cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Air Conditioner from engine

onthebus
Explorer
Explorer
I have a National RV Sea view with a ford triton 10 engine. the air conditioner is not working. The fan runs but there are two problems. There is a valve that directs air to defrost or cabin and the valve will not change air flow direction. The fan runs and the air is not cooled. Seems like a relay problem but I don't know how to analyze or maybe it's something else entirely. Thanks for any help you can give.
7 REPLIES 7

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Valve,you mentioned, is called an Air Dam or Air door. is likely operated by ending vacuum and a vacuum motor.

If there is no vacuum the system defaults to DEFROST so check for air out the defrost vents.

Causes of no vacuum and I've see all these over 50 years of cars

Broken vacuum hose
Hose off fitting
Connector off valve
And the one that really got me was a cruse control solenoid (Also a vacuum device) which got religion.. Yup. it was HOLEy.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
The Dash AC system is NOT Ford. So, Ford cannot help you. The compressor IS Ford. The system should be Evans Tempcon. Click on this link and follow to the troubleshooting guide. Output to the various ducts is Vacumm controlled by the Ford engine. Odds are the Vacumm hose is old and leaking or fell off. Doug

https://proairllc.com/design-engineering/evans-tempcon-guides/

onthebus
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the analysis. I'll check out hose leak and move on from there.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
diverter door or its control module.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
As above, vacuum drives the air controls, but with some models, loss of refrigerant can also cause the default to defrost.

A bad compressor or clutch as well as a holed line or evaporator would all be suspects.
Can you see the compressor? Is the clutch engaging? If so, have you tried adding a can of refrigerant?

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Offhad I suspect a vacuum system problem; if memory serves, the controls for the heater and air conditioner are vacuum actuated on the chassis. I'd hunt for a bad hose or a cracked or otherwise compromised accumulator for the HVAC controls. It may well be buried someplace not too accessible behind the dashboard.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
All the doors that direct the air flow run by vacuum and default to defrost when vacuum is lost.