cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on unique oppotunity

clotus
Explorer
Explorer
Okay so here is my situation I am hoping to get some advice, thoughts, insight, or whatever you all have:

I currently have a 2017 Minnie Winnie 31K on E450 with a floorplan I love, but the rig doesn't seem to have the best fit n finish.

I have the opportunity to switch over to a 2007 Bigfoot 32ST Super C on the Kodiak 5500 chassis with Duramax diesel. Owned by my in-law and meticulously maintained. Floorplan isn't to my preference, but not is not far off.

I have always wanted a Super C, but I am concerned that due to the age and Bigfoot not making motorhomes since 2008, I do not want to get into something older that requires more work with minimal support available. On the other hand it seems Bigfoot made a solid product and the chassis seems to be similarly bulletproof like the E450, plus its a Super C with a solid fiberglass roof.

I understand there are many factors in this decision, but what would you do? I am really on the fence on this one.

Thanks!
Current: 2017 Winnebago 31K
(Sold): 5th wheel: 2015 Heartland Sundance XLT 245
19 REPLIES 19

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
clotus wrote:

I have the opportunity to switch over to a 2007 Bigfoot 32ST Super C on the Kodiak 5500 chassis with Duramax diesel. Owned by my in-law and meticulously maintained. Floorplan isn't to my preference, but not is not far off.

I have always wanted a Super C, but I am concerned that due to the age and Bigfoot not making motorhomes since 2008, I do not want to get into something older that requires more work with minimal support available.

Getting something you "want" with a known history and in great shape is a huge plus.
Regarding the chassis, I presume it's pre- tier IV emissions. The 05-07 LBZ Duramaxes are now kind of considered the "holy grail" of Duramax trucks. Had an 02 that was flawless (in a pickup).
Cool factor of a diesel and a Super C is off the charts if class Cs are your thing and you'd have more/efficient towing capacity.

Regarding the camper itself, generally campers are technological relics and also generally very similar for appliances or electronics.
Fit and finish aside, regardless of what brand you buy, youre likely getting the same "components." Having had a 2005, 2003 and now a 2017 camper, over the last 8 years or so, I don't see a measurable advantage to newer vs older for reliability.

And regarding value, yes, good time to capitalize on a sale and an even better time if you're getting a "deal" on the new one.
Subjectively, even once the market normalizes, or even if it gets bad, I feel a Bigfoot Duramax Super C will retain better value % than the million run of the mill class Cs and other high volume RVs.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
clotus wrote:

I have always wanted a Super C,

I understand there are many factors in this decision, but what would you do? I am really on the fence on this one.

Thanks!

Part 1 says "do it."
Part 2 says, none of us can advise you on your budget, the cost to swap or other subjective "factors."
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to switch, switch! And enjoy the super C.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
At this point I am not sure what "support" Bigfoot would offer anyway. Appliances are readily available as needed and structurally ,regular maintenance and repairs should take care of that.
Find a good Mobile RV mechanic vs brick and mortar and get the help you may need.
If it were me ( I repair my own stuff) I would go for it. Duramax is great, leave it stock. It goes fast enough and is strong enough.
When I read online about my Duramax the one's complaining have them chipped or performance mod. Also learn the proper maintenance of the diesel. Fuel filters, how to change, how to prime.
I use a fuel conditioner also. Diesel fuel has lost it "lubricity" I use Optilube XPD. Lucas is top line also.

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you can make the $$$ work go for the Bigfoot. In this market you should have no trouble getting top dollar for your Minnie Winnie. Keep us posted and remember without pictures it did not happen.

:B