cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice regarding my air tool/compressor needs

Geocritter
Explorer
Explorer
I’m so impressed with the job that the 3/4" drive air impact wrench did for me on my shock absorber replacement that I’m rethinking my rigs air compressor “needs” (my needs really). For the last 28 years I’ve been spoiled with a 20 gallon 7.6CFM @ 100psi air compressor I purchased new in 1985. Unfortunately, it doesn’t fit in any of my storage bays, even with modifications. I’m thinking of purchasing a smaller 10 gallon 4.6CFM @ 90psi air compressor that does fit. The smaller compressor tops out at 120psi. Now here’s where my question comes in. The 3/4" drive air impact wrench I rented was rated at a max torque of 1,100 ft/lb and was designed to run on 6.6CFM and it did run very well powered by my 20 gallon air compressor. Would the same tool work at full torque for a short time, possibly 15-30 seconds on the 10 gallon air compressor at 120psi? I’m not really searching for speculation, but for input from people who’ve used these tools much more than I have. I realize that I can purchase a heavy duty electric impact wrenches, but the air compressor has some many other uses I’d prefer to go that route if possible. Also, I’ve noticed in my internet search that some of the better 1/2" drive air impact wrenches seem to develop adequate torque to meet my future needs. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help y’all can give me sorting this matter out.

Steve
14 REPLIES 14

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
just find you a Snap-On Tool dealer and buy a 1/2 inch impact that delivers over 800 ft # of torque.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Geocritter wrote:
Scott,
I believe you solved my problem, by Jove! I'll just remove the 2-hp electric motor and compressor from the top of my air tank and mount it on an adjacent platform with a flex line connecting it to the tank. With the height gone it'll easily fit in my bay. I already have about 30 ft of air hose so access to my tires or nearly anything else on my rig isn't a problem no matter where I put it.

BTW, you talk about off-roading, in the mid-70's I lived in Menlo Park and had a neighbor who was heavily into off-roading. He used to talk about doing emergency welding by connecting the groups car batteries together with jumper cables to make an emergency DC welder. In southern Illinois we used to build winches using the gear box from a residential furnace coal stoker and a car starting motor, necessity truly is the mother of invention. You off-roaders are my kind of people! Makes me want to own a 4WD again.

Steve

Steve,
Glad I could be of some assistance in your venture in the "air powered world". Yep, we've been on many outings when at least two batteries were grouped together for an emergency weld. The problem as you would know is, there's absolutely "0" control over the amperage. So, you better have some welding experience so you don't "fry" whatever you're trying to repair.

I don't if you're aware or not but, there's been some pretty keen improvements in the "Off road repair" in last part of the century. One is called the "Mobi-weld". It's a simple, trigger controlled, wire feed welder, in a small case, about the size of 3/8" drill case and, uses auto batteries for power. Pretty nifty for those "outback" repairs. There are others out there to that utilize your alternator and a control box. They're move complicated but, more controllable too.

Anyway, if and when you set this "mobile air supply" up, take care as to the precautions that air, when compressed, get's HOT, so, the line(s) from the compressor to the tank, must be able to tolerate heat. Other than that, have fun setting it up. Take pics. Let us know how it comes out.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Geocritter
Explorer
Explorer
Scott,
I believe you solved my problem, by Jove! I'll just remove the 2-hp electric motor and compressor from the top of my air tank and mount it on an adjacent platform with a flex line connecting it to the tank. With the height gone it'll easily fit in my bay. I already have about 30 ft of air hose so access to my tires or nearly anything else on my rig isn't a problem no matter where I put it.

BTW, you talk about off-roading, in the mid-70's I lived in Menlo Park and had a neighbor who was heavily into off-roading. He used to talk about doing emergency welding by connecting the groups car batteries together with jumper cables to make an emergency DC welder. In southern Illinois we used to build winches using the gear box from a residential furnace coal stoker and a car starting motor, necessity truly is the mother of invention. You off-roaders are my kind of people! Makes me want to own a 4WD again.

Steve

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Jagtech wrote:
Off-roaders often just carry a tank of CO2 fitted with a regulator to power their air tools. More compact than a compressor, and requires no electricity, so operates anywhere. Various sized tanks are available, both new and used. Depending on the size, they will last quite a while, and certainly have enough volume to power that 3/4" gun, or air up some tires. They can be refilled at any welding shop, or many soda pop bottling facilities. A regulator is necessary as the CO2 tank pressure is around 1000 psi.

Well Sir,
I'll beg to differ with you on this. We Jeeped for over 25 years with (7) different Jeep Wranglers. We owned (1)CJ-5, (2)CJ-7s, (2)YJs, and (2)TJs, the last one being an '04 Rubicon. All seven Jeeps were setup with an on board, engine driven air compressor. Every one of those air compressors lived an earlier life as an air conditioner pump. Some of our Jeeps had disguised air tanks. Things like bumpers, nerf bars etc. were actually air tanks. But, air tanks are more of novelty than a necessity in the off road world. It all depends on your priorities on what you want to carry in those small storage vehicles. Jeeps like that are small in terms of storage so, all 20 of us ran those same exact pumps as compressors and none had refillable air tanks.

Yes, some folks carry a tank but, not all that many. That's not to say they don't work, they will but, the on board compressor was and still is superior to an air tank.

Geocritter,
Now, this is another idea for you to take a look at. I've built several home air compressors out of automobile air conditioning pumps. I used the York and Tecumseh models for quite a few of them and, even a rotary "Sanden" one too. Those A/C pumps are capable of some seriously high pressure, (as demonstrated by their ability to handle pressures like 300 in A/C operations).

But, all that's needed is a good working York style with a "still working magnetic clutch", a 1HP electric motor, a small pulley, a pressure switch (Square D makes most of them) and some sort of tank.

The motor and pump can be mounted on a flat platform and then mounted anywhere that will accommodate it. Then, just plumb in the pressure switch and, you can get an air tank from any truck wrecking yard and mount it along the frame some place, out of the way and sight. Then, setup a remote gauge for you pressure readings and, an outlet or two for your convenience. We did it on the Jeeps all the time. One outlet on either each side of the Jeep or, one at the back and one in the front.

Depending on your pulley size, that pump will be very close to a 2.5-3HP Sears home air compressor in SCFM. Those pumps carry their own supply of oil. The oiling system is very similar to the oiling system in the old Briggs and Stratton small vertical engines, a splash type system.

Yes, you can buy a compressor but, this method will give you versatility in mounting different components in various places so as to not take up a ton of room in one spot and, still get a seriously nice performing Air compressor. Just a thought here.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

popeye766
Explorer
Explorer
Yes on CO2....when I was off roading in the desert I had a small bottle like that to blow out carbs and fill tires.....worked perfect.

Jagtech
Explorer
Explorer
Off-roaders often just carry a tank of CO2 fitted with a regulator to power their air tools. More compact than a compressor, and requires no electricity, so operates anywhere. Various sized tanks are available, both new and used. Depending on the size, they will last quite a while, and certainly have enough volume to power that 3/4" gun, or air up some tires. They can be refilled at any welding shop, or many soda pop bottling facilities. A regulator is necessary as the CO2 tank pressure is around 1000 psi.
1998 Triple E F53
1995 Jeep Wrangler toad

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 6 gallon 150 PSI Sears pancake compressor. fits in one of the bays just fine. will run an impact wrench.
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
X2 on a good electric impact.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Geocritter
Explorer
Explorer
FIRE UP wrote:
Geocritter wrote:
One of my issues is that my RV is also my home. Currently I have a storage space nearby, mainly for family keepsakes and for now, my extra tools. However when I hit the road in a month or two the storage space won't be so convenient, hence my desire to have tools with me that can git-r-done. BTW I purchased a torque multiplier and didn't have much luck with it. I talked to the Snap-on tool man about it (I didn't purchase it from him). He said that they're made more for tightening bolts and not for untightening. I just don't know what to believe. He also offered to loan me an air impact wrench, but like a fool I didn't take him up on it.
Steve

Geocritter,
The Torque Multiplier I was talking about is this one:

Torque Multiplier

It's primarily for lug nuts that are seriously tight. I suppose it could be used for other purposes but, it would be real awkward in may situations. The torque multiplier you may be talking about may look more like a ratchet head than anything I'm speaking of. Yes, mine is primarily a single purpose tool but, it does that purpose outstandingly well. I can sit on my a$$ and with one arm, break free all 10, 450 lb. lug nuts without "breaking" a sweat. But, again, it's primarily a single purpose tool.

Good luck on setting up Shop while in your travels. It would be nice to have all my tools while out on the road. But, I'm finding that more and more, I just want to relax while out there, I'll fix things when I get home.
Scott

This is the one I bought
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HD-Torque-Multiplier-Truck-Trailer-RV-Lug-Nut-Wrench-Labor-Saving-Wrench-1-64-/190914547721?pt=US_Hand_Tools&hash=item2c7364d009
I got this one because I thought the sliding stop would help. It just didn't seem to work, then I realized that with its size and weight it wouldn't work in other areas at all, I guess it was a foolish purchase on my part, live and learn. I like your attitude about waiting until you get home to do maintenance and repairs, but in my case my RV is my home.

I've done plenty of roadside repairs in my life, for myself and for people in need, so it doesn't bother me as long as I have the tools.

Steve

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Geocritter wrote:
One of my issues is that my RV is also my home. Currently I have a storage space nearby, mainly for family keepsakes and for now, my extra tools. However when I hit the road in a month or two the storage space won't be so convenient, hence my desire to have tools with me that can git-r-done. BTW I purchased a torque multiplier and didn't have much luck with it. I talked to the Snap-on tool man about it (I didn't purchase it from him). He said that they're made more for tightening bolts and not for untightening. I just don't know what to believe. He also offered to loan me an air impact wrench, but like a fool I didn't take him up on it.
Steve

Geocritter,
The Torque Multiplier I was talking about is this one:

Torque Multiplier

It's primarily for lug nuts that are seriously tight. I suppose it could be used for other purposes but, it would be real awkward in may situations. The torque multiplier you may be talking about may look more like a ratchet head than anything I'm speaking of. Yes, mine is primarily a single purpose tool but, it does that purpose outstandingly well. I can sit on my a$$ and with one arm, break free all 10, 450 lb. lug nuts without "breaking" a sweat. But, again, it's primarily a single purpose tool.

Good luck on setting up Shop while in your travels. It would be nice to have all my tools while out on the road. But, I'm finding that more and more, I just want to relax while out there, I'll fix things when I get home.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since you have a class A and I presume a Generator look at 110 volt impact wrench. I did try the air impact wrench on a small harbor freight compressor VS a nice OLD Craftsmen. I could not loosen the lug nuts on my tires while hooked up to the small compressor but could with the larger compressor. I did not want to haul that big compressor around so I bought a electric model impact wrench. It loosens 250 ft LB lug nut easily. I did not try higher because I do not need higher. I just carry the small compressor to fill tires and operate my air powered hydraulic jack (oh how I like that piece of equipment).
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

Geocritter
Explorer
Explorer
Steve

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Geocritter,
Well Sir, as has been stated, a 3/4" gun will deplete your "intended" little compressor almost instantly. I too have had the pleasure of having home air, a Sears 20 Gallon, two horse unit for the first 20 years and the one we have now, a 30 Gallon, 3 horse unit for about 19 years. This 3-horse unit is set for 150 psi cut out. It will handle a 3/4" gun, efficiently for about 10-15 seconds of full trigger pull. After then, it's no more power than a reasonable 1/2" gun.

Yes, you need MASSIVE volume and, at sustained psi. in order for full value of high torque tools to operate efficiently. I too like air tools and having the ability to use them if and when needed. But, in reality, just how much "big" work are you or I, planning on doing while out on the road? I too do all my own work and, it's very handy to have air tools giving assistance when and where needed but, a couple of things prohibit this.

1. Like what's been stated, you need high volume and high pressure for just about any of them to be of real value.

2. And, since the one you're thinking of is not anywhere near what you'd need one for, you'd need a seriously larger one to accommodate the drive needed for those tools, and you say you don't have the storage capacity for such a large unit.

3. Then, there's the tools themselves. There's lots of weight there and, volume of space needed for, whatever ones you plan on toating with you on your adventures.

Don't get me wrong here, I commend you for thinking that way. Being as prepared as one could be is always nice. I was thinking along the same lines when preparing for a "just in case" situation with my lug nuts, if ever the need arose for removal. 450 ft.lbs. of torque is fairly tough to deal with out on the road or, even at home most of the time. So, long story short, I was thinking of a 3/4" gun and large volume hose, adapters for small line to big line etc. etc. but, instead, I purchased a Torque Multiplier that is seriously strong enough to break those lug nuts loose, if ever needed.

So, just some info for you if it's of any value. Take care.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
The smaller unit will never keep up to that big honker, you will be constantly waiting for it to recover. Most compressors will put out 100+psi, you need volume. 1/2"gun will not consume as much air but likely won't have the power you want.