cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Advice/Direction towards 30'(+/-) Diesel Class C

Rock_Wells
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy! Looking for some suggestions on 30'(+/-) diesel class C's. Perfer a king sized bed, free standing dinette. Appreciate any thoughts...
Rock & Nan Wells
'17 Ram Laramie 3500 Diesel 4x4
'17 Keystone Sprinter 297FWRLS FW
6 REPLIES 6

Rock_Wells
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks netjam, just what I was looking for...
Rock & Nan Wells

netjam
Explorer
Explorer
look up Renegade, Dynamax, Jayco Seneca, etc....Diesel. king bed and some just over 30ft

Rock_Wells
Explorer
Explorer
To clairify, we've owned two class A's, one w/ a v-10, and one with a vortec 8.1L. Both were dogs, IMHO. Made the switch to 5W about 10mon ago, kinda sorry we did, except for the big Cummins in my ram. We don't need anything bigger than 33', and will need to tow a small to midsize SUV toad. Just curious if such a class c exists...
Rock & Nan Wells

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
In that size range, new diesel Cs are practically non-existent. Ford and GM no longer use diesel engines in the chassis that typically are found on that size motorhome. Smaller units (Transit or Sprinter) are available with diesel as are the larger ones built on either a Ford F550 or Ram 5500. There are some used diesel E450 based Cs, but they are very rare, and on that particular chassis there is a minimal fuel economy advantage and no real performance advantage to a diesel over the gas V10. Now, before anyone flames me, I'm ONLY referring to the Ford E450 van cutaway, NOT the pickup chassis where the diesel offers a significant performance advantage.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
this months motorhome mag has article on a new c with a dodge cab/chassis setup. I have not read it yet but take a look. I have seen some diesel c's based on the F450 cab/chassis. A c with a diesel is fairly rare, looked for one when we were looking, found a couple but they were not to the wifes desires.

A kingsize bed could be found in a SUPER C dont know. The smalles class A supposedly with a diesel pusher is the allegro red, but they are $$$. I think the littleist is 30 ft?

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why diesel?

Most class C's in that size range will be based on Ford E-series chassis, or the Chevy equivalent, with a gas engine. A diesel generally implies either a Sprinter chassis (usually a little smaller as it's a bit lighter chassis), a Ford Transist chassis with optional engine (smaller/lighter still), a Promaster chassis (very much smaller and lighter), or a super-C based on a heavier duty truck (usually larger and considerably more expensive).

If by a "free-standing dinette" you mean a table and separate chairs, that's pretty rare on a class C, though on some it would not be too terribly difficult to replace the existing built-in dinette with something more to your liking. Some do hide systems stuff in the dinette base, which would be problematic for such a conversion.

King size beds are also relatively rare. Queens or short queens are more common. Having a long bed in the back is somewhat difficult because it forces a long overhang to provide walking room around the bed aft of the wheel wells. There are some alternatives with "sideways" beds in slides that might be practical for a king sized bed, but offhand I'm not aware of any that actually have one.

On the whole, I almost get the feeling you're looking for large class A diesel pusher sorts of arrangements in a class C, and that's simply unlikely to happen. Maybe I'm misjudging that.