cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AGM Battery Question

flyfishing48
Explorer
Explorer
Flooded batteries come deep cycle and cranking. The AGM batteries that Camping World has on sale are shown as "Dual Purpose". Aren't AGM batteries designed as deep cycle and cranking or they in fact dual purpose?
Not looking to buy a battery right now, just want to know.
Gloria & Tom::R
Chevy 2500 Crew Cab Duramax
Cougar 24 RDS
B&W Companion Hitch
18 REPLIES 18

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
All Golf batteries are made to deep cycle while you cruise the 18 holes.
No starting involved.

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
RVROSE wrote:
Let me rephrase my question.

Are 6 volt, deep cycle - non marine flooded batteries really available?

I havne't done an exhaustive search yet, but will do so by Spring. Right now my rig is sitting outside without any house batteries. The chassis battery is doing OK, but it's an easier thing to replace.

The answer is yes. Most RVers use 6 volt flooded golf cart batteries.
Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

RVROSE
Explorer
Explorer
Let me rephrase my question.

Are 6 volt, deep cycle - non marine flooded batteries really available?

I havne't done an exhaustive search yet, but will do so by Spring. Right now my rig is sitting outside without any house batteries. The chassis battery is doing OK, but it's an easier thing to replace.
2005 Kountry Star with a 4 cyl. Saturn Vue with stick shift.
Mike and Rose and Pepper, our All-American black lap dog.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a good article on AGMs. They need a different charger than an ordinary 12 V charger to make them last. The chargers I have used on AC batteries were expensive so I don't care for the batteries Though they are great in Airplanes and boats. Deep cycle marine batteries have a better clearance between the lead plates and the bottom of the battery. When a lead acid battery becomes discharged both electrodes undergo chemical changes to form lead sulphate and eventually the battery dies from buildup on the floor or bottom of the battery which causes it to touch the lead plates.
http://www.cmmonline.com/articles/231347-learning-about-agm-batteries

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
RVROSE wrote:
Are Deep Cycle - non marine flooded batteries really available?

Yes. Almost every manufacturer makes them.
Harold and Linda
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
I have 3 Concord marine deep cycle 8D AGM batteries in the motorhome. 158 lbs. each.
Take a look at Interstate. The SCS series is marine deep cycle, used for trolling motors. The BCI series is marine deep cycle/starting.

Do a search for trolling motor batteries. Almost every manufacturer makes them. Some are designated as marine, some are not.

Cabelas sells bateries that are labeled marine/RV. Not sure who they are made by, never checked.

Did you read my second post? Thought I explained the two types quite clearly. Deep cycle and deep cycle/staritng. Two different animals.
Harold and Linda
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
harold1946 wrote:
Not all marine deep cycles are dual purpose. They are engineered for totaly different purposes.
One is a "true" deep cycle engineered for trolling motor use and is used by most tournament or avid fishermen.
The marine deep cycle/starting battery is used not only as a starting battery, but power the electronics, ie. fish locators, lights, depth sounders, live well pumps etc.
The internal construction of a marine battery is quite different than a standard deep cycle and is not needed in an RV, plus they are more expensive.

Harold, I both agree and disagree.
The Trolling battery is a true deep cycle, it is labeled Trolling OR Deep cycle

The Marine/Deep cycle is the Dual Purpose primarily starting battery

I HAVE LOOKED for trolling batteries, yet to find 'em.

I have however found Deep Cycle FLA's in many sizes. Including a couple you do not want to put in your motor home (Cause they are too heavy)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
RVROSE wrote:

Sure, golf cart batteries for example.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

RVROSE
Explorer
Explorer
2005 Kountry Star with a 4 cyl. Saturn Vue with stick shift.
Mike and Rose and Pepper, our All-American black lap dog.

flyfishing48
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the replies.
Now I have a better idea about what to look for when replacing house batteries.
Gloria & Tom::R
Chevy 2500 Crew Cab Duramax
Cougar 24 RDS
B&W Companion Hitch

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
The LifeLine technology was developed for aircraft. There is a lot more current draw while starting a turbine engine than there is for starting a diesel.

I have one for the chassis and two for the house that were installed in January of 2004.

So, I guess you could say that they are dual purpose but I wouldn't say that for any other brand.

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
I put a AGM in my Saturn a year ago. Sam's Club offered regular flooded cell and AGM. I went the extra $50. for the AGM and corrosion free. I enjoy the clean maintenance free part.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
Not all marine deep cycles are dual purpose. They are engineered for totaly different purposes.
One is a "true" deep cycle engineered for trolling motor use and is used by most tournament or avid fishermen.
The marine deep cycle/starting battery is used not only as a starting battery, but power the electronics, ie. fish locators, lights, depth sounders, live well pumps etc.
The internal construction of a marine battery is quite different than a standard deep cycle and is not needed in an RV, plus they are more expensive.
Harold and Linda
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
flyfishing48 wrote:
Flooded batteries come deep cycle and cranking. The AGM batteries that Camping World has on sale are shown as "Dual Purpose". Aren't AGM batteries designed as deep cycle and cranking or they in fact dual purpose?
Not looking to buy a battery right now, just want to know.
What battery? Have a link?

AGM tends to have superior CCA even for a deep cycle so they are marketed as both even if primarily designed for deep cycle.