cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice please Leaking Rubber roof Travelcraft

mitchymomma
Explorer
Explorer
The roof on our 1970's RV split. An interim owner had put on a rubber roof. (they purchased it from us years ago, then we purchased it back years later) We'd been trying to keep it sealed, but now, the rubber has split in several places and leaked all through to the inside. The interior ceiling has to be removed and replaced due to massive water damage. That part we think we can figure out.

Is there a way to repair the roof without removing the entire thing? We're not really even sure that would be possible since it is an aftermarket rubber roof, which was probably installed with contact cement. Also very confused on if there are any products that will actually stick to the rubber if we try to do a thorough patch job. We really can't afford $1000-$3000 to have the roof professionally redone. We've even wondered if there are other options of materials (ie: metal roofing) that we could use

Any suggestions? Would sincerely appreciate it. This is the RV my teenage son has grown up camping with his grandparents.
3 REPLIES 3

Gene_in_NE
Explorer II
Explorer II
There have been members that have sprayed the roof with the same material that is sprayed on the floor of a pickup box. Rhino is one of the material used - Click Here.

Not cheap, but as permanent as you can get.
2002 Trail-Lite Model 211-S w/5.7 Chevy (click View Profile)
Gene

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
For larger areas which it SOUNDS like you have, you can purchase EPDM material from many commercial roofing companies and create a patch glued to the old roof material and caulked at the edges or eternabonded instead of caulking (your call). I would recommend that the patch overlap the edge of the part that is damaged by six or eight inches.
Good luck / Skip
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Camreal
Explorer
Explorer
Clean it good and use strips of eternabond. It worked great for me a few years ago and you can buy online from Walmart