computer fans that were placed inside and powered by the light, they keep the air moving.

Congrats on your new coach.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Jim@HiTek wrote:
Also, thanks for linking to my RV repair blog post! I added those fans as shown in that 2nd link to my old Dometic '94 refer a couple years ago.
lol i didn't notice
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
That's a great link, 2oldman. I like the quad fans inserted into the upper vent. My kind of project. I've found my refer, since it's not in a slide, does not require a fan like the refers in kitchen slides do, so mine didn't come with one. But I will probably add two (or four) anyway, just to be erring on the side of caution.

Also, thanks for linking to my RV repair blog post! I added those fans as shown in that 2nd link to my old Dometic '94 refer a couple years ago.

I've already added one fan to my newer Norcold. It also has an incandescent automotive bulb so it's also easy to wire up since it can be done inside the refer. I haven't finished the wiring job on that one so no write up on my blog yet. Soon though.

For anyone with a curious nature, Norcold has a fan kit for installation in those refers in a slide, and you can see how and where they installed it here: Fan Installation - See page 36

I just found this document link. The copy I had was only a users guide...this link is a service manual. Happy I found it so I can add it to my document file.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Winnebago Journey, '02

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Some ideas here

..and here
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman